The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
communacacian

Happy Wattle Day!

What are the specific areas we would be targeting? What would be the optimal number of cameras to cover all of these areas? If we can't raise the funds to purchase the amount of cameras needed, using signs and moving the cameras periodically would be a good way of keeping poachers on their toes. I also think signs would be an important addition to cameras. Sure they are a bit optimistic, but it would be great to stop someone before they stripped a tree, rather than punish them after.

• Like 2

Ive used a few over the years for deer stalking and security. I'm pretty much only using little acorn trail cam now... There are Crap knock off versions to be avoided. 

Similar to this... https://www.ebay.com.au/p/12mp-Hunting-Scouting-Trail-Camera-LTL-Acorn-5210a-940nm-Wildlife-IR-Night-16gb/2163095772?iid=181905418360&_trkparms=gclientid%3D^sbf%3D%23000000^&_trksid=p2489528.m4324.l9588

I like getting an image on my phone of who's turned up at my gate when I'm not there.....and their license plate... 

Can also get solid lock boxes for places where theft may be an issue... Bit of thought in placement helps though. 

Thought I had one not deployed

IMG_20180905_082737-3984x2241.jpg

Edited by waterboy 2.0
  • Like 3

If we had to choose one place, what is most important area to protect from Acacia poachers? Let's consult with the local rangers in this area, make some signs and buy a camera. Hopefully someone else will chip in, but if not, I'd fund this project myself. Let's do it!

Edited by Wile E. Peyote
  • Like 2

Hey Wile and others,

I guess camera traps could potentially be useful in this instance, but it is all on public land and, to be kosher, would require the go-ahead of NPWS, Crown Lands and possibly Port Mac Hastings Council... Renegade camera work could be useful to help identify perpetrators (or at least monitor human visitation), but doubt that there is a particularly good single site (or sites) from which to strategically monitor.. The area where the desecration occurred had quite a well-trodden path to it - indicating to me that there had been a fair amount of coming and going over the preceding weeks and months.... Some of this foot traffic was likely to have been Communacacian...  The bark removal is such a disturbing act, particularly because I understand phyllodes are a goer...

I use Reconyx cameras extensively to great effect - mostly for biodiversity purposes but do pick up people periodically, some of whom should not be where they are.. Actually identifying an unknown individual is well-nigh impossible.. but, with good camera placement, at least you get an image of the person.

peace..

• Like 2

If you guys can help me identify the relevant contacts from NPWS, state and local councils, identify any similar proposals (conservation projects?) that have been made, and/or identify relevant bureaucratic forms, I'd be happy to draft our communicacaians and let you guys have an edit before sending them off. It would be great to try and do this on the straight and narrow.

• Like 1

Hey Wile

Good on you and others for showing such concern and motivation to protect these sacred groves from destructive pillaging. I can probably help out with exploring some of the legit pathways required.. respect!!

• Like 2

Damn, missed the seeds...great to have your germination method written out to Communacacian..many thanks :)

That ring-barking photo is deeply disturbing. I think setting up a camera near where this occurred is a good idea, but as I have no idea where on the mountain this is, it could be difficult terrain to cover as there are vast slopes of these trees up there. 

Perhaps a laminated sign on this tree as a message to others considering doing the same...some brief but stern educational information?

• Like 1

Seeds arrived today! Going to wait til night time temps are a little warmer. Got all my other seeds ready to go at the same time.

Thanks again :) 

Mine came today also.  Thanks heaps mate! Your generosity is greatly appreciated!!!

Seeds arrived! Thanks a heap!!! :lol: 

Is there any reason not to use the water that the seeds were soaked in with rhizobia for watering the seeds into the seed-raising mix? Or is it better/necessary to grind up some more nodules (I don't have soil, just nodules that I collected in Feb and stored in the fridge in 50% glycerine (one bottle) and silica gel (another bottle)). In case anyone's interested, I used this method of preservation after reading "Chapter 31: Root Nodule Bacteria and Symbiotic Nitrogen Fixation" . Evidently I did not read it closely enough, as I have just realised that it states that the 50% glycerol solution should be stored at -20 degrees C. Hopefully the ones desiccated on silica gel are still viable.

