The Corroboree
Drildo

Will Trichos Grow Here?

Hey guys n' gals,

I'm new to the forums & wondering if anyone in a similar climate has had success with Trichos this close to the ocean?

I've just recently moved down the South Coast, NSW and am interested in purchasing some cuttings for the garden. I'm just wondering how well Trichs will survive and tolerate the harsh ocean winds + salt spray?

We literally have to wash the house windows twice a week here. The car's getting rooted and my computer is rusting rapidly. Wouldn't trade it for the world though - this place is healing beyond belief.

WP_20170220_13_23_10_Pro.jpg

The spot I'd eventually want them in the ground is probably less than 60m from open ocean with little protection from a east, south/easterly winds. Soil is average too, high amounts of sticky orange red clay in the Shoalhaven & Illawarra. I should be able to improve the soil with time though. I'd be leaving them in their pots sitting on these gold pebbles for a year or so to acclimatize until planting them in the ground in the same spot.

WP_20170302_09_43_53_Pro.jpg

Will I have any luck here do you guys think, or should I be putting them in the front yard (road side) where its more protected from the ocean/wind, but less sunny?

WP_20170220_13_23_10_Pro.thumb.jpg.a3bf8691f1144f22f117aff1b1cd4a24.jpg

WP_20170302_09_43_53_Pro.thumb.jpg.a3b60b37ea6f92e87c6e20dabb1553c8.jpg

WP_20170220_13_23_10_Pro.thumb.jpg.a3bf8691f1144f22f117aff1b1cd4a24.jpg

WP_20170302_09_43_53_Pro.thumb.jpg.a3b60b37ea6f92e87c6e20dabb1553c8.jpg

• Like 3

Hey bud, I'm pretty sure they'll do fine. The salty winds might give them a battering but trichos are tough. I'd amend the soil a bit in the holes and watch out for drainage if there's clay underneath as the water might pool around the roots.

• Like 2

Awesome place by the way skellum. I see a lot of cereus planted basically right on the shoreline near where I am a little further up the coast, with very similar geology and they do fine, so I would expect trichos to also cope reasonable well.

• Like 1

Damn , that is a nice place skellum .

• Like 1

PM me your address if ya like, ill send ya a fat foot tip of Psycho0 to start ya off.

Its a super fast grower so its probably a good tester to see how it handles the salt. 

• Like 5

Awesome place by the way skellum.

Damn , that is a nice place skellum .

Thanks heaps fellas, I'll tell the old man you approve :P

He bought it as a vacant block when he was 19 y/o - 35 years ago for nicks.

Worth a fortune now, our generation will never see investments like that. He lived in an easier time I reckon...

PM me your address if ya like, ill send ya a fat foot tip of Psycho0 to start ya off.

Its a super fast grower so its probably a good tester to see how it handles the salt.

Change, your an absolute gentleman. Thank you so very much mate, beyond belief!

Its like a sign from the gods, I actually just hit up Ambient earlier this morning for his last available Psycho0. I wonder if he will be able to post from WA to NSW? I'm yet to hear back from him.

Nice one guys, I'm excited.  :)

• Like 1

Agreed. Nice view. I reckon they'd grow there, but do you notice any areas of the yard that plants don't grow? Or don't grow very well? I wonder how much salt you have in the soil and whether this would effect cacti negitivly. Either way give it a go.

• Like 1

Well everything grows Zedo, just heaps slower it seems. I'm used to my mums garden on the Midnorth Coast, shes bout an hour south of Coffs Harbour. Everything grows so quickly! Heaps of different tropical plants. Her staghorns and elkhorns just go bonkers. They actually sprout up on neighboring tree's from spores in the breeze. Where as our Staghorn is really stalled. I think I've gotta gear my garden toward natives that grow normally around this area. We've got some baby grass tree's recently planted - There is a particular road close by in Conjola National Park called "Grass Tree Road"... There's like 8ft fkn blackboys along the side of the track, so many of them too its RIDICULOUS. I'll get photo's next time I'm in there.

Anyway from what people are saying trichs are pretty resilient, so I'm going to source some plants and see how I go over the next 12 months. :)

• Like 2

Sooooo THIS IS WHAT everyone been talking about,

I kept hearing this term 'Fields' popping up over the last couple of months reading about cacti - decided look into this term "fields"... My god what a brilliant, exciting story & amazing collection.

I'm going to go on pilgrimage here one day, I promise myself this.

http://www.sophietphotography.com/personal-1/2015/4/22/d98mmyhb4vnhh7k8dvctnck71gu0tn

• Like 4

I'd be interested to know why Ralph Fields went out sourcing and collecting cacti. He was obviously motivated, makes me wonder where that motivation came from

• Like 2

lol, from what I hear his son is happy to point customers in the right direction, but doesn't know from first hand experience, only what other customers tell him. So if hes that way, I wonder if his dad was the same or had the experience.

Either way, thank fuck there is a 100 year old cactus garden in Aus good on that family man! I love the way he talks about his dad too, he idolizes him Its fkn beautiful.

