The Corroboree

I feel the great importance of dissociating from your culture during these early stages of my journey. My culture remains a mould and a restraint from what I want to get out of life.

The few experiences I have fulfilling this disassociation have been profoundly freeing yet fleeting and unsustainable. 

For many (not all) young people this inherited trait shapes the individual for worse not better.

Are there any practises anyone has undergone to help free themselves from this? 

• Like 2

I had a recent experience of going from being disconnected and dissociated from society and community to feeling the love of reconnection

Slowly each day my goal is to, through embodied action, break a barrier between you and me

There's no glory in seeing differences that don't encourage healing growth - Are you including others with mutual respect and reciprocity, or building barriers in the community? Just a sprinkle of your love to yourself and others starts to liberate healing entropy.

We each have different journeys but it's through environments of inclusivity that people can heal and be free. I don't believe we should segregate people just because they are unique individuals and live a life differently. In the right encouraging frameworks pathology gives way to divinity

I see so much suffering and lack of inclusion, in doing such We create community centred on pathology. I see pathology in our social structures, power divisions and egocentricity - The western world is so much you vs me. It's not until you see divinity in all creation that you feel breaking those barriers that stop you from feeling worthy of a we, you embrace a stance of greater equality.

It's not until one decides they're worth it that they undertake the journey to break free, that they can be a whole person in the community.

Being locked into illness is to be stuck prisoner of me, you feel unworthy of a we
It's like being stuck in an abysmal unconscious sea
Social defeat breaks you down daily
Slowly, you start to see
Beyond the shackles that hold you to misery
Expanding beyond pathology empathetically
You adopt acceptance towards your journey and others radically
You embody action creatively
Connecting with others in loving relationships and uplifting is by definition Pure Divinity
While breaking apart and creating divisions maintains you selfishly

With each step towards embodying that Divine essence you regain freedom. We bypass the more concrete, cognitive-oriented parts of the brain to access the symbolic, creative subconscious, uncovering deeper, intuitive feeling etc that is sometimes complicated but restores wholes. You can bring unconscious process driving you pathologically into creative conscious impulses that can set you free.

Cognitive frameworks build divisions while feeling Heart brings unity
You get to a place where you hold space for yourself and others compassionately
You empower your presence, you have a divine loving aspect that you deserve to be
Conscious loving choice with a growth mindset can set you free
Diverging and connecting to loving conscious choices elevate you back cortically
The pathological self-feelings, loops of lower mind, start to flee
You embody a broader concept of Me
You let divine manifest in the strangest ways, judgement of self or others isn't healing liberation, you could feel worthy to just be
You learn to love your Self and the reconnect to we
Mindfully breaking pathology by creating loving connecting spaces between you and me
Us connecting and contributing to a better community
That is what I define living life purposely

• Like 5

Incredible words as always... It's unbelievable.

I have recently been getting involved in a local community. A community which emphasise and empowers light, love, creativity and letting go. 

These incredible people helped to shed light on the intense repression of city life, especially when coming from the UK. 

I wish to make the transition from culture without community to a community with little culture (in regards to history). 

I feel the need to shed cultural ideals and use those lessons as a basis for my own growth in a community where I can grow as the person i truely am not the person i "should be".

I try so hard to dissolve boundaries between people in my current cultural setting but feel nothing, if not the opposite in return.

Being young and having most aspects of life out of my control all i have left is my body and my mind to work with. Currently, changing my environment is not an option.

• Like 1

Thanks for sharing, if you can find new ways of community that let you be you and grow -. Don't fall into the trap of totally disconnecting from the world. For me, the community garden has been vital. Inclusive away from the cultural destructive ways. The more you disconnect the more you can suffer IMO. Not saying rush into the madness of the world but find your tribe and maintain connections, build connections within and in the world.

I'd suggest things like in states where cognition is malleable, exploring creative divergent thinking, while tapping into feelings, to broaden your concept of you to new levels of inclusion and acceptance. With creative divergent thinking seems to come deeper empathy and emotional health that's not dissociating which can become pathology

Do you have any inclusive healthy community opportunities like that in your life @TheMooseZeus?

Edited by Alchemica
  • Like 1

I do, but I don't think the tribe meeting once a month for a drumming circle will quite cut it for me, there's still the rest of the month remaining toxic and unhealthy to me.

My own inclusive community taught me more in a few hours than my cultural background has in decades. 

My only other portal to this way of being are plants which give me the teachings yet no community to express these teachings onto.

I'm still terrified of the idea that i will fall into the trap that surrounds me just to fit in and stay sane. Or worse, express these expectations onto others.

Edited by TheMooseZeus
  • Like 1

Know that feeling of limited community, I'd suggest looking into starting up plant meets if you can find those connections locally, it's like coming home having those meets for me and you can establish better healthy community connection. Sometimes I think efforts to dissociate/move away from the culture can bolster ego pathology whereas merging into it as the unique you with a gift to share tames it. Learn to relate to the plants as proxy to the larger community maybe, for me that's currently propagating things and giving plants to grow free boxes etc, find that contribution to what you're dissociating from  so you can feel like you're "being the change you want to see"

• Like 1

Thank-you so much brother, I will certainly try. If i can find local connections i would love to meet likeminded people. After discovering this forum i was given so much hope that doing so wouldn't be that hard.

