The Corroboree
niggles

Kava in australia?

Hi! Not sure where else to post this so chill space it is. 

Apparently kava is legal in australia now and i know some people find it very effective for anxiety. I would like to source some for this purpose,  wondering if anyone knows a good place to get any.  I would like to buy the some not in overpriced pill form,  would like to work out dosage and administration myself. 

Let me know! 

• Like 1

Tragically as far as I am aware nowhere to buy it in natural form in Australia (nor legal to do so)... there used to be some mighty fine product available...

• Thanks 1

Kava was always legal, but import restrictions came in several years ago which made it hard to get hold of. I think 2kg can be brought in with travellers for personal consumption but commercial imports were stopped.

I too miss the days I could walk into the Fiji market on King St Newtown and buy a kilo of waqa for $20 or so...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Wile E. Peyote said:

I've seen it on gumtree quite regularly.

Ebay too....I know nothing about kava though so no idea about what the quality would be like

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/KAVA-PIPER-METHYSTICUM-NOBLE-BORONGORU-VARIETY-FROM-VANUATU-200g/153186835200?hash=item23aaa59b00:g:r~sAAOSwiqNboj9v:rk:3:pf:0

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/TONGAN-PURE-KAVA/202444487450?hash=item2f22a1bb1a:g:bC8AAOSwnnVZihjq:rk:2:pf:0

• Like 1

Vanuatu is where it is at.. it has the full kavalactone profile.... Kava from Fiji and elsewhere lacks a number of the {best} kavalactones..

Edited by tarenna
grammatical corrections
  • Like 1

Not sure about down your way, but in the north its still illegal to posses or sell a commercial quantity. You can grow your own. Whats called 'Hawaiian Black' in Australia is the easiest variety to come by. If any one has any others, please let me know.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

late to the party, but the fijian store in Newtown is the cheapest ive found by a margin

• Like 1

Do seeds exist of this plant? Or is it the type of thing only propagated via cuttings? 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Caster said:

Do seeds exist of this plant? Or is it the type of thing only propagated via cuttings? 

Not sure if seeds can be found and im fairly sure its grown by rhizome - Check out Herbalistics, pretty sure they stock it 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Caster said:

yeah, it doesn't set seed. Only grows from cuttings. Naturally it propagates via layering. I find it a pain in the arse to propagate though, and its the most needy plant in my garden... 

On 18/10/2018 at 12:57 PM, niggles said:

Hi! Not sure where else to post this so chill space it is. 

Apparently kava is legal in australia now and i know some people find it very effective for anxiety. I would like to source some for this purpose,  wondering if anyone knows a good place to get any.  I would like to buy the some not in overpriced pill form,  would like to work out dosage and administration myself. 

Let me know! 

Hey niggles, I've got natural material from my harvest last summer. Swing me a pm...

• Like 2

Big pharma are all over it. Can buy capsules over the counter at most chemists.