The Corroboree
Irpini

Coleus - Parallel Dream World?

I am no expert on Coleus however I feel as though my observations must be shared with this community. I have been reading of the use of the mysterious Coleus plant it seems, according to research and examination of 'trip reports', that eating/blending small leaves, smoking the leaves and sometimes producing a tea provides noticeable yet minimal effects in comparison to other psychedelic substances. However I came across one report on the Erowid Experience Vault where the user ate one  large leaf described as a "leaf was about 6 inches long and 4-5 inches wide with lots of dark red on it", just before going to sleep.  I will summarise his experience but if your are interested in this topic i recommend you to read the article https://erowid.org/experiences/exp.php?ID=56882 . His dream was set in the future and it involved violent aliens coming to Earth. He then advised his friend to try a large leaf before going to sleep (without telling his friend about his dream) and his friend reported to have the exact same dream.

Here is where it gets interesting. ∂an reported about his use of Coleus (http://www.shaman-australis.com/forum/index.php?/topic/36752-using-plants-to-catalyse-dreams/#comment-441722) where he consumed some large leaves of the plant before going to bed. Very, very similar to the way the other user took Coleus.  He too reported of violent aliens coming to Earth.

Who knows if this was a coincidence or if this plant is hiding mystical secrets, however if the main active component of this plant is found and isolated its potential could be incredible. 

Look at Salvia Divinorum for example, it was thought to be 'placebo' and only have minimal effects however once the active compound Salvinorin A was found and extracts I don't think any people who have used the extract believe it only has minimal effects anymore :lol:.

Just saying... it could have very high potential if studied more considering the freakishly similar dreams users who have eaten large, mature leaves before sleeping.

• Like 8

doesn't sound like the most pleasant experience to look forward to, but I might be willing to give it a go in the name of science...

• Like 2

I've had some of the most vivd and weird dreams on coleus. I usually pick the heads of the stalks containing a few large leaves and a few small. 

I don't know if placebo works when you are asleep...

I remember having one dream where me and a few old friends go to this church on this old English street. We ended up smoking out of a long what looked like an opium pipe with the priest. Then my vision went wavy and thats all i could remember... Parallel dream world suits it nicely. 

29102126_973583806123598_3254851406615543808_o.jpg

29102126_973583806123598_3254851406615543808_o.thumb.jpg.387a146ec21b26f46e3ca34ea72ea377.jpg

29102126_973583806123598_3254851406615543808_o.thumb.jpg.387a146ec21b26f46e3ca34ea72ea377.jpg

• Like 2

10 hours ago, TheMooseZeus said:

I've had some of the most vivd and weird dreams on coleus. I usually pick the heads of the stalks containing a few large leaves and a few small. 

I don't know if placebo works when you are asleep...

I remember having one dream where me and a few old friends go to this church on this old English street. We ended up smoking out of a long what looked like an opium pipe with the priest. Then my vision went wavy and thats all i could remember... Parallel dream world suits it nicely. 

29102126_973583806123598_3254851406615543808_o.jpg

What colours where the leaves? Was the main colour a dark red?

It was the same plant i posted a picture of. No idea what strain it is i stole a cutting from outside Maccas. 

Theres some coleus blumei in my area too so i'll give that a try. 

Dark red almost brown seems about right. The amount of light they get really effects it.

I wonder if Syrian rue would have any effect on the results 

Edited by TheMooseZeus
  • Like 1

Maccas providing the goods once again :lol: 

Just had a look at the Erowid Experience Vaults and no one has reported using the coleus with Syrian Rue, would be interesting to see if how the Harmala alkaloids of the Syrian Rue combine with the unknown active components of the Coleus...

Edited by Irpini
  • Like 1

very interesting, I didn't know about those experience reports on erowid where coleus was also found to catalyse other worldly dreams.  my experience was with a majority green coleus with red colouration in the centre of the leaves, combined with caapi.  I no longer have that coleus plant unfortunately.

Christian Rätsch's book Encyclopaedia of Pyschoactive Plants has some interesting info in the entry for coleus blumei.  Here is a summary:

• originally from SE asia, brought to south america post-conquest
  • psychoactive use amongst the Mazatecs was discovered in 1962 in connection with Gordon Wasson's research into salvia divinorum [1]
  • Mazatecs consider coleus to be in the same "family" as salvia, and has been reported to be used as a substitute for salvia (no reference given)
  • however Daniel Seibert reported that he only ever met one person in the area of the Mazatecs who maintained that coleus was psychoactive [2]
  • is used medicinally in Samoa, SE Asia and PNG to treat various maladies including digestive issues and headaches [1,3,4]
  • Rosmarinic acid has been biosynthesised in cell cultures of coleus blumei [5,6]
  • a diterpene (forskolin = coleonol) that is potently bioactive has been found in coleus forskohlii [4,7]
  •  salvinorin-like substances have been isolated from coleus blumei (no reference) 

1. Ott 1993

2. Schuldes 1995

3. Uhe 1974

4. Valdes et al 1987

5. Häusler 1992

6. Meinhard 1993

7. D McKenna 1995

So it would appear that there are definitely some bio active compounds in some coleus plants, however its use as an effective shamanic intoxicant is inconclusive.  

• Like 2

On 3/16/2018 at 10:42 AM, Irpini said:

Just had a look at the Erowid Experience Vaults and no one has reported using the coleus with Syrian Rue, would be interesting to see if how the Harmala alkaloids of the Syrian Rue combine with the unknown active components of the Coleus...

I'll be the guinea pig!

• Like 1

On 3/16/2018 at 10:42 AM, Irpini said:

I'll be the guinea pig!

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, ∂an said:

my experience was with a majority green coleus with red colouration in the centre of the leaves, combined with caapi

What can you report from this?

1 hour ago, TheMooseZeus said:

What can you report from this?

see this post: 

This is real interesting stuff. I passed up the opportunity to procure some Coleus recently, I felt it might be better to get a hold of in Spring as it seems guaranteed to die off in my climate over winter.

Very interested in the dream potentiation aspects of this, also to see if I can get in early in order to pay humble respects to our future alien overlords :)

EDIT: Maybe it's just a case of people having been using it wrong as to its' perceived inactivity? Ie. that it works in the sleep state predominantly as opposed to being a waking experience.

Edited by Tøn

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plectranthus_scutellarioides

There are lots of reports for its oneirogenic effects, it should be interesting for people into lucid dreaming. There are less reports for its psychoactivity. 

Check out this huge old thread, its got lots of posts. 

• Like 1

On 24/03/2018 at 1:57 PM, Tøn said:

Maybe it's just a case of people having been using it wrong as to its' perceived inactivity? Ie. that it works in the sleep state predominantly as opposed to being a waking experience.

"It may be that a particular bodily chemistry is required to react to the plant." Encyclopedia of Psychoactive Plants (print ed.) p. 182.