"The internet introduces everybody no matter how weird, no matter how marginalised, no matter how peculiar to the fact that there are others like you. There are others like you. Find the others. Make common cause. realise that its the deal you cut and the friends you make that determine where you're going to be standing when the flash hits" - Terence Mckenna

• Like 2

Great thread, great wisdom. I was pretty wild in my younger days. I spent many years of my life resisting culture and community because i didn't want to be molded, didn't want to be a sheep. It took me years to realize that i could be who i am or who i want to be and still be part of my community and culture. For me it really helped having people that encouraged me to be myself and to pursue my goals, rather than been told 'who i should be' and 'what i should do with my life'. Its funny how like minded people from our culture/community come into our lives when we just be ourselves. Maybe its because there is an earnestness that shows when we leave behind the many masks we wear. 

• Like 3

I just want to be very clear, i strongly believe that culture is a mould we are born and raised into where as community we shape with our individual presence. 

• Like 1

Yeah, all cultures can have negative aspects i guess and it can be hard to dissociate from undesirable behavior patterns, beliefs, institutions etc. that are socially transmitted within those cultures.

Without going into too much detail, years ago i crashed and burned and found myself at the bottom. In a way, i was forced to face my emotional baggage and reprogram the way i thought about people, places and things. I found though, that i had a lot of cultural conditioning that was holding me back.

In the end what helped me, was some knowledgeable individuals from different groups i had become part of. From hearing their different stories and learning how they overcame similar obstacles, i not only broke negative conditioning, but slowly began to piece together a different way of living. This in turn allowed me to see and be part of the more positive aspects of culture and community. 

Today, i still have days where its a challenge to evade assimilation into negative and closed minded cultural aspects within our society. It can be hard when i'm surrounded by it. The difference is that now i have the tools to distance myself from those mindsets if need be. All in all, it was open minded people that helped me on my journey and help me to continue when i cannot sustain on my own - the many are stronger than the one.

• Like 3

On 10/04/2018 at 9:50 PM, TheMooseZeus said:

Being young and having most aspects of life out of my control all i have left is my body and my mind to work with. Currently, changing my environment is not an option.

Mate I don't know your situation, but there are only a few thing in life that truly bind us to our current place in life. Being incarcerated, a child in the care of adults, or to a lesser extent having children to someone your not with and wanting to be a regular part of their lives. By far the biggest thing that stops us from living the life we want to, is our selves, and the way our culture has conditioned us.This requires a simple attitude change. Stop waiting till everything is perfect, just like your culture tells you to (enough money, qualifications, mortgage paid off, etc. etc.). It's a very big beautiful world, and you only have one life to see and do all you want to, so get out amongst it. The perfect time is right now.

• Like 5

7 hours ago, Crop said:

The perfect time is right now

Thank you so much, it means a lot :)

• Like 1

Edited by Humbolt

Adopting another cultural viewpoint, if you can indeed do this, could have the unintended consequence of freeing you from many aspects of both. Simply living in a foreign country can immerse you in a new culture enough to make some changes inevitable for some. 

Edited by Inyan
  • Like 4

6 hours ago, Inyan said:

Adopting another cultural viewpoint, if you can indeed do this, could have the unintended consequence of freeing you from many aspects of both. Simply living in a foreign country can immerse you in a new culture enough to make some changes inevitable for some. 

Indeed. Especially if you move to a place where you don't know the language and start from scratch. You have no power to influence what goes on around you verbally, so you are kinda forced o go with the flow.

It's a humbling experience.

• Like 2

personally  leaving behind your culture is a sad thing.

embracing my culture set me free.

my olds come to Aus in 1950 as poor farmers escaping war and poverty. They tried to teach us not to forget where we came from but at the time we couldn't comprehend the significance of what they were trying to convey to us. Australia was hard in the 70's for me esp especially ie wog cunt, dago etc 

I totally understand your argument but to me it's premature.

Without my mum and dad teaching about mother earth and the importance of growing our own food , we would be lost in the future.

I learn't to till, sow and feed seeds from 5 years old. it's held me in good stead up until know.

These days people talk about embracing other cultures like (south American /Mexican/Peruvian especially because of things like aya, mesc and associated plant materials. 

Now, this isn't a bad thing especially but maybe you should research more about the way of your own elders and their ancients before you run off to the amazon to get a brew up ya.

My point is that i learnt a shit tonne of great knowledge from me olds and( i know that this is not possible for many anglo-saxon/brit types of 2nd/3rd gens like many of you but you must think deeply before you forsake what you own forfathers/formothers were trying to preserve to give to your parents to pass onto you.

Granted some parents are fucktards and they have tried really hard top ruin kids ...ie butt ciggies in your forehead or try sexing you up and doing bad shit bad still..............................you must rise above such matters and take CONTROL of your future and develop and harness the skills they were trying to pass on to you......try to look beyond the pain and focus on the positive.

Anyway, i could wax lyrical for ages about this topic but it makes me cry because of the pain i personally had to fight through to get to this point in my life...............forget about all the drugs peeps abuse to try to dull pain - me included.

Please take what i say as a comment not a statement.

i love and cherish my culture and have learn't much from my Mediterranean/middle eastern past  - i wish the same upon those that come after me

blessings and best wishes - i might come back to this if i have energy & power left from paying a mortgage, looking after my wife and elderly mum but seriously - embracing your past is the key to your future.

love and light

m

• Like 8