The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
bergerac

Bridgesii 'Cliff' with huge spines?

Hi guys

Im pretty new to Trichs so I dont know if this is normal or not but I have two Bridgesii 'Cliff' cuttings that are seem to be doing well but are growing huge spines, approx 40-50mm long. It started on the pups but now the original cuttings are starting to grow new long spines aswell. Is this just something to do with the growing conditions?

Cheers

• Like 1

Sounds like the typical symptoms of LSCV (long spine cactus virus)

First thing you wanna do is put on protective clothes (don't forget goggles) and then put the whole thing in a cardboard box roots and all.

I will PM you the adress of a biohazard disposal service (they work completely free of charge)

On a serious sidenote thats a good question.

Is your cliff coming from a environment brighter than it is now?

I'm asking cause since spines are modified leaves, it makes me wonder if the same techniques used in bonsai to keep leaves small would apply to cacti

• Like 3

Don t worry, it's just growing more spines.

Cacti often do that as they get older and the further you go down a mature cactus, the spinier it gets.

The spines start out quite fat and juicy, but shrink as they dry up.

Edited by Halcyon Daze
  • Like 2

One of my cliffs the spines are getting big

F28C7637-0C8F-4A2F-AD18-C6B46CE94D71.thumb.jpeg.909cb013fd14d7b4755decd1fdf66ec8.jpeg

F28C7637-0C8F-4A2F-AD18-C6B46CE94D71.thumb.jpeg.909cb013fd14d7b4755decd1fdf66ec8.jpeg

• Like 2

I thought there was some correlation with water ratio  ie. more water = more spines

• Like 2

Ohh noo not LCSV! burn it all!

Not sure about the growing conditions, the cuttings came from the original 'cliff' and had quite tiny spines, the bigger spines seem to have appeared over winter so i guess that water could be the cause

thanks for the replies, i will continue to admire it from afar :P

• Like 2

Hey there,

I am sorry for any unintentional misleading information of the plant's characteristics!  My planted Cliff is now in its second growing season and is also throwing out longer spines, with the new growth also showing less blue.  In saying this it is true to its other characteristics and still has a prominent place in my heart, my plant work and my collection.  This definitely has something to do with the components of food (ferts), water and sunlight.  Much of the mother plant was shaded by a peach tree and in ambient's shady garden the new growth on his cuts are super blue and less spiny.

• Like 4

Not feeling mislead at all, still learning and curious. Mine is still quite blue but the pups have huge spines. Still growing my collection so don't have a lot to compare to

• Like 1

I got hold of a cut of a rare, almost spineless bridge. First pup was covered in big nasty spines. It's now over a foot long and the spines aren't giving up any time soon. The pup on top looks nothing like the original cutting below.

• Like 1