The Corroboree
Northerner

psychotria leaves not pupping

I've had some psychotria leaf sections in soil for months now and they have decent root growth, but they are not pupping? The leaves are staring to get old and brown on the far edges now, chanting and wand waving isn't helping.

How do I induce pupping?

Is there nothing wrong and I should just keep waiting... and waiting, and waiting....

Edited by Northerner
  • Like 1

How many months has it been? I also have some rooted leaves that have been potted for over 3 months now that still haven't sprouted but from what I've heard 3 to 5 months is the timeframe we're looking at.

Albas seems to sprout faster, all 6 of my pieces of leaves planted at the same time as the viridis have now put out plantlets.

• Like 1

I dunno really how long they've been there, maybe about 3 months.

I we've been unseasonably dry I was just out applying a wrap, and having a poke at the bases of the leaves whilst I was at it. 1 of them has a node. B)

The funny thing is I put in some green branch cuttings a few weeks or so ago and they struck immediately and have already started growing new leaves.

My carthas all sprouted from berries in record time as well, and then stalled. Maybe just preparing root systems before the big push?

• Like 1

Viridis from leaves is slow, at least 3 months... 

i get fantastic results with the leaves in a zip lock baggie with some damp moss or even a wetted paper towel

• Like 1

Paper towel tel all the way. I did a side by side comparison and paper towels won easily. I'll find the link to the thread I posted...

• Like 2

I started em off in paper towels but the roots grew all through the towel and they were really stuck in there, so i removed them as gently as possible and put them in soil.

Now I have them in a seedling tray covered with wrap. Will see how they like the super high humidity like that. :)

I tried the bag method with carth and viridis.

Carth was fine, sprouted pups within three months. Viridis sprouted roots about 5 months in, but then rotted completely.

Patience is the key, as well as being able to keep the leaves at constant temp (too cool prevents growth and too high can increase likelihood of rot).

I have found with my now mature carthagenesis (3 years old now) that the easiest propagation technique is to find the offshoots at the base of the plant- often they already have roots. I have also found taking decent cuttings works well- put into a cloning machine I get roots in about 4 weeks.

The leaf method, although convenient and less stressful for the mother plant, is a game for patient people.

• Like 1

Well the wrap appears to have made a major difference, I have loads of plantlets now, some quite large. 

Maybe it's a coincidence, maybe it helped. Either way I'm a happy chappy now. :)