The Corroboree
Zedo

Flat earth debate

19 hours ago, Sallubrious said:

After crunching the numbers it seems like we're going to need a new theory of magnetism to explain the cat/toast device under the newly established paradigm of a flat earth.

hB01A0D1A

ha that's to funny lol, I went to google cat/toast device to see what this clip is from and accidently typed it into the ebay search bar and to my surprise there is results - http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1Pc-Pet-Cat-Cushion-Cartoon-Soft-Small-Pet-Dog-Plush-Bread-Toast-Bed-Mat-Seat-/162531747151?hash=item25d7a5a54f:g:FYMAAOSwuMZZJoLe  What a world lol.

when I typed it into google a youtube clip came up and thought this comment below it is pretty funny- This is fake! I tried to do this at home and it never worked!!!. Wasted a lot of toasts and cats! 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Sallubrious said:

After crunching the numbers it seems like we're going to need a new theory of magnetism to explain the cat/toast device under the newly established paradigm of a flat earth.

hB01A0D1A

ha that's to funny lol, I went to google cat/toast device to see what this clip is from and accidently typed it into the ebay search bar and to my surprise there is results - http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1Pc-Pet-Cat-Cushion-Cartoon-Soft-Small-Pet-Dog-Plush-Bread-Toast-Bed-Mat-Seat-/162531747151?hash=item25d7a5a54f:g:FYMAAOSwuMZZJoLe  What a world lol.

when I typed it into google a youtube clip came up and thought this comment below it is pretty funny- This is fake! I tried to do this at home and it never worked!!!. Wasted a lot of toasts and cats! 

Edited by bardo
my computer stuffing up and can't get rid of this double post

This video inspired me to a new concept

Simple but effective..just reverse things

Put the cat on the bread

The thighs..they hold the best meat (apart from head meat but this goes for anything and should be common knowledge)

• Like 2

Flat earth billboards going up and people doing their own independent research.

This is great even if the flat earth theory gets proven wrong this level of critical thinking and questioning of what's around us is great I can't see any negatives here.

What's everybody's take on that batshit thing called gravity. I beleive we have density and buoyancy at play here. 

49 minutes ago, siks3 said:

Flat earth billboards going up and people doing their own independent research.

This is great even if the flat earth theory gets proven wrong this level of critical thinking and questioning of what's around us is great I can't see any negatives here.

The negatives are that almost no one actually knows how to research stuff, so their "independent research" consists of watching Youtube videos. And then they complain that scientists don't take them seriously. No, we don't take you seriously. Not because there is some conspiracy, but because you have no real evidence to prove your point - you haven't done any work to establish it. Do you know how long it took scientists to get people to believe the earth was round? Fucking centuries.

So flat-earthers, I'll propose a deal: you put your money where your mouth is, and get some of your own satellites into space (so you can see what shape it is without having to worry about the gubmint tampering with your images), and put in just a fraction of the work that the "spherical-earthers" did in their day, and then I'll start listening to what you have to say. I don't blindly believe anything which has a "science" stamp on it - that's not what science is about at all, and if you read the threads where we are discussing scientific papers I can be harshly critical. But I have too much respect for the work others have done to ignore it all because someone doesn't want to believe in optical illusions. The whole thing just reeks of ego - "this is what my eyes tell me, and I cannot be wrong!"

If you want a cause where the science probably really does need to be updated, try gut flora. There is increasing evidence that gut flora have a significant effect on your mental health & a wide range of diseases, especially autoimmune ones. This is a field where more attention, and pushing for more government funding, could actually give us some answers which will improve the quality of life for millions (or billions) of people. So if you really need a "science is wrong" campaign in your life, why not choose one that might actually help people?

42 minutes ago, Anodyne said:

If you want a cause where the science probably really does need to be updated, try gut flora.

A very good point, Anodyne. When it comes to individual and collective health, my opinion is it becomes very difficult to find anything which should be considered more important as far as research and funding go. But while it's unfortunate many things which I consider less relevant have displaced the relative importance of our health, thankfully the contention between flat earth and global earth is not one of them.

