The Corroboree
ayjay101

Advice for numbing tattoo pain

Hey all,

Just wanting some advice on the behalf of the missus please.

She's getting a new tattoo around her lower calf and is struggling with intense pain and leg spasms.

Any recommendations please on some local anasthetic or something to consume to reduce the pain, sensitivity or leg spasms?

She's tried the local lidocaine creams and some panadeine forte but it hasn't helped. Shes had to cut her sessions short so far and may need to spread the rest out into smaller, more manageable times.. but the tattoo artist is an interstate trip away so it's not ideal.. she's been able to get tattoos in other areas without this problem..

Thanks in advance

Might sound odd, if all else fails try chewing gum:wink:

I hear many numbing creams shouldn't be used?

I'd be really careful any maybe call the tattoo artist who did it for recommendations. I hear many artists say you shouldn't numb the pain and its just part of it 

Although this is an old post, Datura Wrightii is used as a topical preparation to relieve moderate to severe pain. A sun tea made from 7x leaves and 7x flowers is used. The patient soaks the feet or hands in the preparation until pain relief occurs, usually about 20 min. This traditional preparation is used by patients suffering from abrasions and bruises, arthritis pain, muscle pain from over exertion, moderate back and neck pain, bursitis, gastrointestinal pain, joint pain, foot pain and other types of pain. It would most likely work on tattoo pain as well. This topical preparation is relatively safe, effective and has used for many years. This plant delivers small amounts of active ingredient to the skin, disrupts the pain cycle and avoids systemic toxicity.

The plant contains the water soluble alkaloids, Hyoscyamine and Scopolamine. Scopolamine crosses the skin very effectively and inhibits pain. Hyoscyamine and Atropine do not efficiently cross the skin. It is not known if Scopolamine inhibits these pain interactions. Scopolamine potentiates the analgesic effects of Enkephalin and Morphine which may have long term effects in pain treatment. Scopolamine is also a very effective antidepressant. It is known that antidepressants are useful in chronic pain treatment.

• Like 1

On 09/11/2018 at 8:54 PM, Infinity said:

Although this is an old post, Datura Wrightii is used as a topical preparation to relieve moderate to severe pain. A sun tea made from 7x leaves and 7x flowers is used. The patient soaks the feet or hands in the preparation until pain relief occurs, usually about 20 min. This traditional preparation is used by patients suffering from abrasions and bruises, arthritis pain, muscle pain from over exertion, moderate back and neck pain, bursitis, gastrointestinal pain, joint pain, foot pain and other types of pain. It would most likely work on tattoo pain as well. This topical preparation is relatively safe, effective and has used for many years. This plant delivers small amounts of active ingredient to the skin, disrupts the pain cycle and avoids systemic toxicity.

The plant contains the water soluble alkaloids, Hyoscyamine and Scopolamine. Scopolamine crosses the skin very effectively and inhibits pain. Hyoscyamine and Atropine do not efficiently cross the skin. It is not known if Scopolamine inhibits these pain interactions. Scopolamine potentiates the analgesic effects of Enkephalin and Morphine which may have long term effects in pain treatment. Scopolamine is also a very effective antidepressant. It is known that antidepressants are useful in chronic pain treatment.

Heya

They use that in travel sickness pills.. It makes me feel really weird (in a not-good way). I need a painkiller for my hands though. It seems to be Raynaud’s Syndrome (runs in the family) but it’s come on fast & it can get really really bad. I saw a doctor a few days ago & of course I have to get a blood test then see her in a fortnight. I asked for advice/relief in the meantime and was told “quit smoking”. Pharmacists have given me equally helpful suggestions like “Panadol”.

Do you think that’d help? How could I get some of the topical stuff? Help!!

(Sorry OP for hijacking.. My brother grew poppies which came in handy when he got a 6 hour tattoo).

Sorry to hear about your condition Zefside95.

You would be a good candidate for such a treatment but I would err on the side of caution if those alkaloids made you feel weird or unwell in the past.

Unfortunately I don't have any flowers or leaves at the moment but I do have some seeds I could send you so you could grow your own. Let me know if you'd like some.

On a side note, heavily increasing your intake of fresh bananas, avocados, ginger and ginko biloba would also be greatly beneficial for such a condition but I guess you probably already knew that. And yes ciggies don't help with their vein narrowing side-effects.

If you are in serious pain right you could head to a chemist and ask for Xylocaine 10% Spray 50ml or Xylocaine 5% Cream 30g. There are others as well. No prescription required. No point in suffering if temporary pain relief is easily available over the counter. Hope that helps.

• Like 1

On 03/02/2019 at 4:54 PM, Infinity said:

Sorry to hear about your condition Zefside95.

You would be a good candidate for such a treatment but I would err on the side of caution if those alkaloids made you feel weird or unwell in the past.

Unfortunately I don't have any flowers or leaves at the moment but I do have some seeds I could send you so you could grow your own. Let me know if you'd like some.

On a side note, heavily increasing your intake of fresh bananas, avocados, ginger and ginko biloba would also be greatly beneficial for such a condition but I guess you probably already knew that. And yes ciggies don't help with their vein narrowing side-effects.

If you are in serious pain right you could head to a chemist and ask for Xylocaine 10% Spray 50ml or Xylocaine 5% Cream 30g. There are others as well. No prescription required. No point in suffering if temporary pain relief is easily available over the counter. Hope that helps.

Thank you :) I was talking to this guy last night who is also having trouble with doctors. He made a good point — that a lot of doctors are too scared to do anything that goes “outside the square” because there are more and more legal issues they face if something goes wrong. But it isn’t just us, he said, people are suffering and need help. I’m really not sure what the answer is, but yeah I’m guessing this thing with my hands is pretty moderate compared with some of the problems people must be having.

Go have a look in the mirror. That's the best doctor you will ever find.

Possibly Kava.  I’m really not sure though.  It was incredibly useful for me when recovering from huge muscle pain in the abdominals following wakeboarding.  Nothing else seemed to work including extra strength panadeine - the lava though!  Boom! It got rid of it straight away!  It was pretty amazing.  

I dont know how that would really really translate to tattoo pain.  Maybe tattooing isn’t really for your partner?  For me the pain and the trance one enters during and after getting tattooed is one of the biggest reasons for getting one?