The Corroboree
Thoth

The multi-dimensional universe hiding inside your head

This is interesting - and was posted on my birthday - coincidence? I think not! :P

• Like 1

Here's the bit that I'm guessing 3 out of 4 trippers are not grasping when they read that article:

It is important to understand these structures do not exist in more than three dimensions in space. Only the mathematics used to describe them uses more than three dimensions.

So they're not saying that the brain has facets outside of regular time & space and encompasses parallel dimensions or whatever. Their use of the word "dimensions", in this context, just means that the brain has a structure with lots of levels of connections, and so is really complex. But I guess "really complex" just doesn't have the same buzzwordy pizzazz that "multi-dimensional" does.

By chance, I've just been reading a book about the other kind of multi-dimensional thinking, which suggests that brains may be quantum-processors, linked to all the infinite copies of themselves that exist within the polycosm. If you like your sci-fi slow & pedantic, I recommend checking it out: Anathem, by Neal Stephenson.

• Like 4

Is that those structures in neurons that are exactly the size where quantum physics gives way to regular physics?  I forget all that stuff but yeah, curious.

Nassim harameins "black whole" goes into it.  I found that film fascinating at the time, but not anymore.  He made his bed with the cosmology phonies i hate so much.  They would treat him with 100% disdain but theyre barely any better themselves IMO.

Edited by ThunderIdeal

Well I never believed in multiple dimensions until i saw it with my own mind. It can't be unseen now.  :o

Seeing it in your mind isnt the same as it actually existing.

I know exactly what you mean man, truly, but the concept of extra dimensions has been around for well over a century; the concept isn't in doubt.  directions other than x y and z havent been proven to exist and there may be no good reason to believe they ever will.

Seeing is believing. :wink:

There's been a lot of speculation and theoretical testing amongst physicists and they are doing their best to prove the existence of additional dimensions past out known 4. String theory and M Theory have given rise to to scientific terms of duality, super-symmetry and branes.  Unfortunately the dimensions that are being theorized exist on a micro level and we can't see them, but the implications for scientific applications are huge.

Or they dont exist at all. 

Or they do, but not the way string theory supposes.  Personally i think its a load, because its an attempt to repair the flaws in accepted theories.  IMO

Not trying to be a dick btw.  I dont know anything and its hella cool the way that hallucinated patterns seem to move through extra dimensions. Frustratingly hard though to extract the kind of meaningfulness that's hinted at, which is why i'd like more geniuses to go loooking.

Edited by ThunderIdeal

I'm a great believer also of broken modern scientific theory, especially as so much new research has forced narratives due to economics and mass educated paradigms. But I still find this stuff highly interesting and don't write it off completely. Hopefully they prove duality with halidron collider before they create a singularity.

17 hours ago, Anodyne said:

Here's the bit that I'm guessing 3 out of 4 trippers are not grasping when they read that article:

So they're not saying that the brain has facets outside of regular time & space and encompasses parallel dimensions or whatever. Their use of the word "dimensions", in this context, just means that the brain has a structure with lots of levels of connections, and so is really complex. But I guess "really complex" just doesn't have the same buzzwordy pizzazz that "multi-dimensional" does.

By chance, I've just been reading a book about the other kind of multi-dimensional thinking, which suggests that brains may be quantum-processors, linked to all the infinite copies of themselves that exist within the polycosm. If you like your sci-fi slow & pedantic, I recommend checking it out: Anathem, by Neal Stephenson.

Yeah I think I’ll give that book a miss. You only need to look at pictures of galaxies and brain structures to realise they are macrocosm/microcosm :)

19 hours ago, Anodyne said:

If you like your sci-fi slow & pedantic, I recommend checking it out: Anathem, by Neal Stephenson.

Hey @Yeti101 was spruiking that book to me.  I bet its a great book.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ThunderIdeal said:

I bet its a great book. 

It's actually not. It's something like 800 pages of stilted philosophy and excessive dialogue mashed in with some interesting alternate history kinda stuff. But still, somehow, when I finished it I looked up and realised that in the last few hours I'd become homesick for a fictional world. And the brains-as-quantum-processors idea has lodged so firmly I have trouble entertaining other models of consciousness now. I only know a few other weirdoes who liked it, and Yeti's one of them.

As for the topic of self-aware galaxies, I'm just gonna repeat what I said about it last time:

On 1/20/2014 at 8:05 PM, Anodyne said:

Just because conscious neural networks are fractal, does not mean that all fractals represent consciousness. Stupid pattern-seeking human brains and their converse errors... I wonder if self-aware galaxy-spanning darkmatter-beings suffer from the same kind of logical fallacies that we do?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Anodyne said:

I only know a few other weirdoes who liked it, and Yeti's one of them.

:P Guilty as charged - shows how much damage reading academic philosophy has done to me over the years. Funny, most books I love, I can re-read with ease, but not this one. I know what you mean about the ideas in it though. I'm pretty comfortable with multiverse/polycosm etc.; some philosophers, most notably David Lewis, who talk about 'possible worlds' think that they really exist. Lewis also thought we don't have any direct access to these worlds because they're causally isolated from us. If that wasn't the case, then, who knows, maybe there's something to Stephenson's ideas in Anathem after all.