The Corroboree

Hey all! This thought came up after a comment in another thread but i didnt want to go too off topic.

Is it legal to grow plant and grow food grade hemp seed in Aus? I've always loved the look of the plant and would love to have a legal substitute around 

-Cheers all! 

• Like 1

I think you'd need a licence to grow it legally which is a shame if you own chooks LOL. They love hemp seed apparently.

Obviously there's no THC in hemp, but I do wonder if there is any CBD, ie the highly medicinal anti-inflammatory/anti-psychotic component of cannabis.

It would be hit and miss, unless you could somehow test for CBD. I don't know if you can go by 'feel' like you can with THC, as CBD doesn't get you stoned. I have no idea how testing for THC and CBD is done in the recreational weed industry. I'm also fairly sure roadside drug tests don't test for CBD, only THC.

I'd expect hemp seed to be autoflowering due to C. ruderalis genetics, and the fact they are bred for commercial use. So you could probably sneak in a quick grow here and there (where legal).

I bet if you got caught growing hemp seeds the cops/courts wouldn't give a shit about you claiming them to be mere hemp rather than marijuana. You'd probably get a stern warning on your first offence and feel pretty foolish LOL. But once you're done for drugs charges they can search your car out any time they pull you over etc. It would be pretty suckful to have it hanging over you.

Risky business just for some chook feed. 

Edited by Halcyon Daze
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Halcyon Daze said:

I think you'd need a licence to grow it legally which is a shame if you own chooks LOL. They love hemp seed apparently.

Obviously there's no THC in hemp, but I do wonder if there is any CBD, ie the highly medicinal anti-inflammatory/anti-psychotic component of cannabis.

It would be hit and miss, unless you could somehow test for CBD. I don't know if you can go by 'feel' like you can with THC, as CBD doesn't get you stoned. I have no idea how testing for THC and CBD is done in the recreational weed industry. I'm also fairly sure roadside drug tests don't test for CBD, only THC.

I'd expect hemp seed to be autoflowering due to C. ruderalis genetics, and the fact they are bred for commercial use. So you could probably sneak in a quick grow here and there (where legal).

I bet if you got caught growing hemp seeds the cops/courts wouldn't give a shit about you claiming them to be mere hemp rather than marijuana. You'd probably get a stern warning on your first offence and feel pretty foolish LOL. But once you're done for drugs charges they can search your car out any time they pull you over etc. It would be pretty suckful to have it hanging over you.

Risky business just for some chook feed. 

Such a shame :/

Not worth the risk for an aesthetic plant thats for sure.

It's too freaking weird that the plant that doesn't get you high is illegal, thats just crazy to think about

3 hours ago, Halcyon Daze said:

It's a shame if you keep any birds. I seem to recall a story about a pensioner getting arrested for growing cannabis - he just wanted the hemp seeds for his budgies (made them sing better apparently).

I can't find the news article at the moment but I know that hemp seeds can be found in some bird seed mixes; you can be charged if you germinate those seeds.

1 hour ago, TheMooseZeus said:

It's too freaking weird that the plant that doesn't get you high is illegal, thats just crazy to think about

11 minutes ago, Slocombe said:

you can be charged if you germinate those seeds.

What a truly fucked up world we live in.

• Like 2

It's all I feed my chooks. Better feathers, eggs and overall health :wink: And they fucking LOVE it!

https://www.doonanfeedco.com.au/

Recently they undid the law which made the use of hemp as a food product illegal, apparently. 

saw it on TV so it must be true!

Mate, hemp foods were made legal earlier this year, with zero fan fair, despite the HOOJ deal the AU and NZ govs had been making about it over the last decade or so. A bullshit end to some real bullshit. Australia is finally on par with the rest of world in that regard, only took us over a decade to sort of catch up. STRAYA!

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Responsible Choice said:

Mate, hemp foods were made legal earlier this year, with zero fan fair, despite the HOOJ deal the AU and NZ govs had been making about it over the last decade or so. A bullshit end to some real bullshit. Australia is finally on par with the rest of world in that regard, only took us over a decade to sort of catch up. STRAYA!

This is true! I there wasn't much hype around it but i heard something. Its pretty sweet.