• Like 1

Hey everyone,

I received a beautiful package from my new best mate Change today. He very generously offered to send me a foot tip cut of Psycho0 to start me off. Naturally, I jumped at the chance... :lol:

Package was at my doorstep at 10am today. Upon opening, I ejaculated slightly:

WP_20170308_12_51_55_Pro.jpgWP_20170308_12_50_30_Pro.jpgWP_20170308_12_50_46_Pro.jpg

Not only was there a beautiful piece of Psycho0, we had a rooted TBM, and a lovely unblemished gorgeous unknown pup (possible bridgesii x peru). :o

Thank you so very much Change. You are a phucking gentleman. :wub:

YOU ARE LEGEND OF ALL LEGENDS!!!!!!!

I'm not here to scab hand outs either guys. Just dropped $200(including postage) on five cuts from another member (Eileen, Bridgesii Longispinus, Rosei1, Rosei2, Peruvianus).

My Tricho garden has begun :). Next things I want to source when I get a bit more spare coin would be some of Sir Jeans beautiful Bridgesii "Jeans". And some of Ambients/anyones Bridgesii "Cliff". Maybe some Yowie too.

Thanks to everyone in private message who were happy to talk cacti and answer a bunch of questions I had. What a brilliant knowledgeable passionate bunch of mongrels - lots of love guys! xoxo

WP_20170308_12_51_55_Pro.thumb.jpg.cb14df172b153f85ab7cab668947c68c.jpg

WP_20170308_12_50_30_Pro.thumb.jpg.c3da5d1230523d9e4d2e0c04515bf3bf.jpg

WP_20170308_12_50_46_Pro.thumb.jpg.0241b00855118a0bc33972ff381fb6f3.jpg

WP_20170308_12_51_55_Pro.thumb.jpg.cb14df172b153f85ab7cab668947c68c.jpg

WP_20170308_12_50_30_Pro.thumb.jpg.c3da5d1230523d9e4d2e0c04515bf3bf.jpg

WP_20170308_12_50_46_Pro.thumb.jpg.0241b00855118a0bc33972ff381fb6f3.jpg

• Like 4

Wow , nice work change. Skellum 

may I warn you now that you have begun cacti collecting , enough cacti is never enough cacti haha 

• Like 1

A beautiful cactus, from a beautiful man. Thanks a million Ambient. Arrived today safe and sound :)

WP_20170314_10_55_41_Pro.jpgWP_20170314_10_55_16_Pro.jpg

96cm "Cliff" was cut and been callousing for 3 months, it's already shooting root nodes.

Lets hope I can avoid etoliation on this lovely piece, he shall be a centerpiece in the garden. Harnessing the power of the ocean, wind, moon, rain & sun.

Fkn stoked. :lol::lol:

WP_20170314_10_55_41_Pro.thumb.jpg.11d48431925b8719d55abe43f9bd485e.jpg

WP_20170314_10_55_16_Pro.thumb.jpg.be8cc3b7e977ea4b203c8bbbdf92101d.jpg

WP_20170314_10_55_41_Pro.thumb.jpg.11d48431925b8719d55abe43f9bd485e.jpg

WP_20170314_10_55_16_Pro.thumb.jpg.be8cc3b7e977ea4b203c8bbbdf92101d.jpg

• Like 2

Its all coming along now my brothers.

WP_20170329_12_38_16_Pro.jpg

15 more paid for & on there way too. Many beautiful clones. Thanks to all who have helped.

I'm loving it :)

WP_20170329_12_38_16_Pro.thumb.jpg.da720146238be25e68b1bc415c0543e9.jpg

WP_20170329_12_38_16_Pro.thumb.jpg.da720146238be25e68b1bc415c0543e9.jpg

• Like 7

Looks like a great spot for cactus... and life in general...

I'd highly recommend getting unsealed terracotta pots for cactus... You'll get much better results and you're less likely to over-wet them as the roots and soil can breathe... 

• Like 1

Thats a good tip MG, although in the past unsealed terracotta pots seem to have maybe sapped the water and the nutes from my soil though? I wasn't growing trichs, just other plants in general.

These plastic pots are simply a temporary home for the next 6-12(?) months or so till everything developes some decent roots, at which point I'll bang everything in the ground. I didn't want to put unrooted cuts straight in the ground cause it gets fkn windy here sometimes... I want them growing well before I transplant them into a spot where they can't be moved you know... Decent roots I imagine would give them stability from the strong winds too.

But once I get some real nice pieces that I want up on the deck close and personal, I will then look at getting some quality deep exotic terracotta pots for a permanent potted home.

Are the cheap plastic pots going to make life uncomfortable for these beautiful cacti during the short term? Or if only for a few months will they be aright?

uncomfortable, no. but they will develop a better root system in terracotta. I use the bunnings terracotta pots, you can get them for $1 sometimes, otherwise they are like $1.5.... i think its worth it...

• Like 1

@Ambient So I took MG's advice in the above post and I repotted the cliff today as I wanted to upgrade to terracotta to improve the root mass development over the next 6 months. Check this shit out, I cant fucking BELIEVE it!!!!

