The Corroboree

Hey! So there's a thread for Ebay finds i thought we should have one for Bunnings finds :)

Image result for bunnings warehouse

I've had a single burnings find... one.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Slocombe said:

I've had a single burnings find... one.

Yes?

Yep. A pachenoi (or Pachenot?/PC). Pretty sure i put it in the ebay finds thread at the time.

I will say that the person working behind the counter was a motherly type in her 50s who winked at me and told me it was an awesome cactus.... i either passed up an easy root or (more likely) people really like cacti.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Slocombe said:

Yep. A pachenoi (or Pachenot?/PC). Pretty sure i put it in the ebay finds thread at the time.

I will say that the person working behind the counter was a motherly type in her 50s who winked at me and told me it was an awesome cactus.... i either passed up an easy root or (more likely) people really like cacti.

Haha thats sweet. I should look out for more cacti in bunnings, they dont label their products too well...

• Like 1

Bunnings is good for snags.

That's about it

• Like 3

IMG_4085.thumb.jpg.3b4ec9bd442d6b4b853bbc905c2c0256.jpg

• Like 2

I used to find Hamiltons Trichs at various North Coast Bunnings, but it has been over 3 years since I have seen any...

• Like 1

they do sell good plants, but the distributers pamper and grow them too fast/much, so you get plants which carck it once you plant them out. there plants like a lot of professional nursery plants lack hardiness.

they don't pay well there stuff, and many of there workers, fall for me in the eeh? category.

eeh? means like at maccas, when I order "one cheeseburger please" the stuff goes, " eeh?"

one cheeseburger please, reply goes eeh? my record is 4 times getting an eeh?

and as some of you know, my accent isn't that strong, and I know more words in English, than those low class workers.

this happens only at Bunnings, mc donalds and other big brand outlets, not happy jane...

• Like 1

Scored a sweet Peruvian that was a nice find at decent price, and then was no end to the scop mongels cheap as there for a while at my local.

Like tarenna been a while since I seen anything of note, they were killing more than selling them though:lol:

• Like 1

Haven't seen any trichos for ages now. I did grab a nice bridge, peru and big cordobenseis back in the day. Still have them all.

Bunnings do seem to stock less Trichs than they have in the past. My best find there has been a TPSM. 

Hamilton's have stopped supplying Bunnings. If you're in the Western Sydney area I'd reccomend checking Hamilton's out. I got a rooted ~25cm peru crest there for $25! 

I was in Bunnings Coburg today, PC pachanoi clones $52 each, around 20cm tall. Sheesh!

If you're a Coburg local, Vasilli's Garden (a block or two from Bunnings) has much better-value offerings -- or did have, last time I was there. Plenty of mature San Pedro types hanging around the walls (pach and maybe scop). And a bunch of beautiful fat TBMs that were going for a song, nicely potted up in terracotta with a quartz top-dressing. I definitely shoulda grabbed more than just one!

Bunnings Coburg: those PC pachanoi were tucked away indoors, underneath a table, for the past few months. Severe etiolation probably now a selling point. Still >$50 each. And a bunch of interesting-looking Mesembryanthemum spp. in the "Pigface" section, dwarf pink, pale pink, and white flowering. 

IMG_2113.jpg

IMG_2112.jpg

I rescued a scop from there a while ago.  Was in one of those tiny little pots..  can’t remember what they charge for them, maybe like $10.  Saw one when I was there about a week ago.. usually found near the orchids and other small succulents/cacti indoors, (the shelf below the pachs in fyzygy’s photo)

Edited by kindness
  • Like 1

I buy most of my gardening supplies from Bunnings. I very rarely buy plants there, but occasionally I may find something.

I have seen what looks like pachanoi there. But they label most of their cacti as 'designer cactus' or simply 'cactus' so I can't know for certain what they are.