The FDA wants more weed in the US and fewer opiates... 

Things are looking up

20 hours ago, Responsible Choice said:

I know right, they probably played it down because its such a fucking retarded law. Its like locking up all teachers because a few of them are pedos. Just doesn't make sense. Plant racism. 

I am surprised I only heard about it through advertisements for hemp food products on TV, which literally said something along the lines of "Australian law has changed and now hemp can be consumed"

• Like 1

Before that law changed, you could buy packets of food grade shelled hempseed from the health store. But on the bottom of the packet it said, for external use only, legal for human consumption in every country except Australia.

It was such a joke, to think we were the last ones on the planet to be legally allowed to consume it.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Halcyon Daze said:

It was such a joke, to think we were the last ones on the planet to be legally allowed to consume it.

That shit is not funny.

• Like 1

Anyone know how cbd or thc levels can be measured in a plant sample. Is such a thing possible in Australia?

This is totally hypothetical but it would be cool if you could simply grow a plant with cbd, without worrying about failing a roadside drug test etc.

And a bottle of cbd oil is bloody expensive. 

Does CBD trigger a test positive result?

Seems like a glaring gap if it does.

Due to their similar chemical structures and almost identical molar masses, separating thc from cbd is difficult, but not an impossible task.  

However i recall reading something written by Shulgin where he was very sceptical about analytical techniques used to quantify the different concentrations between these 2 chemicals due to the above mentioned issue. 

i also want to add, its very likely cbd will causes a false positive for thc due to the similar structures. 

Sorry i cant answer your question, it would be great if it were possible, but im pretty sure it wouldn't be legal for a company to offer that service at this point in time.

And your right, cbd is so crazy expensive, hemp farmers will all be millionaires if they arent already. 

• Like 1

I have heard an experience from using a sisters of the valley CBD product and being (randomly) drug tested the same day and it returning false for THC. So it is possible. Unless of course the product claimed to contain cbd but did not, although I think sisters of the valley might be reputable. Not sure. 

Edited by Caster
  • Like 1

That's really interesting, Caster, from what I've read Drug tests only test for thc, not cbd. The main problem is that there is usually a small percentage of thc as a contaminant in cbd oil. It can sometimes be enough to fail a drug test, especially if you're consuming high doses of cbd oil.

So it's still a bit risky, especially when you have no idea at all how much thc you could be unknowingly taking.

Yes I absolutely agree it is a huge risk, one which I would not take if I knew there was a drug test coming!

Maybe I was just lucky, I took a large dose of cbd before this drug test, I assume that sisters products are of good quality and contain very little to no THC, they have to be to allow their importation into Australia/ elsewhere in the world. 

If anyone is looking to buy some cbd oil etc I would recommend them. You can import them legally. 

19 hours ago, Caster said:

I have first hand experience from using a sisters of the valley CBD product and being (randomly) drug tested the same day (sweated my armpits and forehead that day lol) and it returning false for THC. So it is possible. Unless of course the product claimed to contain cbd but did not, although I think sisters of the valley might be reputable. Not sure. 

I've spent a bit of time looking into the roadside tests.

My understanding is they do a screening saliva test that is extremely unreliable (lots of false negatives and false positives). If that test is positive for THC, they do a second test that is much more reliable. You get charged based on a positive second test.

If you passed the initial swab test after taking CBD only you may have just got lucky.

NSW in particular is expanding the number of tests so it makes sense to keep up to date on the legislation and testing changes.

Edited by Slocombe
I'm not a lawyer and I don't want to mislead anyone with my speculation
  • Like 1

On 20/08/2018 at 5:01 PM, Change said:

Due to their similar chemical structures and almost identical molar masses, separating thc from cbd is difficult, but not an impossible task.  

However i recall reading something written by Shulgin where he was very sceptical about analytical techniques used to quantify the different concentrations between these 2 chemicals due to the above mentioned issue. 

Interestingly the cops can't prove that the test can tell the difference between CBD and THC... https://www.canberratimes.com.au/national/act/man-escapes-conviction-for-driving-under-influence-of-drugs-after-eating-hemp-seeds-20150302-13spp4.html

20 hours ago, Slocombe said:

Ah jeez, you'd hope we'd be over this