The Corroboree

Hi Folks,

We are pleased to announce the inaugural launch of the Australian Psychedelic Society-Sydney :) 

As way of introducing ourselves and gathering community, we will be screening the film 'Dying to Know: Ram Dass & Timothy Leary' an intimate portrait celebrating the complex, controversial characters and epic friendship between Harvard psychology professors Timothy Leary and Richard Alpert as they probed the edges of consciousness and shaped a generation through their experiments with psychedelics.

This is an exciting opportunity to see a great film about critical figures in psychedelic history, to meet members of the Sydney APS and to engage in discussion about building and supporting community, critical issues and future events.

Tickets: $7.00 with booking fee ($1.31) so $8.31 total - purchase from Eventbrite link below

Where: 107 Projects, Redfern, Redfern street, Sydney, NSW.

When 12:30 Sunday 9th July 2017

https://www.eventbrite.com.au/e/dying-to-know-ram-dass-timothy-leary-tickets-35505532002

Australian Psychedelic Society-Sydney Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/219138845245639/

Please come and check it out and spread the word.

Edited by Flux
  • Like 5

From the booking page:

This is a drug and alchohol free event.

:lol:

• Like 2

Spewing i would love to go but stuck over here on the other side of the sand pit in perth :wacko:

It's well worth supporting your local Australian Psychedelic Society chapter, good work Sydney Crew ;-)

I recommend this to all SAB peeps in the area.

Great stuff Flux,

Another beaut way we can get out from behind our computers, and play around in real life.

I can see myself becoming an upstanding member of The New South Wales Psychedelic Society.

Having Cactus shots and Candyflippin in the Private Members Lounge. 

Im going to wrangle the weekend off from the farm to attend this historic inaugural event. 

........Im assuming there is an afterparty.

• Like 3

Awesome Horus -great to have you on board, Member's lounges and after parties are yet forthcoming (I'm sure we can make something informal happen though). When there is fundraising to be done, we hope to host a Psychedelic Ball .

Anodyne- unfortunately the 'drug & alcohol free' status is just one of those disclaimers we have to make for the less discerning of our species...also Redfern station can often have a plague of sniffers dogs, but we'll keep an eye on the Sniff-Off' page on the day and post anything relevant. 

87_Botanist, a Perth society has been established check their Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/groups/868814189936614/

• Like 2

Lol, I know 107, Flux - I wasn't fretting. Even disregarding any disclaimers, I was assuming a fairly chilled vibe for a lunchtime Sunday event. But yes, dogs at Redfern are a real thing - I work nearby & think I saw them there twice last week.

How does this space-hiring at 107 work? Can we lurk about in their public bar /lounge after the film - or should we come up with another place to kick on to?

Glad to see stuff like this getting organised, cheers to everyone who made this happen!

Edited by Anodyne
  • Like 1

I'm not that familiar with 107 but the outdoor space on the rooftop garden is very chill.  I don't think the bar there is even open outside of events that have requested it - which we haven't, but plenty of good taverns in Redfern.

After the film we are going to have a discussion about the future of the APS, how people can get involved, etc...but we have the place till 4:00pm.

It was a pretty easy process hiring the venue...we went and checked it out and it looked very groovy with all the A/V gear we needed, and the rest is done through an online hire application. 

• Like 1

Just bought a ticket for my Chauffeur, I mean devoted daughter.

4 tickets left, looks like being a sellout ...an enthusiastic crowd.

I think I will have journeyed with half the people in the room.

Its going to be a hug fest.

If I haven't met you, say hello.

I'll be the old dude on a walking stick with a gorgeous young woman on his arm.

• Like 3

woke up this morning after chatting with freakazoid last night and thought "what the hell" even though I don't feel too sparky I should really get along to this.  not a moment too soon.  just bought the last ticket! :) See y'all Sunday.

• Like 1

Walked past the George Hotel (760 Elizabeth St, Waterloo) the other day and saw a sign outside: "Bluegrass Sundays 4-7pm, second Sunday of every month, everyone welcome"... so that'd be this Sunday. I've never stepped inside that pub before so I can't make any recommendations, but I'm interested to go check out their free music. It's only ~10min walk from 107 if anyone feels like kickin on afterwards to wash down their psychedelics & spiritualism with some beer & bluegrass. :wink:

Thanks everybody for coming out yesterday.

Hope you all enjoyed the film... I found it a quite insightful look at the lives of Leary & Ram Dass and also the application of psychedelics to the dying process..

It was really great to see such a turn out and look forward to seeing what develops from future meetings.

Building the email list at the moment, so anyone that would like to get APS Sydney mail outs feel free to drop your contacts here or message me here.

cheers,

Flux

• Like 2