The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Amazonian

Medical cannabis research internship

Just saw this on Indeed job site. It's unpaid and only for 3 months, (potential for paid position in the future) Might suit someone here?! 

Medical Cannabis Research Intern

BuddingTech - Melbourne VIC

Internship

BuddingTech is a medical cannabis tech and innovation company helping bring to market innovative solutions focused on addressing key challenges across the supply chain.

We are quickly growing, and are seeking an enthusiastic individual for an unpaid internship over a 3 month period, based either in Melbourne, Sydney or the Northern Rivers (NSW). Working with a small and experienced team, you'll get exposure to a startup, and to the medical cannabis industry in Australia.

Initially, responsibilities will be limited to research and administration, however there is great capacity the position to grow into fields such as operations and logistics, business development, digital marketing, graphic design and more.

You will do most of your work from home, and the time requested is flexible. There may also be potential for a paid position in the future.

Please send your CV and a brief cover letter through to the email provided.

Job Type: Internship

2 days ago (listed prox 14/5/17

• Like 3

Not to be a downer, but it's always worth checking the details of unpaid internships and what exactly they involve. Strictly speaking, unpaid internship is not employment, it's work experience. So, unpaid interns should be the main beneficiaries of such an arrangement: 

• the person must not be doing “productive” work 
  • the main benefit of the arrangement should be to the person doing the placement, and 
  • it must be clear that the person is receiving a meaningful learning experience, training or skill development. 

More: https://www.fairwork.gov.au/how-we-will-help/templates-and-guides/fact-sheets/unpaid-work/unpaid-work and https://theconversation.com/are-unpaid-internships-unlawful-60197 

This might well be a good opportunity, but that ad already stretches the definition of internship a bit. If you do go for this, ask serious questions about what they expect of you, and try to figure out if it's a genuine internship and they are just a bit confused about the legal definition, or if they are looking for a way to get someone to work for them for nothing.

If nothing else, someone needs to tell these guys to re-work that ad. Because as it stands, if that's an accurate portrayal of the situation, it looks a bit like other cases where the Fair Work Ombudsman has taken companies to court (and won). 

• Like 5

Yeah not sure how it would go down with Centrelink, lol .

Anyway, I thought it looked interesting :) 

• Like 1

Excellent response Yeti101 - I almost want you to go apply for the job in a mock interview and just smoke them man, with these very legitimate points you bring up here.

I really wanted to apply for it but now you've got me thinking twice. I'm in NSW too - If I were in Vic there'd be no question of applying.

If your doing slave labor for free you'd just ring up every governing body (fair work ombudsman, feds/state police, fkn immigration) to come knock on their doors if they were in ANYWAY not above board.

Maybe they let you pocket some Maui wowie.  Just sayin

• Like 1

Good points yeti...lol...beat me to it. That "scope" for an internship sets off the bells and whistles..

It appears to be a start up by a "savvy" lad....lol...their webpage concerns the shit out of me ( I live with a wordsmith:wink:), but I wont go into it....http://www.buddingtech.com/

bit more intel for anyone interested

https://au.linkedin.com/in/adamimiller

Edit - and yes in the past poor interns...lol...have had to put up with me:lol:

Edited by waterboy 2.0
  • Like 1

Look, it might be Ok - the dude clearly knows how to play the LinkedIn game, and he has been involved in a number of startups (though I suspect most of them have been mothballed or imploded). If people want to give this a go, that's their lookout, but they should go to it with their eyes open. 

• Like 1