"CRITICAL THINKING"......lol

• Like 3

4 hours ago, siks3 said:

What's everybody's take on that batshit thing called gravity. I beleive we have density and buoyancy at play here. 

the way i understand it, we are able to usefully calculate gravity as a product of mass or inertia.  for instance, how to launch into orbit or land from it, and how to fling stuff around the solar system to visit other planets and moons.  this is quite an achievement, really, but even in that limited scope there are little problems.  craft found to be slightly off-course unexpectedly, and objects found to have unexpected mass.  the latter might argue for a revision of what the objects structure and composition is

while we've been very successful navigating probes around the solar system, notwithstanding some minor unexpected course adjustments, the same calculations have been applied much more broadly to make sense of our galaxy, and the entire known universe.  now the problem seems to be amplified because the rotation of our galaxy as observed doesn't match what was predicted, despite our model being quite effective at flinging probes around.  some say we fixed this by inserting missing evidence into the equation.  we vastly increase the amount of mass in the galaxy beyond the estimates (which are based on observations), and now the model spits out a prediction that matches the observation of galactic rotation.  phew!  and of course there is work being done on larger scales still.  since those times, we have built better telescopes and have actually found more legitimate sources of mass, but not enough to do away with "dark matter".  while some were building better telescopes to make useful observations, others wanted to discover how to observe dark matter, and with great investment of time and money have so far been unsuccessful.  

i think there are undeniable problems in our model which nonetheless has proven very useful, and yes, i believe scientists are behaving deceitfully, but not in the way you suggest.  they are merely protecting their theories, reputations and income streams.

• Like 2

looky what i found!  i heard a track from this artist with the unmistakable voice of dave talbot talking about saturn.  cant find that one but this is better anyway

a decade-long mission around saturn is coming to an end and one just began around jupiter.  data is piling in.

you really have to give kudos to NASA if for no other reason than the tremendous amount of data that they have gathered.  i think their mission scientists are typically deluded in their interpretation of said data but sending those craft to alien worlds and beyond the sun's reach, monitoring the earth and sun from up high, making tremendous discoveries at the very distant and seemingly boring pluto... in this respect their work has been INCREDIBLE.

special mention to ESA for their rosetta mission!  complete with deluded interpretations (but thats just my interpretation). 

it is my assessment that electricity in space can't be swept under the rug much longer.  when science lets go of it's fearful grip on untenable assumptions, when the paradigm shift warms up and the floodgates open, there might be a wave of discovery even just running the same types of missions again (sending probes around the solar system) thanks to a better sense of direction and a better idea of what to look for, what to expect, and how to interpret the findings.  for example, the rosetta mission suffered from the obviously false and dated assumption that comets are icy.  they engineered some harpoons or something for the philae lander to grasp onto a space snowball and so when it struck hard rock it bounced something like nine miles and was barely salvageable after coming to rest in partial shadow.  eventually it came time to use the final remaining power to drill into the surface for analysis, but the drill was unable to make a scratch.  perhaps it was improperly anchored for the drill to function to spec, or perhaps the surface was harder than anticipated by mainstream (yet outside the mainstream, a rocky surface had been correctly predicted)

Edited by ThunderIdeal
  • Like 2

Flat earth fit's many agendas

I would rather see improvements in parts of physics that can use it, like gravity and sorts

The fact is though, most scientist don't even understand what they are calculating

Edited by DualWieldRake
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, ThunderIdeal said:

looky what i found!  i heard a track from this artist with the unmistakable voice of dave talbot talking about saturn.  cant find that one but this is better anyway

a decade-long mission around saturn is coming to an end and one just began around jupiter.  data is piling in.

you really have to give kudos to NASA if for no other reason than the tremendous amount of data that they have gathered.  i think their mission scientists are typically deluded in their interpretation of said data but sending those craft to alien worlds and beyond the sun's reach, monitoring the earth and sun from up high, making tremendous discoveries at the very distant and seemingly boring pluto... in this respect their work has been INCREDIBLE.

special mention to ESA for their rosetta mission!  complete with deluded interpretations (but thats just my interpretation). 

it is my assessment that electricity in space can't be swept under the rug much longer.  when science lets go of it's fearful grip on untenable assumptions, when the paradigm shift warms up and the floodgates open, there might be a wave of discovery even just running the same types of missions again (sending probes around the solar system) thanks to a better sense of direction and a better idea of what to look for, what to expect, and how to interpret the findings.  for example, the rosetta mission suffered from the obviously false and dated assumption that comets are icy.  they engineered some harpoons or something for the philae lander to grasp onto a space snowball and so when it struck hard rock it bounced something like nine miles and was barely salvageable after coming to rest in partial shadow.  eventually it came time to use the final remaining power to drill into the surface for analysis, but the drill was unable to make a scratch.  perhaps it was improperly anchored for the drill to function to spec, or perhaps the surface was harder than anticipated by mainstream (yet outside the mainstream, a rocky surface had been correctly predicted)

Awesome clip, T.I. Thanks for sharing. I love your passion for this subject, mate. Much respect. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Insequent said:

Awesome clip, T.I. Thanks for sharing. I love your passion for this subject, mate. Much respect. 

wait...

which subject?

