The Corroboree
sagiXsagi

Lopho monstrous dichotomy - what do you think?

This dichotomy has been happening some time now, but for several months now, perhaps even a year there has been happening ... this.. 

I dont really understand what is happening with these "tentacles". The two growing points also seem especially elongated, not just oval....This is a slow grower strain, that is a non-caespitosa, grafted on pachanoi. The 4-5 year old graft has been stressed many times, neglected , left root-bound and only recently repotted 

Have you seen anything like this? 

Is it a side-effect of the dichotomy that will cease or there is something real monstrosa going on? 

DSCN5495.jpg

DSCN5496.jpg

DSCN5495.thumb.jpg.561ec91df0ea145c0793fbd05306bacb.jpg

DSCN5496.thumb.jpg.5e7516e981d933c315687dd97eea8bf4.jpg

DSCN5495.thumb.jpg.561ec91df0ea145c0793fbd05306bacb.jpg

DSCN5496.thumb.jpg.5e7516e981d933c315687dd97eea8bf4.jpg

• Like 3

dnno fella but all I can say is it looks gorgeous!.. and I often wondered similar kinda things about one of my kid's Loph's ..  but maybe it's just gna make 2 heads or something> *shrug

we've called it a few names like garfield and Dr robotnik so far :3

P1010438.JPG

I kinda think yours looks a little like a cute smiley alien about to crawl outta a fluffy wrinkly/prolapsed pussy having just "upped periscope" with it's head  ;3 sorry for that if you see it now I said it and can never unsee it if it happens

P1010438.JPG

P1010438.JPG

• Like 2

hehehe, in yours though the dichotomy seems 'clean' , no?  in mine it seems there is some weird growth from in between the dichotomy line or something. 

• Like 1

One of my L. williamsii, on its own roots, dichotomised (is that a word?) - starting about 4 years ago.  Become a nice double header.  All the sprouts around it have just self seeded - seeds fell off of Momma and germinated.  I always have seeds of this species to give away - PM me if interested.

dichotomy.JPG

dichotomy.thumb.JPG.2f7ebd9f06ca6595a562732a8960085e.JPG

dichotomy.thumb.JPG.2f7ebd9f06ca6595a562732a8960085e.JPG

Edited by Spanishfly
  • Like 2

On 08/01/2018 at 9:29 AM, sagiXsagi said:

hehehe, in yours though the dichotomy seems 'clean' , no?  in mine it seems there is some weird growth from in between the dichotomy line or something. 

still really new to the phenomena .. i dnno what to answer so gna just nod and agree and take it as opportunity to learn that from you.. I see what you mean and maybe you're gna pop out a varigate? dnno why i feel that way .. maybe i saw an ebay freakie and somehow reminds me of your's shape of 'dirty'(?) / irregularity in it's crease of crestage that had the colouration yours is presenting but more of it .. the species was darker green maybe a gymno? maybe that cactus china? - going from bad memories  i hope it increstigates for ya :3

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, ☽Ţ ҉ĥϋηϠ₡яღ☯ॐ€ðяئॐ♡Pϟiℓℴϟℴ said:

oh wow i sure hope that's ahead and in store for my dicho .. or maybe a full frontal dichotomy :3

It´s not just the dochotomy that self seeds- lots do.  Here is my biggest Loph with lots of sprouts

CIMG0832.JPG

CIMG0832.thumb.JPG.1c466abdaea1e7d3eff2a2d9dd82d35a.JPG

CIMG0832.thumb.JPG.1c466abdaea1e7d3eff2a2d9dd82d35a.JPG

• Like 2

oh , sorry , I meant as in features - wize ... to look fwd to,  or aspire toward,  even a little bit close to the brutality we witness here today from your's and sagix's dich's ..

lots of the lophs I grow self seed.. and it's one of the really beautiful things about the peijotl in that it can make babies all on it's own and also makes for nicer fruit eating with less seeds when not pollinated. :)

Yeah I have to agree that finding seedlings in ones own pots is pretty cool. Lophos, Astrophytum, Stenocacti, all do this... 

and yep dischotomise and dichotomy are real words, of 100% greek root actually, not unlike the word Lophophora

TH> I would think my graft as a simple dichotomy if there wasnt some alien form coming out of the dividing line :P 

• Like 1

you've created a mutant :3 it will start ripping thru the city limits any moment breaching the security of everything! - quick .. train it to go after govt buildings before it's old enough to turn on you :3