The Corroboree
LovelyShaun

Tasmanian looking to start a garden

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the Corroboree. Fairly regular lurker though.

I'm based in southern Tassie, and I've been wanting to start an ethnobotanical collection for a while, but due to Tassie's bio-security rules I can't really get cuttings or seeds shipped in easily.

I'm interested in getting some nice cacti growing. Are there are Tassie locals out there who would be interested in either selling me or trading me some ethnobotanical cacti? I can trade some prickly pear pads (I'm pretty sure it's opuntia ficus-indica), which I've heard is pretty good for grafting, though I've never tried it myself. I also have a few Acacia Floribunda seeds. I don't have much else to trade, but I might be able to find something else if need be.

I'd also be really interested in getting some pereskiopsis cuttings, or selenecereus grandiflorus (Queen of the night) seeds or cuttings.

I'm also a bit of a fan of microscopy, if anyone has any unique spore prints they could swap/show me.

Or if anyone has any experience ordering cacti seeds online from interstate to Tassie, I'd really appreciate some advice.

Cheers!

• Like 3

Seeds really shouldn’t be an issue Shaun, I find I have no trouble with seeds whatsoever, I’ve never not had any type of seed not get through. Be it domestic or international. If you order international you can get around the will not ship to TAS/WA legislation quarantine laws. As long as you’re vigilant with what you’re growing. There’s no cause for concern. Cuttings/live plants aren’t worth trying to get imported. Those you won’t get in.

31 minutes ago, Sarcophilus said:

Seeds really shouldn’t be an issue Shaun, I find I have no trouble with seeds whatsoever, I’ve never not had any type of seed not get through. Be it domestic or international. If you order international you can get around the will not ship to TAS/WA legislation quarantine laws. As long as you’re vigilant with what you’re growing. There’s no cause for concern. Cuttings/live plants aren’t worth trying to get imported. Those you won’t get in.

Ah that's good to hear. I suppose I'll go ahead and just order in some of the cacti seeds I want then.

It would still be great to get my hands on some pereskiopsis cuttings though, to really help some of those seeds get started. I can't imagine too many people in Tas would have any though. At least I haven't come across it.

Do you happen to know anything about getting spore prints into Tassie?

Hey Lovely S,

Im new too and also in Sthn Tas. Although im just starting up my garden Im happy to spread the love and share a few cacti seedlings/ seeds if you want.

Feel free to pm me.

Peace H

You'll be OK with cacti seeds, to be on the level they need to be clean and labelled,and not in Kg bulk (other requirements). 

Make sure any seeds are not prohibited(there's a few bits of legislation applicable) . All opuntia sp, except for O. Ficus-indica are now recently declared weeds as example :blink:datura is also declared. 

Lophs and Trichs are legal for now... 

Peres is about, I've recently moved a heap of cacti to some in the South but there may be some more Lophs being released. 

Free free to PM me also, but it may take me a bit to get back to it though

• Like 1

Hi @LovelyShaun, I don't have much ready just yet, but come spring time I'll have a shit load of tricho seedlings ready to move on. Around 100 or so different hybrids. Just need to harden them off in the sun once it starts to warm up again. 

I do have another mate down here near Hobart I could introduce you to also. He could possibly help out with some bigger cuts. 

And @waterboy 2.0 also rocks, he helped me out recently with some really nice cactus. 

You'll start to discover more people down here too with hidden gems and pretty soon you'll be swimming in cactus :)

I do have some seeds from my very first hybrid this year too if you want some, happy to give them to you :) Could also give you some hylocereus seeds for grafting stock and I have a pere to get you started with propogating them too. Send me a pm when you get a chance 

Edited by Gambeard

Hey guys, I'm on the hunt for some pereskiopsis and a few cacti. I've got a little collection so far. Would be great to get in contact with some fellow tasmanians :)

Off topic, but it looks like we have a few southern Tas members now. Should we start thinking about having a little get together/plant swap? I've been a little jealous of these mainlanders having all of that fun. I guess we could include the northerners too :P

Edited by Psiphi
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Psiphi said:

Off topic, but it looks like we have a few southern Tas members now. Should we start thinking about having a little get together/plant swap? I've been a little jealous of these mainlanders having all of that fun. I guess we could include the northerners too :P

You could probably kill 2 birds with one stone and have a get together on xmas day.... Your all family right? :lol:

Just for giggles my Taswegian friends :wink:

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Average Joe said:

You could probably kill 2 birds with one stone and have a get together on xmas day.... Your all family right? :lol:

Just for giggles my Taswegian friends :wink:

All brothercousins and sisteraunties welcome

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Nice Thread.

I will be back in Tas in December.  I have a few cacti to sell. and maybe some seeds to give away.

good to see the southern tas community growing again.

cheers, Ob.

• Like 2