The Corroboree
Drake1337

rhizobium bacterial inoculation (for A. Courtii)

I have read about this a few times. (Only have access to my phone so am unable to locate the search bar on the mobile site.) Anyway l was wondering how some other members inoculate with rhizobia? I have tried looking for specific products l might be able to buy. Some members have said grab some soil from other acacia, would this be acceptable for A Courtii? And if you did inoculate what were your processes for applying? When they are seeds (during soaking)? Or after a soak and mix it in with germination medium? 

I have loads acacia l can pull dirt from. How much of this dirt is used to treat the soil in question?

Also when l search google the only things that come up are studies. I rather cut to the chase and get members processes and methods that have worked for them.

Please and thank you!

Edited by Drake1337
  • Like 1

I'm not too sure but I think I was told every Acacia has it's own specific fave rhizobia and i think there's another life form with a similar name to rhizobia (something like bradyrhizobia?) they make friends with too... but that any acacia's rhizobia is probably better than none.

I think that the same species of rhizobia has been found on several species of acacia

I'm pretty sure I was told that A' phleb and A' alpina share the very same species of rhizobia... 

I dnno if there are the same number of acacial rhizobia as actual acacia species mind....

that would be worth knowing too. 

or any regional variations e.g. [to speculate an imagined possibility] :-

like if one rhizobia doesn't occur on a same species growing at an opposite end of Aus to the first rhizobes ...

or are all rhizobia/bradybunchobia found in every region of Aus?

i got some soil given to me from around phlebo's and it's all I have ...

and kinda have no clue with application but i sprinkled some (a small cloud of dust) on all my 'germinated and planted' seed tubes soil surface after sowing the live germinates... then watered in with HMA filtered (got a HMA filter for aquarium) water

(after the aquarium had used it so with extra goodies from fish shit :) - I could do it fresh from the filter but the main thing was avoiding tap water which kills rhizobia and it's little pals)

I hardly used any so may not have applied it right, so thanks for asking the forum these questions , I could do with finding out myself ,...

oh yeah I forgot to add, I lost the rhizobia soil and seeds for almost a year in all my stuff during a house move... and just found it the other week...

so it might be dead for all I know but I'm using it anyway ...

but hopefully I might've helped add a few colours of clarity to the mind's picture in all I know/remember so far mate

and I guess you could dip the wet, germinated/tail-pooped seeds.sprouts in the soil gathered from an Acacia somewhere , I'll bet that would work...

I tend to remove all the seed casing as early as i can get to it

but this 'round at the Acacias' I've been nicking both ends of the seeds to get the tell-tail root sprout sign prior to complete seed casing removal... 

I reckon that stage when seed coat has just been unzipped and cast aside is possibly gna be the best time for them to meet and greet rhizobials.. with a nice dip into some soil from an acacia , then into the pot/tube, then a very gentle watering in with tap-water-nasties-free water....

Although this time round I also have some very tiny sized seed species which I'm pretty sure are gna be too small to handle for things like seed coat removal... 

they do it in nature so perhaps the seed coat isn't so bad , but perhaps it does actually delay it.

I'll try the noc/soil dip next time I plant out some seeds that sprout 

(been sprouting almost every day it seems for a few days now)

and good luck with the Courtii! I just sprouted 2 of them and waiting on 3 more to tail-poop

and Welcome to the forum Drake1337!!

-thunderhorse

Edited by ☽Ţ ҉ĥϋηϠ₡яღ☯ॐ€ðяئॐ♡Pϟiℓℴϟℴ
belated additions and grammar , sorry pal

Thanks for the detailed and thoughtful reply Thunderhorse. That information is more that l am able to find so far (as its spread out).

I think you might be suprised. What l am learning about all our bacterial, yeast, fungi, mold etc is that they are pretty damn resilient. And they are everywhere, ground and air. Even if they are ground based they will be carried with dust. Then again nothing is sure without an offical look under a microscope?

Your blessed to be growing A. Phleb. I have planned to grow them too, but not without knowledge of methods of inoculaton. I understand they are more hit and miss and mainly because they need Rhiz for the conversion of nitrogen. And probably many more reasons. At least what l have briefly read.

