The Corroboree

Hey guys n gals well i have been gardening for 2 seasons now and my veg always well SUCKS BALLS growing seedlings and propagating i have pretty much got a great grasp on but now i know i need to learn more about soil.

1. I learn't the $3-4 bag of bunnings potting soil is chit

2. Good bag of potting mix adds up to a chit ton of $$ if potting up a lot.

3. Fertilizer in the same category as no2 it costs a chit ton at bunnings/hw

I have access to horse manure free, or there's a farm gate - bags of chock poo $3 for a decent size bag (pic attached does this already look composted? it's very dry feels like the consistency of blood n bone i would have thought fresh poo would be well more fresh lol) if it's composted whooo how much should be spread around a hand full a meter ish?

So once i have some properly composted horse manure is it do much to use straight for potting up? should i blend it with the cheap $4 bunnings potting bags 50/50 more less?

Also plan to do manure tea for fert either chock or horse manure for a cheaper option to store brought is there a good poo/water ratio?

Cheers in adv

IMG_2593.JPG

IMG_2593.thumb.JPG.8293ce6b306fbd19b9f72a826e77f2aa.JPG

IMG_2593.thumb.JPG.8293ce6b306fbd19b9f72a826e77f2aa.JPG

Edited by od101010
  • Like 2

hey man, 

i lay horse poo 6-10 inches each year on everything followed by woodchips comprised of whole chipped trees, heaps of green in the mix ... 6 to 10 inches again 

check this out... say goodbye to shitty veges my friend

• Like 6

if that doesnt embed ... his names Paul Gautschi hes on youtube its called back to eden gardening...

Check out the Super Soil Nutrient Kit from:

https://www.drgreenthumbs.com.au/

Edit:

Mushroom ID at 0:28 in that video Saylor?

Edited by SayN
  • Like 2

i saw that eden garden thing and was gna give it a bash but lost a local tree surgeon for the woodchip..
i wonder if this will work

• Like 3

Nice video twift im well inspired now no dig sounds great too i really wish i had of started in autumn lol, that deep dark soil mmmmm.

So much to learn so little time but next year my plan will be to have decent vege patch

Start piling up some horse crap this weekend ;)

• Like 1

i'll check the next vid later today it's a big one lol have a few things i need to do but looks interesting.

Wow those's videos are well worth watching people get on it.

So twift sounds like you basically have a similar soil to the eden video by layering manure/chips/manure/chips seems to be the GO do u water much or have the same effect as the eden vid?

Edited by od101010
  • Like 1

Also the chook poo i have does it sound like it's already been composted (pic in 1st post)?

Cheers

i hardly water my garden at all unless im trying to get seeds to pop, maybe once or twice a week if its been dry but even then it doesnt seem like i absolutely have to...ive left it for 2+ months and it was sweet, having said that... watering extra wont hurt :)  im all about maximum output to minimal work, i also dont stress so much about composting the manure as it goes down in a sheet over the whole area then gets watered to help it break down, mulch on top...good to go. the older it gets the better the soil gets... id maybe err on the side of caution with the chook manure if u plan to plant straight into it, the high nitrogen in chook poop might burn ur seedlings... heres another link you might find useful, this lady is a legend

21 hours ago, SayN said:

Edit:

Mushroom ID at 0:28 in that video Saylor?

i saw that too man! hahaha i cant say 100 percent but maybe its a semilanceata??? someone with better id skills might be able to pick it from exp. id be interested to know aswell if anyone else wants to chime in! i dont wanna jack your thread od101010 but itd be cool to know what that is :) 

• Like 1

Haha love the the part in ruth's vid how hubby knew she stayed out in the garden later that day by the cars still slowing down and stopping till 6 lol

• Like 1

My grandfather used to love to grow super large pumpkins, watermelons, etc. back in the day. Of course he is long gone having been born in the year 1900. However, he didn't do anything fancy other than stick a bunch of fish guts under his favorite plants. Of course you could often find him sitting not too far away with his gun aimed at the foxes that would often come out during the first few weeks of  planting to dig up those fish guts, but it was worth it to him to have some of the biggest crops in the area. He also used to burn sulfur in his tobacco fields as he swore it made his tobacco better and placed dead snakes in trees to make it rain. I can't vouch for the efficacy of those later two, but the first definitely works. It also helps to have a few hundred chickens to gather fecal matter up from. Tilling that into the ground helps heaps as well. Suffice it to say I'm a big fan of natural organic fertilizers. If you put too much non-composted material into your mix such as leaves, branches, etc. though you will find that the nitrogen is robbed from your plants you are trying to grow.

• Like 2

Man just finish the 1st trailer load of horse poo and prob still 2/3 of garden still to cover lol

This lot was well rotted no where near fresh.

The rest of the garden is planted out so shifting chips that are already down around young plants i found was a pain + i squished some doh!

Might throw small amounts of chock poo on the other 2/3 (different section) see how it goes.

• Like 1

hahaha i wish i could tell u how to teleport big piles of shit at once...  its not the funnest job but definitely the most rewarding, @Inyan thats pretty interesting regarding the fish guts, ive heard of sheeps liver in a hole where u r going to plant passionfruit as a source of iron but never tested it, i never have a problem with nitrogen being leached out of the soil because i dont till the chips in, they just sit on top :) 

Honestly the trailer of poo was a dream, the rocks i put around the retaining wall and path THAT was a BITCH.

• Like 1

Well all i can say is i wish i had of done this from the beginning i should have done a before and after photo.

