The Corroboree
gartenzwerg

Tussilage farfara coltsfoot - legal status

This is a very tame question.....

But still. From my profile, you can see that I am selling herbs plants (the cool climate ones) and I want that herbs are freely available. I know that I am allowed to sell the coltsoot plant, but I thought you cannot sell the herb as such. I tried to search google for it but I could not make arhyme out of these text (I don't speak legal). There was one astonishing large list with all sorts of plants and poisons mixed up, but nothing which says what not to do with them. I found two online sellers of the dried herb in Australia. (Not that I want to sell dried herbs). Does anyone know the legal status of coltsfoot?

Contains pyrrolizadone alkaloids (deemed hepatotoxic blah,blah after lab forced feeding,,,) , so it probably has the same situation going on as comfrey......

Schedule 10 - not for therapuetic use - SUBSTANCES OF SUCH DANGER TO HEALTH AS TO WARRANT PROHIBITION OF SALE, SUPPLY AND USE. 

(Poisons Standard Feb2017 - https://www.legislation.gov.au/Details/F2017L00057/Download)

As far as poisons go.......the dose makes the poison:wink:

Edited by waterboy 2.0

Thanks! the interesiting thing is that two Aussie companies are selling that herb as a herb. And I had a conversation with a herbalist on the last market and she says that it is legal to sell but probably practicioners only. The studies with the comrey are 1.) dodgy and 2.) half a century old or more!

Thanks! the interesiting thing is that two Aussie companies are selling that herb as a herb. And I had a conversation with a herbalist on the last market and she says that it is legal to sell but probably practicioners only. The studies with the comrey are 1.) dodgy and 2.) half a century old or more!

One study took juvenile rats and injected pure pyrrolizidine alkaloids into the peritoneal cavity and found it caused cancer. I've seen estimates that a 70kg man would have ingest almost 20 000 Comfrey leaves to get a similar dosage.

The dosage makes the poison, sometimes a small amount poison can even be beneficial.

I've eaten Comfrey for almost 30 years (after being diagnosed with cancer) and I'm still here. If it wasn't for that shit I wouldn't be able to walk.

I've also used Coltsfoot to clear up bronchial issues that the GP couldn't deal with.

Scientists base their studies on isolated alkaloids and then journalists take the findings and use their ignorance to twist and distort the findings and extrapolate them to envelope anything similar (there were many newspaper beat ups about herbs causing cancer last century and most were based on misunderstandings and ignorance)

If you read through the link below there's lot's of info about people who have real world experience with long term ingestion of the actual herb and problems are basically non existent.

Safety of Comfrey

Edited by Sallubrious
  • Like 2

PA's are not PA's there are a lot of different PA's. The problem with a lot of the studies is that they used THE WRONG PLANT. With comfrey they did not use the officinalis!! HOw sloppy is that? Often bought herbs do not contain the right plant. It would be a great PHD to reasses comfrey.

the S10 listing states
"TUSSILAGO FARFARA for therapeutic use."

note this bit: "for therapeutic use"

as long as it is not sold for therapeutic use it is not restricted. Ditto for comfrey.

• Like 1