The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
withdrawl clinic

bird watching stories nature observations

hi!

in my small town, we got a lot of birds.

at times, I talk on the phone, and people remark, to you have an aviary?

so I say:

birds are direct ancestors of dinosaurs, many of them can fight.

there brain is, small but contain a very good cpu!

a small bird can take, a smaller 180 bend, and it saves it's life.

once, I saw a fairy wren doing he's court ship dance! :)

he was dancing his butt off,

jumping and hopping,

displaying his feathers, in an MTV, style of way.

the small bird had cleaned a small area for his performance,

some was bare rock (gabbro) some cleared red soil.

the male was dancing, and three female suitors appeared,

out of nowhere.

lil wren, had chosen his stage well,

the girls, watched him dance from the savety,

of some low hanging branches of a,

brachichiton acerfolius.

me thinks he was lucky,

flying of with a female suitor.

Edited by withdrawl clinic
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Yo PH/WC...

Birds enrich our existences so much. Thanks for your story. When I have a bit more time I will share some of my own and a few piccies.

Go well and enjoy the bird circus that is Spring!!

• Like 2

Recently I was sitting out back in my cactus patch having a think when this magpie flew in only a few meters away with a giant grasshopper in its beak. The magie proceeded to smash it against the ground and eat it, legs and then head. Flew away leaving the body behind.

:)

• Like 2

Recently a got a decent pair of binoculars and took them inland a bit this weekend. Around where i camped i watch water dragons swim around the dam and watched a water moniter scale a tree. Not too many birds though but a fair few cows

• Like 1

There is a large variety of birds where i am, i am listening to the different songs from the surrounding bush around me as i write this, quite meditative and relaxing to listen to. 

There is a bird bath in view from the kitchen and living area, it's a joy to watch the birds interacting around it and enjoying a splash/wash, also the kitchen and living area where i am doesn't have any walls so birds will occasionally fly through while sitting there, magpies and butcher birds will fly in and perch sometimes very closely to me and sing or chirp with hopes of me throwing some scraps or leftovers from dinner, they often try steal some dog bikkies but will usually get chased out, it's funny watching that interaction.

When i am disturbing soil or moving objects the kookaburras will show up within moments to try get some critters, i will occasionally throw them some curl grubs tho i usually give them to the chooks, they go nuts over them :  )

• Like 3

I gets lots of birds out were i am...think i even got scub turkeys the furtherest inland. The red taild black cockatoos are my favorites but you get some species of birds out hear that are either a long way from the tropical rain forests of the coast or an unknown inland sub species 

A couple of months back i had visit from a cat bird (never seen one before an they normally live on tbe coast) anyways i was sitting there minding my own business and herd a couple of cat meows  (i dont have a cat an very much dislike the murderous hypoallergenic sods) so i thought i better have a look. Im looking hear and there and under things whilst hearing more meows close by (sounded like it was in a 10m radius of me) i couldnt see a cat anywhere i could hear it there was nowhere it coukd of been hiding...i was starting to think i lost my marbles, after another hour of searching and still hearing meows i was CONVINCED i had lost the plot and SERIOUSLY thinking about getting in touch with mental health to come get me when this fucking funny little green bird lands on the fence in front of me looks me dead in the eye and lets out a loud MEOW which didn't help the situation much

Edited by Spiky Mc Cactus Face
  • Like 3

Birds are wonderful..... It was Xmas morning , coincidentally , early , I'd just finished my morning Qigong routine on the back verandah , sitting having a cup of tea , when our local Magpie family fly's in , baby and two adults . One of the adults , looking straight at me comes walking up on to the verandah , on to my practice rug and drops a big black juicy beetle , still looking at me , it then backs away. I pick it up and pretend to eat it ( I didnt want to offend it ) then it heads off . We got them a bird bath , they love it.

• Like 7

I have come to realise that Red-tailed Black Cockatoos do not respond favourably to persistent verbal requests for one of their tail feathers... :(

• Haha 2

They will drop one for you one day!

• Like 1

On 05/03/2019 at 6:53 PM, Responsible Choice said:

I have come to realise that Red-tailed Black Cockatoos do not respond favourably to persistent verbal requests for one of their tail feathers... :(

I was told once that you are not allowed to keep their feathers, even if it was just laying on the ground, because they are a protected species etc. Apparently you can get a fine for possessing a single feather. This may not be accurate info but it wouldn't surprise me.

Some idiots would literally shoot one just for a few of those nice tail feathers.

Edited by Halcyon Daze
  • Like 2

agree,

picking up a magpie feather,

or any native bird,

is a crime.

Often when I go out the back the wattle birds squawk at me to leave their garden. They are quite territorial!