Only 2 weeks in i had some lettuce in a pot hadn't grown for ages was just small and standing still using chemical fert, 2 weeks after hitting it with the chook poo DAM there 3 times bigger massive growth in just 2 weeks.

Passion fruit vines have come alive as well, have a few buckets of chook poo brew going can't wait to see how the rest of the garden goes!

2nd trailer load of hpoo under a tarp as it was a bit fresher this time.

Edited by od101010
  • Like 2

Here's what I'm doing to the property I just bought.  It is covered in trees, mostly cedar elms and hack berry but I do have a few pecan trees.  I'm cutting down the hack berry trees because they have the tendency of falling over without much warning. Green and thriving one day fallen over the next.  Plus I need the space for the veggies, fruit tree, cactus, and other medicinal plants/trees. I've been piling up the trees to burn(hopefully saturday) I'm not goin to burn them all the way to ash that way I have plenty of charcoal to till into the soil along with some ash.  I fish a lot and the harbor has fish cleaning stations so I'm going to start tilling in fish scraps.  My mom has horses and a few buddies have cows so i can get all the poo I could possibly ever need. I'll be composting all the leafs that drop this fall as well. The soil is already pretty darn fertile being close to the river but in hoping it will be supercharged by the time I am finished amending it.  I plan on building up and tilling in a bunch of coarse sand, perlite, and small rocks for all my cactus that will border the property lines so I have some good drainage(we get a lot of rain on the mid Texas coast).  Do yall think these plans are good? What would you do different? Love me some home grown veggies. This year my dad has tomato plants that were 8ft+ tall in his organic garden.  He loves his tomatoes.

A soil test is always a good idea before you add any amendments.

Charcoal/biochar works best when it's "charged" before adding it to the soil. It can have a negative effect if it's not charged because it absorbs & adsorbs nutrients when it's fresh.

I'd mix it into the compost heap/s while it's composting and load it up with nutrients and microbes & fungi first and then mix that along with any amendments recommended on the soil test into the soil.

Edited by Sallubrious

Burned some piles today. I dunno how much charcoal I have but it is a lot and still have over 20 trees to cut and burn.  Excited to get this garden going next spring. It'll be about .25 acres in 2018 and hoping to expand from there each year.  

Poo update, i forgot until i when to dig in to plant my raspberries that the fkn camphor laurel roots from next door are all through the yard i don't know 
how i forgot as the leaves are ever where to so after this season i'll do raised beds as the roots will prob be all through this poo before to long.

I know radish grows well any way but these are looking real nice.
Red lettuce going well (not my thing but my rabbit loves it) some green butter crunch just started.
Made some kale chips the other day.
Blue hopi corn going well mixed with some carrots seedlings popping up and radish in one corner and spring onions (not going off yet) in the other.

IMG_2689.JPG

IMG_2690.JPG

IMG_2691.JPG

IMG_2689.thumb.JPG.1d24089d30466840bd8e22cce03710f8.JPG

IMG_2690.thumb.JPG.042fe6da3273288dc5ed1f4418891106.JPG

IMG_2691.thumb.JPG.41821eb3fb89f10511baa52c8b76088e.JPG

IMG_2689.thumb.JPG.1d24089d30466840bd8e22cce03710f8.JPG

IMG_2690.thumb.JPG.042fe6da3273288dc5ed1f4418891106.JPG

IMG_2691.thumb.JPG.41821eb3fb89f10511baa52c8b76088e.JPG

• Like 1

Don't forget worm farming for ferts and amendment , i have just started to get into it and it seems a good investment. use this. imageproxy.php?img=&key=ed93ee4b8a158835imageproxy.php?img=&key=ed93ee4b8a1588352004-06-08_09_28_48.thumb.jpg.dc5f4e010f477a741ab650569bead856.jpg

to turn this 2004-06-08_09_27_49.thumb.jpg.76bb812965f56c6fcd407421c43ff6ee.jpg

into this2004-06-08_09_27_30.thumb.jpg.7b836b685e35f6cdbb266886481696d9.jpg

and this 2004-06-08_09_28_24.thumb.jpg.dac335ad38ef6102b29a446245ae0bb8.jpg

2004-06-08_09_28_48.thumb.jpg.dc5f4e010f477a741ab650569bead856.jpg

2004-06-08_09_27_49.thumb.jpg.76bb812965f56c6fcd407421c43ff6ee.jpg

2004-06-08_09_27_30.thumb.jpg.7b836b685e35f6cdbb266886481696d9.jpg

2004-06-08_09_28_24.thumb.jpg.dac335ad38ef6102b29a446245ae0bb8.jpg

2004-06-08_09_28_48.thumb.jpg.dc5f4e010f477a741ab650569bead856.jpg

2004-06-08_09_27_49.thumb.jpg.76bb812965f56c6fcd407421c43ff6ee.jpg

2004-06-08_09_27_30.thumb.jpg.7b836b685e35f6cdbb266886481696d9.jpg

2004-06-08_09_28_24.thumb.jpg.dac335ad38ef6102b29a446245ae0bb8.jpg

Yeah... I made the mistake of filling a garden bed with $4 bags of soil from bunnings... Not such a great idea.

Thankfully now i have organic matter decomposing in it as well as some mycelium growth. 

I found a lady who runs a Riding school who is more than happy to give me horse manure too which is exciting.

All in all you can make chit soil pretty groovy if you try hard enough

• Like 1