The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
amoebarising

Loph Seed Storage (long term?)

Hi,

I've just received my first lot of Loph seeds. Unfortunately, I'm going away for work up to 3 months so I won't have time to sow any until after I return.

What are my options for long term storage if at all?

If they are stored in an air tight container and left in a dark draw with stable temperatures they will last for atleast 12 months, possibly alot longer. 

• Like 1

Thank you, @Change

The present weather here is a bit all over the place especially when it comes to humidity. Would the fridge or freezer be okay?

I havnt stored cactus seeds in the freezer before, so i cant comment on how effective that would be.

Maybe someone else here has and can give you details on their sucess or failures. 

• Like 1

Seeds stored in a freezer generally need to be dehydrated first so the ice crystals don't rupture the cell walls of the embryo. If the cell walls get ruptured the embryo will turn to mush when it's thawed out.

I store all my seeds in the fridge double bagged in ziplock bags so they don't dehydrate.

• Like 2

You can chuck one of those silica gel sachets into the bag to keep out moisture before the fridge or freezer. My tip.

• Like 1