The Corroboree
kadakuda

Mitragyne propagation

I know this should be easy, and i used to propagate the shit out of it.  but the last 2 years i have had literally zero success for 5 different (genetically) stock plants, many of their clones  and 2 different wild locations....

can't figure it out other than the plants are seemingly in a year round blooming mood unless i defoliate them.  wild plants less so, but travelling brings about other factors, not much point discussing those.

What are your guys' methods.  This used to be just  embarrassing, now its friggin frustrating!

I also want to get my method down again before traveling to go collect more new wild types.  last time cuttings all died and not so willing to travel in the intense heat anymore, so wild seed collection, for now, is out.

Im normally organic, but i have been trying hormones as well with this to try, and i have access to almost any chemical here if i need it.  And to get more plants at this stage im willing to use it as my trees are too big to relocate and my old farm is about to be turned into a rice paddy.....:(

the other one im trying to propagate is yohimbe, but iv read that is pretty tough without tissue culture, and my current situation is probably too dirty for that at this time,.  but if there are tips for that as well, im all ears :)  Just the kratom........ makes me feel like that guy who tries to grow dandelion and cant....dammit!

• Like 3

I've had 100% success on about a dozen cuttings so far using an aeroponic cloner and some IBA (clonex).

If I understood right you say your trees are blooming? If they set seeds that's a great way to go for propagation. I envy you if you live somewhere Mitragyna grows wild.

Here's a successful tray of clones I took from ~5 months old seedlings:

719068203-IMG_20170930_134117-2016x1295. 719067818-IMG_20170930_134106-2016x1383.

PS: If you are the kadakuda from kada's garden I just want to say thank you, wish you site was still up and god bless thewaybackmachine

Edited by MeanGreen

This is true, and my new location is way drier, and that seems to be the issue, but raising humidity is also causing rot. 

Nice looking cuts there man, i may need to hook up a pump and a rubbermaid then...just got some fresh IBA and NAA so will try, my old bottles long expired haha so no surprise they weren't so effective.

but i woudl note your cuttings are from 5 month old seedlings.  when my plants were younger, under a couple years, and not yet blooming they were also one of the easiest things in the world to strike roots.  even just a cup of water i got 80%+.  but after blooming things changed drastically.  wondering if others had similar experiences or just im dropping the ball...

One and the same, but it doesnt grow wild here, i sometimes go traveling to collect plants when i need a break from local life haha ;)

• Like 3

Those look great, Meangreen!

strage though.....I have had very little success with the aeroponic cloner..

It seemed like the stem inside the cloned got too wet or something , turned brown and died.

did not add IBA though,

Any suggestions!

Edited by shonman

no hormons needed! no fancy equipment needed! 

I said it here before at sab, the trick is:

THEY ARE AN EASY CUTTING IF YOU USE SPRING GROWTH!

OR IF VERY TROPICAL, I SUPPOSE AFTER THE THE COLDER SEASON HAS FINISHED.

many cuttings only strike easy, if you use the spring flush growth.

best is to prune the area, and than use the spring growth.

in the old times, I tried later growth, and managed to strike only one single cutting.

EARLY SEASON PICK, IS THE SECRET!! :)

Edited by withdrawl clinic
  • Like 3

Yes, that is the easy way .

i am talking about propagating 365 days / year !

however, there is also great wisdom in your advice.

Edited by shonman

W.C.

you are quite correct about cloning things in the right season.

Edited by shonman
  • Like 1

You were PlantHelper  before?

what happened?

good points thanks.  before teh issue was they grow all year here and even flower almost all year, so it was always hard to get good growth.  so a month ago took your advice, cut the shit out of it, like everything.  at that time still kind of dry.  now the rains have come and its flushed with new growth, the difference now is no flowers, which before always had flowers.  so happy to report teh cuttings taken 4 days ago already have white root spooge on the stems, wow.  sems problem solved.  thanks

• Like 2