The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
bergerac

Putting colonised jars on hold

Hi guys

My first attempt at growing some edibles has gone a lot better than expected and my jars appear to be fully colonised. Unfortunately I have to take an unexpected trip and I wont be able to fruit them for around two weeks. I was wondering if it is possible to put them on hold by storing them in the fridge without fear of contamination and re-activate them when I get back?

Thanks for you help

Putting colonised jars in the fridge is fine. They last for months in the fridge but make sure that your fridge isn't so cold that it freezes the mycelium. 

Storing colonised jars in the fridge can save you time too because you can set aside a day to prepare and inoculate lots of jars, refrigerate the colonised jars you don't need immediately and then take them out of the fridge when you need them. It sure beats having to set aside more days in the future to cleaning your work area, soaking, simmering and sterilising your grain and everything else you normally need to do.

Please excuse any writing mistakes. Recovering from a migraine. 

• Like 2

thanks! definitely a better way to do it to get a more constant harvest. Ive put them on the top shelf towards the front with the fridge set to 5C so hopefully that shouldn't be too cold

Noice. I wrapped mine in foil or plastic wrap when I left them in the fridge because fridges can have mouldy food and other contaminants and I don't want things spilling or dripping on or into my jars. 

I put mine into zip lock bags while in the fridge, so that they won't dry out.

• Like 1