The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
amoebarising

When to stop watering Lophs in Brisbane?

Hola!

Just curious as to when the best time to stop my watering regime when it comes to Lophs in Brisbane. Anyone who lives here knows the 2016-17 summer was a long drawn out one and the daytime temps are still in the high 20s half way into Autumn. Any help would be awesome. Don't want my babies dying from over watering. Or at all.

As long as the soil is good at draining and holding minimal water you should be fine. Although my experience is from further north, the only loph I've had got watered everyday and it never even looked like it would die (except when a caterpillar had a feast on it... but it grew back within a year.)

• Like 1

It will depend on what your plants are used to and what soil they live in, but generally speaking brissy is fine atm for watering those plants.

It should be safe for a while longer with warm temps and low humidity.

I have just watered all my (similar) plants that only get controlled waterings but i dont think i will again until spring.

Just keep an eye on the weather and keep them dry if we are in for cooler weather, substrate should be dry again after a few days, if thats not gonna happen leave it. 

Still more growth to be had in brissy 

• Like 2

@amoebarising Are they on own roots or grafted? That will change the watering cycles significantly....

I think that maybe Zedo got lucky with his plant and watering everyday, unless they are only seedlings up to around 2 years old.... But even then, i definitely would not water everyday...

• Like 2

i use the rule of, if its not t shirt weather by about 9am then its time to stop watering

• Like 5

i use the rule of, if its not t shirt weather by about 9am then its time to stop watering

pffffffttttt, we all know you don't wear clothes in the garden

• Like 3

On 17/04/2017 at 6:22 PM, Zedo said:

As long as the soil is good at draining and holding minimal water you should be fine. Although my experience is from further north, the only loph I've had got watered everyday and it never even looked like it would die (except when a caterpillar had a feast on it... but it grew back within a year.)

So sorry for taking forever to get back to you all. For some reason I didn't get notifications. I do appreciate it!  Thank you!

On 18/04/2017 at 10:09 AM, doublebenno said:

It will depend on what your plants are used to and what soil they live in, but generally speaking brissy is fine atm for watering those plants.

It should be safe for a while longer with warm temps and low humidity.

I have just watered all my (similar) plants that only get controlled waterings but i dont think i will again until spring.

Just keep an eye on the weather and keep them dry if we are in for cooler weather, substrate should be dry again after a few days, if thats not gonna happen leave it. 

Still more growth to be had in brissy 

Cheers, I was hoping to hear that there was more growing time!

On 18/04/2017 at 0:55 PM, MountainGoat said:

@amoebarising Are they on own roots or grafted? That will change the watering cycles significantly....

I think that maybe Zedo got lucky with his plant and watering everyday, unless they are only seedlings up to around 2 years old.... But even then, i definitely would not water everyday...

I grew these from seed, so roots. They are my first lot so I want to be extra careful.

• Like 1

On 19/04/2017 at 6:34 AM, El Presidente Hillbillios said:

Hahaha! This won't work for me as I'm in a t-shirt and shorts combo for 11 months of the year.

if you want to be extra careful, stop watering now and start again when it spring. I haven't watered mine for a month, might give them a water this weekend.... and I live well north of you....

• Like 2