The Corroboree

Hey, I'm looking to start helping some bees live in my yard. I have no experience with bees, nor know anything about looking after them. However one thing I do know about them is they're extremely important little helpers and I would like to start helping them so they can in turn continue helping us :)

Looking for any info on beekeeping, plants that they especially like and ways to keep them out of harm. Also I'm unsure if certain bees have preferred climates and locations, I'm in nsw so if there's a certain species that would prefer this kind of area I'm looking for some info on that too. Thanks in advance, cheers 

• Like 1

Look into sugarbag bees. Or any Australian native stingless bees. That way you don’t need bee keeping suits and smokers and your helping out native little buggers out. Hives usually go anywhere from $250-$600 depending on who you get it from. http://www.sugarbag.net/

While our native bees arnt really the best for honey production (if that’s your purpose) they can give small amounts once a hive is established. 

Personally have no experience with bees (yet) other than watching the hoards around my yard go for any flowers that pop up.

good luck and hope you get your bees.

• Like 2

See if you find a nearby beekeeper mate and have a chat if your thinking about getting bees into your life. Even if you don't want to get into hive culture, they will know what local challenges face bees.... There's a lot of them

There would be one (probably a few) nearby. If you do want to try your hand a culture they are usually fantastic at helping getting started.

Best thing you can do is keep a check on what chems you may use, as many types affect bees (if necessary changing application times can be very beneficial) .... and provide a flowering garden that's broad in species and covers a broad flowering period.

Diversity is probably the best thing to helping bees out. Build it... And they will come

I have chats with the local pro-beekeepers that move truckloads of hives about for crop pollination services pretty often.... We be in serious shit without bees about.

• Like 2

Hi corn-dog, if your interested in natives check out the research centre at http://www.aussiebee.com.au heap's of free info and their booklets are good value. I keep Austroplebia's but I think Tetragonula is the go down your way.   5a88d90763ec6_BeesofNSW.thumb.jpg.4d196763f599946f9d424dac84d6d8a3.jpg Don't ignore the solitaries, their fairly easy to attract and fascinating.

5a88d90763ec6_BeesofNSW.thumb.jpg.4d196763f599946f9d424dac84d6d8a3.jpg

5a88d90763ec6_BeesofNSW.thumb.jpg.4d196763f599946f9d424dac84d6d8a3.jpg

• Like 3