The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
communacacian

Happy Wattle Day!

Happy Wattle Day everyone,

Today is September 1st which is Australia's National Wattle Day, coincidentally with the beginning of spring it is also the best time to germinate seeds for most Acacia (wattle) species!

To celebrate I would like to give away 50 Acacia courtii seeds.

The first 10 members to reply to this post will receive 5 seeds of this very special species. Simply reply below and I will send you a message asking for your postal details.

(sorry to the international folks here, this is within Australia only)

*Condition

Due to the threatened status, rarity of this plant and the scarcity of the seeds, I ask that those who do receive these seeds and successfully raise multiple plants gift one to another member here on SAB.

Here are some propagation short notes which can be applied to most species.

Acacia courtii Germination tek (short notes)

By communacacian

Germination medium

Simple/Beginners medium: store bought seed raising mix

Advanced Medium: coco coir peat 50%, perlite 30%, granatic sand 10%, 3mm river stone 10%

Potting mix

Beginners: Store bought native potting mix

Advanced: Native potting mix 70%, Granatic Sand 10%, 3mm River stone 10%, Perlite 10% and additional native slow release fertiliser. You can mix in a small amount of inoculant soil too.

1.     Put seeds in mug and put a kettle on

2.     Once water is boiling pour over seeds in mug (fill up a few centimetres above seeds)

3.     Once water has cooled add a teaspoon of rhizobial inoculant soil to the water and gently mix.

(Most Acacia species do not require inoculation to aid germination but it helps with overall health and vigor once germinated. Inoculant soil can be collected from your local Acacia tree, just take a small handful of soil from the base of the tree, very little is required so no need to disturb the roots of the tree.)

4.     Allow to sit for a further 24-48 hours then strain the seeds.

5.     Fill up seedling tray with germination medium leaving a 1cm gap from the top. A small tray can do 10 – 20 seeds, a larger one can do up to 100.

6.     Place seeds on top of your mix leaving 1cm gap between seeds.

7.     Cover with another layer of germination medium filling up to the top of the tray and top with a thin layer of 3mm river stone.

8.     Sprinkle inoculation soil over the tray and water in.

9.     Set on heat mat with a thermostat or propagation table with temperature set to 23c. Alternatively set in warm place with good light. Water daily.

10. After two to four weeks seeds will begin to germinate. Once they are about 1-2cm tall. Gently pluck them out by using a dip stick (a thin pencil like object) and your hand to gently jiggle them out of the mix without breaking any roots.

11. Transfer into pots or tubes with your chosen potting mix. Best way to do this is put some soil in the bottom of the tube, hold the seedling with roots straight down with one hand and fill in soil around it with the other. You aim to get the soil to come to just where the roots meet the trunk and that level should be half a centimetre from the top of the tube

12. Water in with Seasol and keep in a place protected from harsh sun (such as a greenhouse with good airflow or a light shade cloth). Water daily and top dress with native slow release fertiliser every three months or as required.

Happy Gardening :)

IMG_6478.jpg

IMG_6480.jpg

SAB.jpg

IMG_6486.jpg

IMG_6466.jpg

IMG_6563.jpg

Edited by communacacian
  • Like 14

Happy wattle day! 

• Like 1

What a generous offer!

Got a spot already picked out in my sandalwood plantation!

Muchas gracias!

• Like 2

Would love to grow some :lol: Thank you!

• Like 1

And happy wattle day to you good sir!

I'd love to take you up on your offer.

Thanks heaps Communicacion....King of The Wattle!!!

• Like 1

Woohoo!!! Go the mighty Aussie Wattle!

i would be honoured to grow some of these beautiful Courtii!!!! I have been looking for some seeds for some time now!

• Like 1

Thanks Communacacian, Out of curiosity how old is the plant in the last photo?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Xperiment said:

That's disgraceful

My oath it is.. I daresay that there are multi and trans-dimensional consequences for such conduct..

For those looking at this, and possibly even those actually responsible for such desecration (which happened early this year), surely harvesting phyllodes or other spice-bearing material is the way to go.. And good on Communacacian and ors for cultivating this special and spectacular plant...

I reckon the spirit of the brothers has been agitated by such conduct.... deep time and space magic has been sullied...

• Like 5

Earlier this year when I visited I was devastated to see this destruction and documented it thoroughly, trying to work out what the next step is!

12 minutes ago, communacacian said:

17 minutes ago, communacacian said:

Earlier this year when I visited I was devastated to see this destruction and documented it thoroughly, trying to work out what the next step is!

How about something like this that can be monitored from afar.

https://www.proschoice.com.au/moultrie-m-888i-mini-trail-camera

We raise the funds to buy 4 of them or how many are needed to get a some good coverage of an area. Even the thought of them being there maybe a detterent. 

Edited by spooge
  • Like 3

what an excellent idea!! you legend.

Its very obvious that parks NSW has been recently monitoring the area and I wouldn't be surprised if they haven't already done this, but I think additional cameras is a brilliant idea!

Im very keen to make that happen

• Like 3

23 hours ago, tarenna said:

Meanwhile in the wild.... 

:ana::ana:

:slap::slap:

20180319_145410.jpg

That image fills me with rage

I'm in! Would this camera set up be the best option? Even signs saying there were cameras could have a strong impact.

Edited by Wile E. Peyote
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Wile E. Peyote said:

I'm in! Would this camera set up be the best option? Even signs saying there were cameras could have a strong impact.

In my opinion (and experience) signs don't stop anyone. We have game cameras located on a few properties (w/ signs along the perimeter) I'm allowed to shoot on and still see trespassers in photos all the time. What's to say it would work for someone stripping bark? It'll happen regardless.

We use these - https://www.toolmart.com.au/moondyne-mdtcam002.html

Great cameras with MMS/EMAIL capability for sending photos in real time

Govt depts like DPaW use these. Great units but a little on the pricey side. Excellent battery life and image quality - http://outdoorcameras.com.au/6/reconyx-hc600.html

Edit: have even had a few camera pinched over the years. Long list of others over east who have lost cameras on public land (hunters)

Edited by Gimli
  • Like 1