The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Numina

Adivce on germinating spores on MYA

Hi,

Recently found some wild mushrooms that I would like to grow. Made up some MYA and tried some tissue cultures. I have been successfully growing oysters for a few years now. My first cultures were cloned from some mushrooms I bought at a local fruit and vege shop.  I have had great success ( a few failures) cloning using MYA and tissue cultures.  Almost no contaminations with the oysters at every stage of the growing process ( some losses due to Trich at the straw log stage).  The thing about oysters is that you can pretty easily get some mycellium from inside the mushroom that has not been exposed to the outside air and so bacterial contamiation is not such a problem. 

The wild mushrooms I am trying to work with are quite small and I was not able to get any mycellium that was completely from inside the mushroom (most of the mushroom is gills with a very thin layer of mycellium on top of the cap) .  I have not tried using the stems but they are very thin and I dont think I could get a tissue sample that did not include some external tissue.  All the cultures I made (15) contaminated with slimy bacteria and no growth occurred.

I was able to get a very good spore print inside a sterile petri dish from one of the mushrooms.  I have only tried germinating from spores (Pearl oyster) once before without success.  I dont want to lose this muchroom so am asking for advice on the highest probabilty method to germinate these spores.  Spores are only 1 day old.

Thanks

• Like 2