The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
omnilucident

Too late to plant cuttings?

I bought 8m of pachanoi and have cut it up into 30-40cm chunks which are well calloused. Is it too late in summer/autumn to pot and plant these in Perth? Concerned about rot...

I'm very new to this.

as long as you out then in a well draining mix they should be fine. Things go nuts this time of year, still warm and heaps of rain ;)

• Like 1

I know a guy who has planted a couple hundred cactus cuttings over the years and he keeps the pots under a fibreglass cover for the first couple months with no water at all. The first water they ever get is 1 - 2 months after the cuts are potted (depending on season and weather etc). Never gets problems with rot and don't worry, cuts will never dry up with this method. I think cuts can go for more than a year without water.

Some people even hang them in a sock-on-a-nail, in a bright dry place for a couple months with no water at all, and roots just start developing and hang down in the air ready to be potted.

Lettuce know how you go with it :)

Edited by Halcyon Daze

That sounds ideal halcyon, but as long as you have well draining soil, and well caloused cuts, you should be fine outdoors. even if they don't root before winter kicks they will survive until spring if well caloused. im still planting out cuttings in pots this time of year in the full weather. im in vic central goldfields, I think halcyon is in qld, so different strokes for different follks.

• Like 1

Yeah I agree, I should also say that it is really good to try a few different methods simultaneously. You will get pro fast if you do. You learn more from things going wrong than things going right.

• Like 2

If indeed well calloused, its a great idea.  Mine are growing pretty happily at the moment.  maybe just be careful of having any hollows in the top of the midsections to avoid pockets that water can sit in.  Happy planting!

Still nice weather in Perth at the moment