The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
sagiXsagi

Ideal pot size for real and/or caespitosa lophs and diffusa

the real ones, I call one headers , lol, its quite suiting 

diffusa, fuck I lost one multiheadeder that was getting nicey but maybe was way over potted... 

anyways it depend on ones style of gardering and climate and all ... 

hey do lophos do yearly roots that they eject? I mean do they do some yearly rootlet production to incread carrot size? maybe or propably trout has figured out all these anywayz ..  but I wonder ... have grown some of these carrots for quite some years ...

I know caespitosa need relative more shallow pots, but how shallow? 

and I know the real ones need deep pots , but how deep? I think

each time I am re-pottining lophos or mandrake roots, I need to think If I have to up-pot-pot or down-pot ...  I am a "Funny" guy as I try different stuff.  Since i am tending to downsize thing this year, I might as well downsize them as well 

and I am going shallower on caespitosas as well... I think.. 

I am about to extract some good sized pups off my 2 prized one headers . pics later this week . 

wish me good luck 

• Like 4

specimen 2

note: they come from the same batch of nursery found seedlings, but from different individuals. I have them some 7-8 years, I hadn't ever take pups off them. 

P1150531.JPG

P1150530.JPG

P1150532.JPG

P1150531.thumb.JPG.d0e84146398948991a78c8e66da6ab22.JPG

P1150530.thumb.JPG.d6c134e05f2242931cf3b9d4a88cb949.JPG

P1150532.thumb.JPG.28caeb98cf1baeaf7c8d816671b54771.JPG

P1150531.thumb.JPG.d0e84146398948991a78c8e66da6ab22.JPG

P1150530.thumb.JPG.d6c134e05f2242931cf3b9d4a88cb949.JPG

P1150532.thumb.JPG.28caeb98cf1baeaf7c8d816671b54771.JPG

• Like 1

Wow! Those are some stunning cacti you've got there sagi! How old were they when you got them?

How shallow are you planning on going pot-wise for the caespitosas? Ive recently potted a newly bought caespitosa myself and am wondering if perhaps the pot may be too large as they dont have the same tap root structure.

Min 

Edited by Minmin
  • Like 1

minmin> 

as I like to say, it depends on the growing style. you can try different things.. I have tried to put caespitosas in larger pots, before I saw they dont go so deep. Its not a bad idea if you are careful with your waterings... Caespitosas are easier to grow than one-headers, but grow horizontally mostly...  

but still it depends on the size of your specimen.. Mine are big, with many many heads and if I dont sell them in a couple months, I plan to pot them in a pot with a couple cm deeper than the roots themselves, that is I should be leaving a couple cm for new root growth. Or split them further before I pot them. 

Its also not a bad idea to plant in a pan-type pot from the begining, then increase width and not particulalrly the depth.. 

also I could be more specific if you shared a photo. other people could share an opinion too. 

thesoe plants were pretty small when I got them, like 3-4 y.o from seed, still not flowering. The first 1-2 years I had them in an awful mix and they didn't grow almost at all ! .. then another year, one of them, the specimen 1 was damaged by propably magpies, severe beak damage, but it didnt loose its tip, it was forced to fatten and went on to take a different shape and pattern in the crown - up to that point they were identical.. specimen 1 has no regular ribs... its interesting to note that it grew to become bigger than the non-damaged one. 

specimen 2, yeah that twisting pattern is cool

Edited by sagiXsagi