The Corroboree

Hey all! 

Collected a pine cone the other day and was wondering how to extract the seeds?

Be it boiling, leaving in the oven or just time?

I'm dreaming of my own pine forest :P 

• Like 1

Paper bag in the sun...  As it dries and opens out the seeds will fall out. 

Even the crusty older cones on the ground normally have a few seeds still stuck in them that can be prised out with a knife

• Like 3

I manged to peel back the cone and take a few tiny seeds out, do you recon theyll be viable?

6 minutes ago, Xperiment said:

Paper bag in the sun...  As it dries and opens out the seeds will fall out. 

Even the crusty older cones on the ground normally have a few seeds still stuck in them that can be prised out with a knife

I'll do this with the rest for sure, cheers!

I've had mixed results. Germination can be slow,  and definitely less success from older cones. Plant a heap,  if you end up with too many, they make good bonsai, if you're into that :wink:

Air dry, in sun. Bags are great for a few cones. Bulk can be done under corrugated iron on a tray. 

Beware cockatoos.... They'll bust open the cones if they've developed the taste. 

Check up on the species, many need stratification and some benefit from scarification. With patience you can raise a forest no probs. 

An extra 48hr soak in water prior to sowing, at around 10 degrees speeds up and gives a more consistent germination of radiata pine,if that's your species. 

• Like 1

Hoop pine seeds are very easy to collect from underneath a tree (hundreds of them) and the seeds sprout readily. They are also a beautiful native species of great ecological significance. :)

• Like 1

On 08/07/2018 at 9:04 PM, TheMooseZeus said:

I'm dreaming of my own pine forest :P 

I’m with you dude. 

Got a list written down of all the endemic and endangered pines in Tasmania, and a select few from the rest of the country.

love the idea of a conifer forest, laid out according to permaculture principles.

Innoculated nitrogen fixers, berries, mycorrhizal and sapotrophic mushroom spores scattered throughout. 

On 9/3/2018 at 7:59 AM, Sarcophilus said:

I’m with you dude. 

Got a list written down of all the endemic and endangered pines in Tasmania, and a select few from the rest of the country.

love the idea of a conifer forest, laid out according to permaculture principles.

Innoculated nitrogen fixers, berries, mycorrhizal and sapotrophic mushroom spores scattered throughout. 

Oh yeah! Thats the dream