The Corroboree
Xperiment

Another ID question

Question

Hi,  

Picked up this little guy yesterday,  unhelpfully labelled "Cactus". It's about 10cm tall. 

Can anyone reveal it's true identity from the picture? 

And it would also help me greatly if you could say what distinguishing features led to your diagnosis. 

Thanks in advance! 

IMG20180526084605.jpg

IMG20180526084605.thumb.jpg.269bec6b974f2810863764f7acc97dc1.jpg

IMG20180526084605.thumb.jpg.269bec6b974f2810863764f7acc97dc1.jpg

5 answers to this question

It's hard to tell when they're this small. If I had to guess, I'd say it could be T. Cuzcoensis, but nowhere near confident about that.

Do lots of nurseries use vague labels when they know things can be used medicinally?  

Thanks for your answers.

4 minutes ago, TheMooseZeus said:

Do lots of nurseries use vague labels when they know things can be used medicinally?  

I have noticed on a lot of "plants of interest" such as Coleus, all cacti, and some others show in very small writing on the tag the words "Not to be consumed". Funny that,  because I'm the sort of person that on reading those words,  would think "well I never thought of that, but since you brought it up... " and before you know it you're on a forum like this with a greenhouse full of unusual plants B)

I was suspicious of this cactus because all the other cacti there were well labelled with common and botanical names and growing requirements. 

What prompted me to buy this one was it was conspicuously devoid of useful information :lol: A sure sign there's something to hide... 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Xperiment said:

Thanks for your answers.

I have noticed on a lot of "plants of interest" such as Coleus, all cacti, and some others show in very small writing on the tag the words "Not to be consumed". Funny that,  because I'm the sort of person that on reading those words,  would think "well I never thought of that, but since you brought it up... " and before you know it you're on a forum like this with a greenhouse full of unusual plants B)

I was suspicious of this cactus because all the other cacti there were well labelled with common and botanical names and growing requirements. 

What prompted me to buy this one was it was conspicuously devoid of useful information :lol: A sure sign there's something to hide... 

All Bunning's cacti are labeled "Not for consumption"  It's odd. still yet to find anything of interest :) 

Was the nursery you found yours at local or a chain?

Nah it's a Bunnings baby. First decent cactus I've got there.