Looking forward for more replies from others!

• Like 1

I hope I get blessed with growing phleb,.. they still haven't tail pooped yet... 

I have a rambling thread i started initially, to keep myself sane through a nasty homeless stint when id finally gotten off the streets and mates couches to a homeless hostel and have something to dream/aspire toward for when I got back on my feet ..

so if you can excuse the ramblings... it might be a useful compendium of sorts , especially the info links

and the vids help encourage the excitement over the genus for me personally... hopefully others too :)

Try Communacacian mate? ,

Comm's phleb seeds look like works of art..., saving those for when totes confident... 

came with the inoc' too :) 

some of the super kindest SABbers helped me get a hold of phlebs and been tryna collect them every chance i find 

since that thread probably..

Yeah l have been speaking to Comm. They have been really busy, though l am in no rush. I wont attempt phlebs for a while, not yet. In the future though l will be working to grow them successfully and obtain main seeds. Try and create a compounding effect.

Thanks for the link to the thread, will check it out soon.

• Like 1

in my experience acacia will form rhizobium/nodes in tubestock without any help, from the air i suppose, come out with big nodes and that delightful rhizobium smell. if your plants are having trouble maybe another issue. soil, for example.

if you are growing indoors, far from any natural setting (or in germany like thunder), maybe innoculation is the way to go.

• Like 1

in my experience acacia will form rhizobium/nodes in tubestock without any help, from the air i suppose, come out with big nodes and that delightful rhizobium smell. if your plants are having trouble maybe another issue. soil, for example.

if you are growing indoors, far from any natural setting (or in germany like thunder), maybe innoculation is the way to go.

Thanks Micro. Yeah l get the feeling this might be the go. Only Phleb seem to need the inoculation or else risk dieing at some point later. Where as A. Courtii seem to have higher success from what l have read about with other members.

• Like 1

sorry thunder all this time i have been labouring under false pretenses!

if it makes you feel better there's almost nothing british that could survive in my garden. for example i always wanted to grow a yew, Taxus baccata, on account of its ethobotanical significance, but the conditions really aren't right.

yeah i have no idea about phlebs Drake. it would surprise me if a phleb wouldn't gather rhizobium on its own but then again it does come from a very particular and restricted habitat. ultimately there's no harm in 'inoculating' but grabbing soil from local acacias as opposed to just letting it do it itself does not overcome the issue if there is a something very specific about phlebs.

but a number of acacias have gone wild overseas, so their ability to 'generalise' rhizobium is demonstrated.

On 09/02/2017 at 10:02 AM, Drake1337 said:

I have read about this a few times. (Only have access to my phone so am unable to locate the search bar on the mobile site.) Anyway l was wondering how some other members inoculate with rhizobia? I have tried looking for specific products l might be able to buy. Some members have said grab some soil from other acacia, would this be acceptable for A Courtii? And if you did inoculate what were your processes for applying? When they are seeds (during soaking)? Or after a soak and mix it in with germination medium? 

I have heard, most commonly, to take some soil from the vicinity of an established Acacia. I doubt that the exact variety would matter all that much. 

However, I find it easier to water my Acacia seedlings with the liquid drained off from sprouting lentils. Sometimes I throw a few sprouting lentils in too, for good measure. 

Last time I repotted an Acacia seedling, the roots were clustered with small round things that looked a lot like ... lentils! (Not my reason for trying this; just a coincidence).

My rationale is twofold: (1) Acacias and lentils are both legumes, (2) water ex sprouting is supposed to be good for plants. I water all of my plants this way, but especially Acacias. 

I dare say that in any case, as with Tricho species, the synergistic microbes will appear naturally, as a matter of course. (Wherever there is food, there shall be mouths to consume it, to paraphrase Darwin/Malthus.)

Somebody might like to conduct some A/B testing to see if there's anything to this sprout-water method.

I don't do any of this during the Acacia germination phase, only after the seedlings have legs to stand on, so to speak. 

• Like 1