The Corroboree
Quarzo

psilocybe australiana season?

hey all i know im a bit early in the year for golden teachers, i did some reading and im aware they like late april and may more. however i was wondering if anyones had luck finding them early, ive been hiking around a bit (north-nsw, bellingen area) after some rainfall, havent found any but ive spotted alot of areas that look like they would be growing when the season fully hits

I'd have thought that you'd have better luck searching for cubensis in that area at this time of year? I know subs (aka: australiana) have been found up around those parts as well, but thought they were comparatively-rare and cubes were the MUCH more common species. There'll be pockets of pan cyans around in the warm/wet weather too. Try to befriend some cattle farmers.

• Like 3

yeah, did cubes last year. wanted more of a challenge, they're very common in the cow fields here only just out of town

I was under the impression that 'Golden Teacher' was just a colloquial name for Psilocybe Cubensis anyway. The season around those parts varies quite a bit each year but now should be pretty ripe especially if the humidity is up in the %90 range with decent rain- which i believe you've had a tonne of.

I've found Cubes up around the Promised Lands as early as December but never much past April but this is also when Panaeolus Cyanescens seemed to appear, i.e. after the Cubes were no longer around.

Plenty of fertile sites around there so only one way to find out for sure :) Happy Hunting

So what are the rough months for pans, subs and cubs?

Cubs are found in cowpats, subs are found in leaf litter etc and I'm not so sure about pans...

Just getting into hunting recently :)

2 hours ago, TheMooseZeus said:

So what are the rough months for pans, subs and cubs?

Mate, pan's and cub's, when ever its warm, wet and humid. Pan's are another dung loving fungi. No sub's up this way, but I think when it's cold, wet and humid.

• Like 1

last two months were big for cubes here, stacks and stacks. sadly a lot of mine went mouldy :(, last few times ive been out to check i only found one or two, so im assuming that means sub season is here or coming soon :)