The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
greenechidna

Removing spines

Just about to pot a bridgesii with really long spines, noob question do you remove the bottom couple of rows of spines before planting or leave them on for stability. Was planning on removing them with side cutters or pruning sheers. Thanks 

:):)

A personal choice really..

I myself prefer clearing spines / pruning / before wintering indoors, for purposes of safety and convenience.

Stability should be achieved by proper root development in the pot. If you're repotting a long cactus, there need to be an adequate support provided /sticks,bars/ alongside in the pot, untill the roots are well established. There need to be enough heavy ingredients in the pot /rocks,sand/ to make it a stable base for the future development of the column too.:):)

Edited by mysubtleascention
  • Like 2

i worry not about spines or anything else...toss some soil in a pot, add cutting, then more soil, then stand 4-5 bricks vertical between the cutting & the pot  if there's room, if not then big rocks & leave it that way til its rooted.    bricks  or rocks stabilize the cutting & add warmth to the soil which promotes root growth.

colossusTIPDSC_0096.thumb.jpg.578dbd8b5af9bf392e0cc6d387e32b8f.jpg

• Like 7