The Corroboree
Drildo

Tryptophan, is there differences?

Hello fellow SABers & myco enthusiasts.
I was wondering, If a mate of mine wanted to start adding Tryptophan to substrates, would a product aimed toward horses be no worse than a product aimed toward humans?
Here is the equine product: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Tryptophan-Powder-for-Horses-1KG-/301917770249?epid=714386116&hash=item464bb39209:g:BHIAAOSwZ8ZXANRt
Here is the human product: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/L-Tryptophan-Powder-908g-sleep-aid-weight-loss-FREE-WORLD-SHIPPING/152447930547?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

I've read that L-Tryptophan is the stuff that is needed, and that maybe it comes in two isomers (L & D).
I'm wondering if that horse Tryptophan (even though it doesn't have L- in front of it) is it the same, or just as effective as the L-tryptophan from the other link?    Dosage seems to be in similar range for horses as humans.

Also while I'm on the topic, does anyone know of any good places they recommend for pharmaceutical grade L-Tryptophan?    $80ish a kg seems to be around the best we've seen.

• Like 2

If it doesn't specify then it is probably racemic (i.e. a mix of both isomers) - you might be able to get a definite answer from the vendor? But if you can't, maybe take that into account when looking at price: that the unspecified one might be only 50% the isomer you want.

• Like 2

^Thanks Anodyne appreciate that. Literature only states the use of L-tryptophan, so we will avoid any unknown or mixed batches I'm thinking, and just aim for the tried and true L-isomer. Cheers for that piece of info.

The human stuff contains 1% Taurine, it must be like a bodybuilding supplement
Taurine is also in drinks like Redbull, I think I've even heard that it may be extracted from bulls testicles, but this could just be an urban myth...
I don't imagine that the 1% would cause noticeable problems anyway, what do you think?

There are some circumstances where having the unwanted mirror isomer present can fuck with your desired reaction - I don't think this particular pathway is one of those where it should be a big issue, but yeah, if it's easy to buy just the L isomer then there's no reason to risk the horsefeed.

Unlikely that the taurine would interfere in the same kind of way - I wouldn't worry about it. I think they add it because of studies which show that it can help to reduce neurotoxicity from tryptophan OD (link).

• Like 3

It was first identified from bull semen (Taurine) @Skellum, but its lab made for a heap of products now

So yep, no need to think about a set of bulls hangers when knocking back a redbull

• Like 2

15 hours ago, waterboy 2.0 said:

So yep, no need to think about a set of bulls hangers when knocking back a redbull

I won't be able to help it now. Every time I see someone drinking a redbull I'll think of them drinking bull cum.

• Like 2

Synthesizing bull load to put into our sugary drinks??  Hmmm,  si taurina  :drool2: