The Corroboree
TheMooseZeus

Alcohol, bars and drinking culture...

Australia is pretty well known for it's drinking culture.

Alcohol is a weird one too. The world health organisation recently changed the "Safe" dosage of alcohol from 3 standard drinks to 0...

It's pretty well known for it's poison to both the biological body, the mind and society.

Bars are interesting - Take the alcohol out of the equation and there's not a lot left. making bars by nature a toxic environment. 

A friend recently pointed out that if a berry had the same effect as a high dosage of alcohol - The plant would immediately be classified toxic and no one would bother with it again... This to be fair isn't enough to stop her from drinking.

I know many people who detest alcohol for it's negative qualities yet in a social situation fall back on it.

I've become increasingly confused as to where the appeal in "going out Friday nights" lies, in the social environment or the substance. 

I occasionally have a few drinks to make things bearable when around others in such a lowered state of consciousness and it sure works a treat. I am able to join in on half assed conversation surrounding and praising the ego.

More importantly - what are your thoughts on the topic?

(This comes from a point of fear of becoming an outcast in society. This fear further proving how huge of an impact alcohol has on us as a society)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I tend to agree that alcohol (ethanol) as a drug is way more prevalent in society than it should be. I understand that it's an effective social lubricant; but when people feel they need the drug to express themselves openly, it becomes nothing more than an unhealthy psychological crutch. I'm fine with occasional use, but the prevalence of drinking culture throughout the civilized world is a major problem. It's not hard to discredit drinking culture considering an Australian survey found that alcohol killed 5,554 people and hospitalized 147,132 in 2010.

I would love if the government appointed a body to brows the literature and find, test and eventually allow the free-market sale of safer alternative substances for recreational use. We're living in the information age and people are drinking themselves to death on a substance which may have been first produced as far back as the neolithic period. It would be nice if the Overton window shifted to a place where such ideas could be attempted in reality.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Responsible Choice said:

Don't get me started...

Mmmm, too late, me thinks. Thankfully you started a long time ago. Just don't stop. :)

• Like 2

Mr Thorn said the current disparities in alcohol restrictions needed to be addressed, especially because of the higher levels of alcohol-related harm in regional areas.

"More country people get killed in road crashes, there are higher levels of alcohol-related family violence, higher levels of alcohol-related suicides," he said.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-10-09/country-events-and-alcohol-have-a-difficult-relationship/10355088  :(

Hang on werent they saying a few years ago that a glass of wine is good for you? So if thats no longer true why should we believe th heir current idea of "truth"? Theyll just change their mind in a few years and there will be a new "truth" but because theyre "scientists" were just meant to believe them prima facie because what are you anti science or something?

17 hours ago, DiscoStu said:

what are you anti science or something?

Lol, an ignominious punishment awaits the non believer/s and those whom do not abide by the holy science.

tend to agree with the comments.

but, this is more about australian culture than it is about alcohol.

the use of chicha across latin america, for example, is instructive, and in pre-columbian times had quite the opposite reputation than toxicity to the body and poison to society.

i just think it is important to keep in context, what bias is implied, in making alcohol itself out to be the problem.

i would guarantee, if a berry had the same effect as alcohol, we'd be eating them by the bucket full. and indeed, what else is a fermented grape but a berry?

you know, in the old day's I could get blasted at the local pub,

and my trusted horse, would safly drive me home! :)

• Like 1

Yeah, you can't even ride a horse these days. That's drink driving. (somehow, don't tell me how)

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Northerner said:

Yeah, you can't even ride a horse these days. That's drink driving. (somehow, don't tell me how)

Not if the horse knows where its going

The obscurities of modern civilisation, Alcahol being allowed while other substances are not.

I think its influenced and partially built upon controlling people, either through the church originally (outlawing other substances such as mushrooms/achuma etc as they are spiritual tools used by other cultures beliefs) and then built upon further by governments who are influenced by old ways and their own agendas. 

To be honest the more I learn about other drugs the more I wonder why Alcohol is so socially accepted and other things are not, people call it a social lubricant but what about the 15% of people who get on it and start becoming anti-social, wanting to fight or hurt themselves. 

Anyway, thats a bit of a rant of mine. Its just all part of the weird world we live in. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1