The Corroboree

Question

4 answers to this question

This prolly won't help much but IMO they are some kinda hybrid, and you won't really be able to tell until they are planted out in the sun and growing tough.

Very nice looking plants though, and look like you've done a good job raising them. :P

• Like 3

still being a noob re- the pachanoi peruvianus problem...

I anticipate you'll be told it's a peruvianus by some folk ..(for being blue, and that true pachanoi are always green).. ,

that you might come to the conclusion through experience that some pachanoi go blue and most peruvianus go blue but some of either also seem to enjoy being green more...

I guess the closest I ever came to imagining what it's like to understand the pach/peru difference is reading EG and the like explain away how they are close species/ intermediate species often/ high possibility of unknown hybridization

etc.. eventually the peruvianus that grow up to have big fuck-off spines tend to graduate in their range from big fuck-off type obvious .., - to subtle and then you think aha!! the bigger and more brutally spined, fluffier areole types must be the peruvianus...

but yeah I still haven't nailed that one down and the only way I could come to terms and label something peruvianus without having bought peruvianus from people who are so far ahead in experience and enormously respected in the cactical ops world who sold me a plant labelled peruvianus .. was that bigger fuffier spination and areole thing.

I reckon they might be peruvianus but then there are "long spined" pachanoi to make it even more interesting .

what makes it even more annoying is that we have to over winter our cacties on this part of the world which makes their features change and they are like masters of disguise sometimes.

like Hal says above;  the outdoors can reveal a lot in features, just one growing season outside (although in pots and not the ground mostly) with rock ferts transformed my cacties into fkn brutes .. it was such a cool thing to see

and really revealed just how bad a turn growing them indoors permanantly was.

But hey, we do what we can , we overwinter to save their piddley asses despite their looking so tough :)

• Like 1

Whatever they are, they are superlative! That lime green between the ribs and the dark red spines....I know that doesn't help your ID question but wow.

I say if they came labelled as pachanoi then keep that name until proven otherwise.

• Like 1

Well they could be both. 50/50 så I'd stick to the description. They are very overlaping, these two species, could  well be the same species (in some cases). And besides.... San Pedro and other names for these cacti are sometimes the same for many species of the trichocereus family in other parts of the world. 

They are growing like crazy! Very good job raisingen them. By the way, I wouldnt agree with "true Pachs are always green". Many Pachanoi with that arkaic morphology of a "true pach". Ive had some that where blå or even silver. At a certain age many Pachs and other cacti get glaucus, a pale silverblue coating in varying degree. 

Peace!