4 weeks ago = WP_20170314_10_55_16_Pro.jpg                          Today = WP_20170413_12_28_18_Pro.jpgWP_20170413_12_28_02_Pro.jpg

I cannot believe the amount of root development in only 4 weeks mate! This thing will be rootbound by the time winter ends. Cliff is a MONSTERRRRR. Hes grown a CM or two as well. This is fantastic!
One question, should I leave any aerial roots that have formed to just dry and fall off. Would removal with a sterile scalpel be advised, or not necessary?

Thx again for an amazing plant Ambient. Cliff will definitely take a centerpiece spot in the garden in the near future.

WP_20170314_10_55_16_Pro.thumb.jpg.419004b77623519fd83337b69d0a6784.jpg

WP_20170413_12_28_18_Pro.thumb.jpg.f0960e78643e17e0c118640fcb32371f.jpg

WP_20170413_12_28_02_Pro.thumb.jpg.208be373ff934ae5d1a88e365c5546c0.jpg

WP_20170314_10_55_16_Pro.thumb.jpg.419004b77623519fd83337b69d0a6784.jpg

WP_20170413_12_28_18_Pro.thumb.jpg.f0960e78643e17e0c118640fcb32371f.jpg

WP_20170413_12_28_02_Pro.thumb.jpg.208be373ff934ae5d1a88e365c5546c0.jpg

• Like 4

Mate the BEST cactus garden I have seen was a street back from the lake and a 5 min drive to the beach in NSW. Good luck homie! :wink:

• Like 1

Glad to see the cut is doing well Skellum :)

Aerial roots will generally terminate on their own, you can remove them if they bother you, I can't see there being much danger from a few tiny well aerated wounds.

Terracotta pots are nice if you can find them cheap and don't intend to move your cacti very often. I used almost exclusively use terracotta pots for the drying and aesthetic value. Now days I'm thinning out my terracotta in favour of terracotta coloured plastic for my display collection, and large cheap second hand black plastic pots for the farm. Plastic can still have the aesthetic look of terracotta (in my opinion at least), weighs exponentially less with increasing pots size, and allows me to buy food at the end of the week... student life ya'll haha. I actually prefer the slower drying of plastic pots for the dry Mediterranean climate I'm within, or maybe I just make my soil mix just too dry. This might not be the case for some eastern states users though. 

Really, type of pot doesn't matter so much when compared to size of pot or lack there of and going straight in to the ground. As long as you have a good well draining soil mix just go for the largest one you can reasonably afford to fill, and bare to look at. I can't remember who it was, maybe someone from here, said they water their tricho's like tomato's and feed them like tomato's and they grow like tomato's. This has more or less been my experience, within the hot sunny dry climate I'm in.

• Like 1

I would love to eventually be able to feed them like tomatoes and watch them grow as quick. My only concern would be an altered or reduced alkaloid profile due to babying them. I hear neglected hard grown is how they make the magic. I also hear regular watering and feeding and plenty of sun is also how they make the magic, to me that seems contradictory(?). Anyway nurturing them is what I plan to do so hopefully I'll see some interesting results in a half decades time.

These aerial roots started out white as they were sprouting now with contact to sunlight the chlorophyll is kicking in and these white aerial roots are turning green lol.
I wonder if an aerial root can ever turn into a pup? or a green aerial root somehow induce pupping in that spot?
They don't really bother me, its good to know I can remove them though if desired.

I heard that terracotta may be better for root development & breath-ability so I've got a bunch of terracotta pots from Bunnings, 21cm, 23cm & 27cm but Cliff and another logged piece are in larger 30cm unique terracotta pots. Seeing how Cliff responded to plastic I probably didn't need to though, but its piece of mind anyway :). These pots are only temporary anyway till were out of winter and well into spring.
I assumed Spring is the time to plant out in the garden, because summers too hot and winter they are dormant?

Edited by Skellum

Ladies and gentleman, I bring you the start of something beautiful:

Taken just over 2 months to put this collection together thank to SAB. Thanks to everyone who have helped. This community is amazing.
Hopefully I'll get a lot of these cacti in the ground after winter & after the landscaping, that's the plan anyway. Really happy with everything  :):):)

• Like 3

The List:

Bridgesii:                                                         Pach, Peru:
Potent Bridge x2                                                                      Wangarrata Pach
Cliff Bridge                                                                               Tipz Macro
Jeans Bridge x2                                                                       Fields Macro
Eileen Bridge                                                                            Fields Pach
Psycho0 Bridge                                                                       Gawler Peru x2
Longispinus Bridge (fields)                                                     Hahn Peru
Bruce Bridge x3                                                                      KK339 Eq Pach
True Blue Bridge                                                                     J3
Anna Bridge                                                                            Yowie x2
Kai Bridge                                                                                Sausage
Crazy Spine Bridge                                                                 Rosei1 x2
Arid Art Bridge                                                                        Rosei2 x2
TBM x8                                                                                    St peters Cuzco x3

Plus some other hybrids pups and unknown pieces

• Like 1