The Corroboree
ElectricDawn

Hey, Anyone have any Non-PC pachanoi pups available?

Question

If anyone has any 15-30cm pups of some non-pc pachanois like yowie, Rod, NZ (even any other ones with different names that I’m not aware of) please PM, I’m happy to compensate.. I’m trying to get a nice collection going..

send me some pics if you like! :lol:

4 answers to this question

As PC pachanoi is a specific clone, the easiest way to ensure you don't have that clone is to grow pachanoi from seeds. As an added benefit, you will be the only one with that exact set of genetics in each individual seedling. The result, you will then be 100% assured that each seedling will be able to breed with each other as Trichocereus pachanoi are not self-fertile. I definitely like your desire to have the new or novel. Its why I grow the best crosses from the best parents from seed. Graft those seedlings and your going to have some beautiful and fairly descent sized specimens in no time at all. And heck yeah, get a few noteworthy clones along the way as well. While at the same time producing  your very own noteworthy Trichocereus from seed. 

Thanks inyan. I completely get that and I’ve already got some on the go from seed.. I just wanted to get some cool Pachanois that are getting around.. I ended up finding some, so all is well.

cheers!

• Like 1

how can you tell if it's pc or not a hybrid?

On 2/20/2018 at 3:35 PM, DiscoStu said:

how can you tell if it's pc or not a hybrid?

If you grew your specimen from a seed then you can be sure it is not a clone. However, if you received your specimen as a cutting then it may or may not be PC. Phenotypes can be shared just as you may have blue eyes and one, both, or none of your parents may have blue eyes. The bottom line is that without DNA testing to ensure you have an exact match phenotypes can be misleading as what you see does is not the genotype, but instead what you see is simply physical characteristics that can be shared. Think of it like PC being a particular St.Bernard for instance. So, we have P.C. St. Bernard. You may have many other look alike that may be different on the inside, but on the outside... they are still St. Bernards. All PC St. Bernards are St. Bernards, but not all St. Bernards are PC. Now, think of all other pachanoi as other dog breeds.  

First generation crosses often have traits from both parents, but they may be heavier in some traits than others i.e. one parent may have more dominant traits. Still, a more complex cross like an F1 aka sibling cross can result in  an F2 generation where some seedlings will look like PC, others will still be a mixture of both parental phenotypes, and still others will more closely resemble the other parent. To complicate matters crossing that F1 that most resembles the PC parent back to the PC parent can increase that type of phenotype. Or one could simply do a backcross to another Trichocereus that had the PC look and lock in that PC phenotype that way as well.

So while cacti can share a similar phenotype or  appearance on the outside. Internally they may differ quite a lot. Remember, a hybrid may hide its hybrid ancestry or it may show distinctly what its ancestry is. Complex hybrids can be even harder to figure out especially so if the hybridizer has selected for a specific look generation after generation. When you look at the hybrids created with Hemerocallis for instance you are often looking at many different species and many different crosses all rolled into one. The idea of course being to select the best genes to produce the most unique or best phenotype over many generations.

One thing is for certain, if your PC blooms and it has a pink or orange flower... it is a hybrid and not a PC.

To confuse matters more, sometimes phenotype can change slightly due to different growing conditions or environments. The bottom line as I see it though is no one can truly tell if you have a clone or a seed grown cultivar if that phenotype matches up sufficiently with another specimen already in wide circulation. Breeding back to the same parent 3 times for instance would severely lock in that particular phenotype of the one parent resulting in many look a likes. 

Edited by Inyan