The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
nabraxas

old research

Scientists have warned that taking just one or two ecstasy pills could cause long-lasting brain damage leading todepression. A single experiment with the dance drug may leave a person vulnerable to future mental problems,according to new evidence.Researchers have urged people to stay away from the drug, even though many users regard it as a harmlessweekend recreation. Psychologists from London Metropolitan University found individuals who had tried ecstasyon only a few occasions had depression levels four times higher than those who had taken a range of other drugsbut not ecstasy. Although they did not qualify as clinically depressed, the findings suggested that taking ecstasyhad left them susceptible to major problems triggered by stress or emotional turbulence.Lynn Taurah, who carried out the research with Dr Chris Chandler, said: "People often think taking ecstasy justonce or twice won't matter, but what we're seeing is evidence that if you take ecstasy a couple of times you dodamage to your brain that later in life will make you more vulnerable. "Many of these people are workingprofessionals, and you can imagine if they have a problem or a bit of stress in their life their depression levelscould go up. Taking ecstasy is really not a good idea."The researchers presented their findings at the British Psychological Society's annual conference in Bournemouth.They studied 519 volunteers, including some who were current or past ecstasy users and others who had eithernever taken drugs or taken a number of drugs other than ecstasy including alcohol and cannabis.Ecstasy users were broken down into those who had used the drug more or less than a total of 20 times. The lessfrequent users ranged between people who had only ever had half a tablet and those who had taken up to 19 pills,while the more frequent users included ecstasy veterans who had tried the drug 3,000 times or more.

this is what i found interesting

DEA Fast Fact: Drug use can be far more deadly than alcohol. Although alcohol is used by seven times asmany people as drugs, the number of deaths induced by those substances are not far apart. According to theCenters for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), during 2000, there were 15,852 drug-induced deaths; onlyslightly less than the 18,539 alcohol-induced deaths.

Now I'm relly depresed , I'm so stressed i just can't cope any more.. :D

nabraxas:

Psychologists from London Metropolitan University found individuals who had tried ecstasyon only a few occasions had depression levels four times higher than those who had taken a range of other drugsbut not ecstasy.

Dont you just love the pseudo-science used in propoganda... if they were seeking the truth of the matter they would have investigated the fact that ecstacy is touted as the best anti-depressant love-drug available on the streets and thus attracts those who are batteling depression already. They also may have made a study of the effects of the adulterants put in ecstacy (adulterants that are there because there is no quality control allowed on illegal drugs).

I'm no major advocate of ecstacy but I spit on the 'scientists' who take part in blatantly unscientific research to aid a propoganda war.

Ptttewwwyyyy

Originally posted by nabraxas:

According to theCenters for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), during 2000, there were 15,852 drug-induced deaths; onlyslightly less than the 18,539 alcohol-induced deaths.

How irrelevant is this?!? In Oz more than 95% of drug deaths are from heroin. What has that got to do with ecstasy use?