@Ngati Wikitoria, I don't want to offend you,  and I'm all for doing your research,  but it sounds like you're over-complicating it. 

I've had nodules turn up on seedlings sown in supermarket potting mix and then planted in pretty average garden soil, so I think the stuff is fairly common and widespread in the wild. I reckon if a handful of soil from under another acacia will do half the trick, no need to worry about glycerol and sub-zero temperatures. 

On 22/09/2018 at 8:52 PM, Xperiment said:

@Ngati Wikitoria, I don't want to offend you,  and I'm all for doing your research,  but it sounds like you're over-complicating it. 

I've had nodules turn up on seedlings sown in supermarket potting mix and then planted in pretty average garden soil, so I think the stuff is fairly common and widespread in the wild. I reckon if a handful of soil from under another acacia will do half the trick, no need to worry about glycerol and sub-zero temperatures. 

Haha, no offense taken. Yes I may well be over-complicating things; I guess you could just way that it's in my nature to do so.

I really just want to maximise the chances of survival of the few good seeds that I have managed to get, seeing as they are not available here (NZ).

• Like 1

Sounds fair enough,  I didn't realise you were in NZ. I wonder how much the soil biology varies between here and there... probably a bit! 

The temp dropped to 9-16 degrees, and so I put them onto a 25W brewing mat with a cycle of on for 30 mins and off for an hour (my timer has 30 minute increments) . I am using small seed raising containers (10x20x4cm).

They are sitting in takeaway containers with the lids on partially (i.e. not entirely sealed) in order to elevate temperature and humidity.

One set of cotyledons has emerged from the surface so far (Huzzah!!).

My question is, should I remove the lids from both containers and therefore have reduced humidity, or should I keep them partially or fully covered?

Acacian's original instructions said to keep them 23 degrees, and water them daily.

I'm concerned about having them in a high humidity environment - should I have them uncovered? if this is the case then I will need to increase the temperature in some way (perhaps having it on constantly with a thinner/thicker  layer between the heat mat and the containers).

Also, should I water them from above, or soak them from below? Is either way preferred?

Please help me get these sacred plants going across the Tasman my Australian siblings!

On 06/10/2018 at 8:25 AM, od101010 said:

Starting to pop

IMG_4529.JPG

Same here!

For some reason, i plant them expecting not to germ... Like i dont believe it will but i just hope it does... Only with acacia's though

• Like 1

After a visit to Doorigan on Sunday, I am deeply saddened to report to members here that some ignorant fool has been chopping down trees and stripping bark from this most magnificent species in this sacred place !!!

As we all know, this is needless destruction (for so many reasons) - and some of these trees were perhaps only cut down only a week ago (as they still had full flowers on the tips) 

This is serious damage and angers me to the core !!!

I am not sure how to proceed from here, but feel perhaps a post to the DMT NEXUS-Australia page and some other DMT facebook groups might at least educate some people or even better target the ones who did this (or might consider doing it in the future) as we do not want them returning--ever ! It seems they had enough 'information'  to be aware this location and species but NOT the fact that bark is not just unnecessary but actually less 'productive'

I can only hope the DMT/Courtii spirit taught them a brutally harsh lesson and they will not return ...ever !!!

IMG-0408.JPG

IMG-0413.JPG

IMG-0414.JPG

IMG-0416.JPG

IMG-0417.JPG

IMG-0419.JPG

IMG-0420.JPG

IMG-0408.thumb.JPG.385bf6577af59e5a84bad6e501e3e626.JPG

IMG-0413.thumb.JPG.0fa916d62f5db88b60864e1685f05164.JPG

IMG-0414.thumb.JPG.3a772083dcb2b878f49c9503a6d42a0d.JPG

IMG-0416.thumb.JPG.a7a6fd20822b698979cc7136376929f3.JPG

IMG-0417.thumb.JPG.cf56bf781de9284193d3f0a3b1f6ab7e.JPG