The Corroboree
squidgygoanna

What's wrong with my Mimosa Hostilis?

Noticed these light spots on the leaves of my Mimosa. Environment hasn't changed, but growth seems to have slowed slightly.

20170111_153651.jpg

20170111_153651.thumb.jpg.9015a1a1d79cf91d1672d250cb0b41f7.jpg

20170111_153651.thumb.jpg.9015a1a1d79cf91d1672d250cb0b41f7.jpg

I can't really see it well enough from the photo. Are the spots discolouring of the leaves ? Or raised bumps ? If any of my plants ever get white spoty marks on the leaves first thing I do is check under the leaf for mites..

If there are no mites as per TBG's suggestion, it could be a deficiency of some sort.

Hopefully someone with more experience is able to advise, however in the meantime I'd apply a foliar sprayed dose of trace elements.

Best of luck.

Appears to be just a discolouration, will check for mites.

I recently applied some seasol Brendo, will that do the trick or should I use something else?

Something is having a munch by the looks of that, mites being the prime candidate. It's looks like you've got it in a greenhouse too, that would also favour mites.

Jurema can handle full sun from day one, even full mid summer sun. That thing won't handle full sun now as it's not acclimatised but if you can find a spot with similar light intensity outside the greenhouse and put it there for a while chances are the mites/pests will all fuck off.

• Like 1

Something is having a munch by the looks of that, mites being the prime candidate. It's looks like you've got it in a greenhouse too, that would also favour mites.

Jurema can handle full sun from day one, even full mid summer sun. That thing won't handle full sun now as it's not acclimatised but if you can find a spot with similar light intensity outside the greenhouse and put it there for a while chances are the mites/pests will all fuck off.

Plant is actually outdoors in full sun, has been since day one. Checked the leaves for mites today and couldn't spot any, could they be attacking the roots?

Appears to be just a discolouration, will check for mites.

I recently applied some seasol Brendo, will that do the trick or should I use something else?

Seasol should be fine. It can be applied to foliage so I'd spray all the leaves at either sunrise or sunset. Considering you've already fed it recently, I'd recommend diluting to 1/4 the strength you'd normally use.

Mites directly damage the leaves by feeding from them, I doubt they could be feeding on the roots and causing leaf damage like that. Mites are bloody small and sometimes hard to spot(magnifying glass comes in handy). it could also be old damage and the mites have vacated. 

Seasol is  a SOIL conditioner not a fertilizer, could use a fert such as 'powerfeed' with the addition of trace elements or 'Thrive' that already has trace elements in it.  From memory M. hostilis is nitrogen fixing so should not need a large amount of N.  Not sure what has caused the damage but would ensure media in the container dries out prior to watering and do not overhead water it.

• Like 1

Thanks for the tips everyone. Will get out in the garden this weekend and sort it out.

it was spidermite last time I had a tenuiflora do that for sure beyond all shadow of a doubt

... yellow garden sulphur ...and if you can find an atomizer spray that could take some alcohol ,

a few clouds of each ... 

something is defo sucking the goodness out of the leaves . is it in a pot mate?

Still warm enough in Vic to plonk it in the ground but do remember(as @Horus reminded me recently) the mimo hostil will grow massive rootsB) so plant it somewhere where you don't mind if it hulks up real quick, plus out there in the wild it will develop it's own defense system way stronger than in a pot-bound environment.

good luck bro and stickem in the soil.

use search and destroy tactics

find the bastards first and then apply the most effective detergent (fire)

$_35.JPG?set_id=2

Edited by DualWieldRake

I gave her some powerfeed and sprayed her down with some neem oil. Seems to be coming good now. I do have it in a pot as I'm renting atm and wanna wait til I've got my own place before I put her in the ground. Thanks for all the help!

• Like 1

spray d- limonene 50 50 with water , sorry bug pals 

-edit- scratch that idea, i think i burned a few cacti doing that ystd, maybe it was the sunshine at the time?

Edited by ☽Ţ ҉ĥϋηϠ₡яღ☯ॐ€ðяئॐ♡Pϟiℓℴϟℴ