The Corroboree

Hey,

i've been keeping frogs for a few months not but they aren't quite old enough for shop bought crickets or worms. I've resorted to using woodlice/slaters that infest the back of my garden. Only problem is, they run straight into the water and drown or they hide, die and pollute the inclosure.

(Interestingly enough, the woodlice that sink to the bottom survive as they run underwater and up the side of the bowl. If anyone knows how to make water less buoyant that would be great.)

So if anyone keeps frogs or any animal that eats very small moving insects please help! The woodlice will do for now (The frogs aren't going unfed)

• Like 1

you could procure a dead rat or some other dead animal, allow it to get fly blown & maggot ridden & use the maggots

What species of frog are they and how small are they?  If they are tiny, aphids are good, also fruit fly from the compost bin. Make a swoop net with fine mesh and sweep it through grass to pick up meadow plankton.  Shops that supply crickets can usually order smaller crickets , you could ask them. 

Colder weather can make slim pickings for wild caught food. Maggots are usually not digested and are better left to pupate.  Pupae from a meat diet are usually blow flies and too big for small froglets, better off with house flies that usually diet on cereals and cowpats etc.  I have recipies for breeding house flies, but if you only have a few frogs it won't be worth the trouble. 

You could put a heap plastic aquarium plants in the water to reduce insects drowning while you have to feed small insects.  

:) 

7 hours ago, paradox said:

you could procure a dead rat or some other dead animal, allow it to get fly blown & maggot ridden & use the maggots

This might not be a bad idea, i tried rotting fruit but fruit flies managed to out smart me on that or drowned in the liquid.

1 hour ago, Amazonian said:

What species of frog are they and how small are they?  If they are tiny, aphids are good, also fruit fly from the compost bin. Make a swoop net with fine mesh and sweep it through grass to pick up meadow plankton.  Shops that supply crickets can usually order smaller crickets , you could ask them. 

They're striped marsh frogs, the smallest is about 2.5 cm long. I've seen the smaller breeds of crickets and worms and i still feel they're too small but i can go into the petshop and ask. I think my best bet will be to rearrange the tank so the woodlice have to hide before they can drown

I used to use small moths from the garden for my baby geckos and also springtails.

Easiest thing though is to buy baby wood roaches or even easier to breed your own.  

• Like 1

i'd also say not to underestimate the size of insect that even a small frog can eat

1 hour ago, paradox said:

i'd also say not to underestimate the size of insect that even a small frog can eat

Mmmhmm, i've seen one of the guys deep throat a pretty significantly sized caterpillar. It was painful to watch.