The Corroboree
TheMooseZeus

Encouraging pine lovers!

Hey!

My garden sufficiently lacks mushrooms, I have access to pine needles, pine wood chips and eucalyptus chips.

My idea starting from the ground up

A layer of potting soil or just your normal Bunnings stuff.

Then a mix of pine and eucalyptus chips (preferably old and rotting)

Then finally some pine needles on top which should decay fairly quickly.

I could even try this small scale in a large plant pot

To inoculate this i would get my hands on some pine loving edible or even just decorative fungi prints and start them off in wet cardboard (I could start on agar but i love being low low caveman tek) Then bury them once they start to take off.

The idea of this is to diversify the ecosystem in my modest (Tiny) garden and maybe just get a bit of food from it :lol::lol: 

Any advice would be greatly appreciated 

Edited by TheMooseZeus
  • Like 1

I recently found out that newsprint paper is made from pulp from radiata pine... This could be a reliable medium for starting mycelial growth 

(Will probably start the patch after X-mas when everyone puts their trees out on the street

Edited by TheMooseZeus
  • Like 2

I wonder if saffron milk caps could be cultivated this way.

• Like 1

G'day,

Saffron milk cap and slippery jack are mycorrhizal, so you would need a living pine tree (or other compatible host) to welcome them into your garden. This isn't likely to be feasible for a tiny garden.

You can definitely make outdoor patches without much difficulty. There is a thread stickied about this:

Edited by Pseudo Mexican
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Pseudo Mexican said:

G'day,

Saffron milk cap and slippery jack are mycorrhizal, so you would need a living pine tree (or other compatible host) to welcome them into your garden. This isn't likely to be feasible for a tiny garden.

You can definitely make outdoor patches without much difficulty. There is a thread stickied about this:

I got a hold of some pine seeds and have planted them out, i'll keep them in pots for now and see what happens :) 

There is some procedures online on how to inoculate Pinus species with mycorrhizal Lactarius deliciosus slurry. Here's one link>>>https://www.semanticscholar.org/paper/Production-of-Pinus-halepensis-seedlings-inoculated-Díaz-Carrillo/2c6252310cefe5bfef6330c1d72f027f041e8516

Look into Blewits, or Lepista nuda. It grows among leaf litter, similar to the ingredients you have on hand and is a superior edible to the ones you're asking about. Also Stropharia rugosannulata.

• Like 3

All of the pine loving edibles are mycorrhizal. as Karode mentioned above, create a slurry, or print onto foil and then wash into water. and pour over your plants/around your trees.

you dont need chips or needles.

also mycorrhizal fungi often need to find their host fairly quickly or the mcelium dies, and then you have to take into account existing mycorrhizal relationships.

truffle orchard growers for example go to a lot of effort to ensure the truffles are the only species.

• Like 1