The Corroboree
TheMooseZeus

Khat use!

Hey all!

Do any of you have experience with Khat?

What are your thoughts on the effects and what situations do you find yourself using it?

- Cheers all!

25 minutes ago, withdrawl clinic said:

war in yemen, might very well be a khat drug war...:(

Fueled by Khat or fought over it?

Would be interested in reading any good articles about Yemen and khat and any potential links to their countries conflicts

All the khat trees I've seen in Australia aren't being hedged, that is why they lack potency.

They need to be grown like a tea bush, it's the young growing shoots which are useful.

I met a chewer who would drive a 4 hour round trip every month or two and ask for tips. He was a dark-skinned guy from Egypt, maybe a mix of arab and black. Anyway he would always knock and ask respectfully which I very much appreciated.  He said he was in love with khat and the feeling was absolutely wonderful. No one else I know could ever get any feeling off the plant (pretty weird). Other full African dudes would come at night and raid it. Eventually I dug up the whole tree and gave it to the dark Egyptian guy who would always ask so kindly. It was just a stock standard red khat from SAB. I wondered if it was because he had African DNA or whatever, but he said one of his white Aussie mates was a big time chewer as well.

It's a real mystery this plant. I think it may take many weeks of chewing to get the effects, but do you really wanna get hooked on something that will send you on 4 hour drives just to get your fix. 

The addiction seems to be quite strong, with fairly negative side effects. Plus it's illegal etc.

• Sad 1

On 29/06/2019 at 9:31 PM, Mosh said:

All the khat trees I've seen in Australia aren't being hedged, that is why they lack potency.

They need to be grown like a tea bush, it's the young growing shoots which are useful.

Also, the tender young shoots are much easier to chew than woody old branches.

• Like 2

^although too young, and you just seem to eat them.

1 hour ago, SayN said:

^although too young, and you just seem to eat them.

Ain't nothin wrong with that! They're full of vitamin c and other nutrients.

I had a plant a while back and I can remember thinking how terrible it tasted, but then wanting more. It made me feel really focused, yet also relaxed. Definitely a pleasant experience. I think it had an appetite suppressant effect as well.

• Like 1