The Corroboree
worowa

Pleurotus nebrodensis

I've been having lots of luck growing these critically endangered mushies.

They're delicious, meaty, and last for ages compared to most oysters.

I've got a bunch of cultures to trade...also have 2 pinks, gold, grey, white, sajo-cajur and king oysters, an amazing pioppino strain, nameko...

Keen on other cultures and/or interesting seeds.

• Like 6

Gday worowa the only plates I have to trade that are not on your list would be a reishi and a  lions mane. If your interested id love to try the pioppino and the nebrodensis. Cheers

Hey Will, if this is the culture you received from me many years ago, I've always questioned whether it really is Pleurotus nebrodensis. If memory serves me correctly, I received the culture from Paul (speedy); I'm not sure how he came to the conclusion it P. nebrodensis.

Interestingly, looking into it again now, I see Aloha Medicinals sells a culture of it (and uses one of my photos without permission - seems to be a few sites doing that with my photos), originating from China.

This article discusses some of the relevant taxonomy if you're interested.

Anyway, good to see you're enjoying the fruits of your labour!

Edited by tripsis
  • Like 1

Hey Will, if this is the culture you received from me many years ago, I've always questioned whether it really is Pleurotus nebrodensis. If memory serves me correctly, I received the culture from Paul (speedy); I'm not sure how he came to the conclusion it P. nebrodensis.

Interestingly, looking into it again now, I see Aloha Medicinals sells a culture of it (and uses one of my photos without permission - seems to be a few sites doing that with my photos), originating from China.

This article discusses some of the relevant taxonomy if you're interested.

Anyway, good to see you're enjoying the fruits of your labour!

Hi Tripsis, well it could be! I had a few ferulae and nebrodensis petris, made a few jars of spawn, then fruiting bags, then by the time they fruited, which took about 1 year, I couldn't see any label...cloned some, and going gangbusters ever since. 

I had 2 slightly different fruiting forms-1 made giant, long lasting fruits, the other much smaller, but still very similar morphology.

They both love calcium and cold...they could even be the same species. I hunted around for info., very little available.

Very different to eryngii in taste, texture and morphology.

Thanks again for the cultures way back when. Let me know if you ever want any.

The  culture that I had was originally from a mushroom that I bought from

Damian Pike ( mushroom seller at Prahran Market, Vic.).

When I asked Damian what type of mushroom it was and where he got it from ,

He told me that it was called 'snow mushroom' and that it was imported from Japan

I excised some tissue, put it onto several plates

and made some sterile cultures from that mushroom.

.... then cooked and ate what remained.

exactly how you described it Worowa..... 

meaty and delicious, abalone like.

The identity was really a guess on my part with

the limited information that I had at the time.

It seemed clear to me though, that it belonged in the P.eryngii complex of species. The only other species that I'd heard of were 

P. ferulae (P.eryngii var. ferulae) 

P. elaeoselini

P. nebrodensis

P. thapsiae

The Unicorn Bags website had a bit of info on the culture of 'Bailinggu' mushroom

where they referred to it as P.nebrodensis.

It may well be that it is in fact something else within the P.eryngii species complex.

a DNA sample may help shed some light on it she true identity.

it would be interesting to find out for sure.

Edited by gecko