:P

FWIW (i am by no means trying to champion this idea) there is a crazy attempt to explain gravity as an electric effect produced by a distortion of electron orbits... errr a tiny distortion but cumulative so that virtually every atom on the massive object (planet, star) produces a tiny electric dipole.  its pertinent to the thread because it predicts that planets are..... hollow

ok time for bed lol

Edited by ThunderIdeal
  • Like 3

On 16/07/2017 at 5:26 PM, waterboy 2.0 said:

"CRITICAL THINKING"......lol

Yeah yeah, it's all fun & games until one of 'em gets elected :P

• Like 3

22 hours ago, ThunderIdeal said:

wait...

which subject?

:P

Haha.... The subject of space (in this case, anyway :) ), how it (supposedly) works, the work of NASA and ESA etc. Talking with most people, they have no knowledge of this past what they may have paid attention to in primary school. And those who have more than a passing knowledge have either not heard of things like electric gravity or hollow planets (or flat earth theories for that matter), or they have heard of them and won't entertain a discussion because of their faith in the prevailing paradigm.

I love learning about lots of different stuff with no particular intent other than to broaden my knowledge base and have some fun. It's why I enjoy discussions on topics like flat earth. You get the folk who espouse an alternative theory, you get the mainstream believers who express their incredulity (often times getting heatedly passionate) and then you get to pick up tit-bits like what you posted, which may or may not have credence, but which may lead to someone's epiphany relating to something else.

I could prattle on a bit more, mate, but it'll take us further from the thread. I guess I meant I like the way you think, and it don't really matter what the subject is, you add to the dialogue in an intelligent manner because you have more than a passing knowledge. I appreciate that.

• Like 2

Gravity is just an effect of expansion.

Expansion of what you might ask, well expansion of matter.

Since space itself is nothing, it can't expand. So what is expanding...it's matter.

Everything all the way from earth to the sun, and to all other bodies in the skies

Big objects expanding at the same rate push smaller objects through space (simple explanation, theres also density and whatever dynamics already observed)

Edited by DualWieldRake

On 16/07/2017 at 10:25 AM, siks3 said:

What's everybody's take on that batshit thing called gravity. I believe we have density and buoyancy at play here. 

Its just another way for the government to keep the working class down :bong:

• Like 3

Well.. Yeah!  

Assuming there is no unexpected spatial geometry in play, which i mentioned early on as the condition that would make flat earth potentially viable.

Good argument.

Rebuttal?  

Im curious also to hear a rebuttal of the expansion concept of gravity which probably doesn't account for inertial mass but i can't easily do that as a thought experiment.

Edit: actually does it even account for mass?  It would seem that mass would be supplanted by size.

Edited by ThunderIdeal
  • Like 1

On ‎17‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 6:32 PM, DualWieldRake said:

Gravity is just an effect of expansion.

Expansion of what you might ask, well expansion of matter.

Since space itself is nothing, it can't expand. So what is expanding...it's matter.

Everything all the way from earth to the sun, and to all other bodies in the skies

Big objects expanding at the same rate push smaller objects through space (simple explanation, theres also density and whatever dynamics already observed)

What is causing the matter to expand and if it is expanding than does that mean the earth, sun etc. is getting bigger ? and if so would that mean we push each body further apart which maintains size perspective or would it mean that we would become squashed over time ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bardo said:

What is causing the matter to expand

Assuming the model fits observations (which i doubt) then this isn't a reasonable question to ask.  Well, it is, but the lack of an answer should be no more of a dealbreaker than what caused the big bang, what gravity actually is, or in the case of electric universe, what is the source of intergalactic birkeland currents.

Edited by ThunderIdeal
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, bardo said:

What is causing the matter to expand and if it is expanding than does that mean the earth, sun etc. is getting bigger ? and if so would that mean we push each body further apart which maintains size perspective or would it mean that we would become squashed over time ?

Yeah things get bigger. About the distance between objects...i would say it pretty much stays the same. Take for example the sun, it's more or less around the same distance from us for a while already.

Unless we start actively moving away from it the sun just keeps pushing us through space

Edited by DualWieldRake

Doesnt really explain why we orbit :D

I know some people (here, there, anywhere) will disagree with me so much they usually won't even protest, but here's the thing:  i just poked a hole in "gravity because everything is inflating" so you might therefore think "ahhh, not a very respectable idea, easily sunk".  Lets put it in perspective though.  in many cases the most respected explanation for a given phenomenon contains holes.

Why wouldn't expansion explain orbits?

I would guess you see us having an orbit around things at some distance away from 'it', but there is stuff in between just not as dense as the parts we consider matter.

We are in connection with all the bodies, and so we tumble and spin around the bigger sphere

3 hours ago, DualWieldRake said:

Why wouldn't expansion explain orbits?

maybe because you haven't explained it at all.  Just saying "yeah, things get bigger" isn't very helpful to someone who doesn't have any clue what you're talking about

• Like 2