The Corroboree
Kenjo

Fresh Spirulina starter culture

Hi Folks

Does anyone cultivate Spirulina platensis or know someone that does.  I am keen to get hold of about 50 - 100 mls to start my own culture.  I would be willing to pay for it.

Hey Kenjo, I've been looking into this myself for some years now, these guys sell live cultures of Arthrospira Platensis http://www.algaelab.org/shop/algaelab-live-spirulina-with-no-fail-guarantee-copy/ I bought Aaron's book ages back, really good guide on how to grow, they also supply minerals/ chelates but a lot of the stuff you need you can find pretty cheap elsewhere. If your interested in going halves in a bottle flick me a pm

Thanks for getting back to me on this Martyh64.  Me too.  I have also looked into Algaelab and other off-shore options and contacted a few. The thing is, while the organism can last a couple of weeks in transit there is a good chance our customs grab on the way through.  You can't import live culture without jumping through a whole lot of hoops ... and lots of money of course.  I have given it a shot though and ordered some culture from two different outfits just the other day.  If it gets through and once I scale it up I will let you know.  You can also buy a sample from CSIRO - cost 200-300 bucks though + a restrictive material transfer agreement.  Idiots!!! - this stuff should be handed out at the local council as a health initiative.  

Oh damn, that sucks. Well fingers crossed something comes through for you, ill keep an ear out for any other sources. I'm not surprised about the hoop jumping though - the government/ councils don't give a toss about public health, they've proven this in every way they can. If you don't have any luck and decide to go through CSIRO let me know and perhaps we can split the costs, always good to see other people out there interested in taking their health into their own hands.

I am kind of determined to make this work.  I am negotiating with Murdoch University to get a culture from them.  The negotiation because they have a restrictive material transfer agreement which does not allow me to share.  I am keeping CSIRO in the back of my mind but again they have that restriction to share and my project is all about making it available to whoever wants to grow it.  There is also this guy on ebay - http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Grow-Live-living-Spirulina-Super-Food-Culture-ALIVE-Growing-4-Better-Health-/222510837218?hash=item33ceadede2:g:of0AAOSwImRYMXe8 But the wheels fall off when I try to buy.  I have contacted him - lets see.

Anyway, be great if you could keep your eyes open for any other sources.  I will let you know how I get on.

• Like 1

Hey,  I just successfully placed and order with ebay for a live culture - the seller http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Grow-Live-living-Spirulina-Super-Food-Culture-ALIVE-Growing-4-Better-Health-/222510837218?hash=item33ceadede2:g:of0AAOSwImRYMXe8  does have live culture and is selling it.  The problem I was having was on my end. So all good.  25 bucks.  I will let you know how I get on.

• Like 1

Yes it did finally arrive.  But he only sent like 2 ml and as I was growing it up I stressed it a couple of time and it went into the straight form - or it was stressed from the start. The guy also doesn't put much out there and wouldn't send me another batch.   But did manage to get a batch in from Israel and some from Murdoch Uni after having to jump through a bunch of hoops.  Anyway, I have a batch growing up at the moment. Check out the photo.  It is crazy it is not more freely available - it is such an amazingly to grow for your health.  So I am going to put it up on ebay - along with a starter nutrients.  I will send you a link when I do that.

Spirulina1.jpg

Spirulina1.thumb.jpg.3e9aa5f7163f1eff893cddffa5ff6dd8.jpg

Spirulina1.thumb.jpg.3e9aa5f7163f1eff893cddffa5ff6dd8.jpg

• Like 1

Awesome! nice setup :) looks like your probably the first in WA to have your own culture growing! I'm definitely keen to grab one when you put them up, im also a sandgroper so could pick one up when their available, I've got a tank plan I drew up years ago that I need to get cracking on, how much will you be selling starting culture + nutrients for?

Hi Marty - cool your in Perth. Since you are a fellow sandgroper and you would be picking up I reckon I can swing you a deal.  Online I will be selling 50mls + 2lt starter nutrient for around 49 bucks (includes shipping)  I will give you 600ml of the culture + enough media to get you up to 20lt for $60 - I can also give you some pointers.

• Like 1