The Corroboree
Jonathan Baconson

Acacia suitable for cultivation in Sydney

Looking for suggestions on active Acacia's to cultivate that would go well in a Sydney climate. 

Cheers to all and have a lovely day.

• Like 1

I believe they will all do well. Have a look at the natives to your area for specifics though:)

• Like 1

A useful book I've owned for years is "Field Guide to the Native Plants of Sydney" by Les Robinson. It has identification keys which are really useful when you don't know where to start. 

According to the book,  a lot of the usual suspects are found in the Sydney area. Among them:

decurrens, falcata, floribunda, longifolia, maidenii, and obtusifolia. 

Depending on where you are there's probably a bush regeneration nursery/Greening Australia/State Forest nursery that would have tubestock of many of those species, for a good price. 

• Like 2

Try Sydney Golden Wattle :P

But yeah, Xperiment has the right idea. You can also find seeds and tubes for many on the SAB shop.

• Like 1

The user @communacacian sells tubestock of many different acacia species. I recommend the rare and endangered 'Acacia Courtii' for sydney climate, quite easy to keep alive mate.
Commy sells them, maybe has a decent sale on once or twice a year. PM him and see if he can help you out. Hes had obtusifolia, confusa, acuminata (narrow & broad), phlebophylla, and courtii all in the past. All your rarer more desirable acacias. Give him a shot.   

My courtii are 10ft+ tall now after 12 months from seedlings from him,  stoked with the resilience & heartiness & ornamental/aesthetic appeal of these trees too.
They are native to a few mountains on the mid north coast (very small area) bout 3-4 hrs north of Sydney....  So should do well where you are. I'm 4 hrs south of Sydney here, right on the water (wind and salt) and they do fine.

Good luck Jon.B    &   Welcome to the forums too bro.  
:shroomer:

• Like 1