The Corroboree
Matt1208

Is this site dying out ?

one finger typing on mobile devices has slowed my posts down somewhat

• Like 3

Funny the original post; I'd been thinking of SAB a lot more over the last week, although I think of the forum every time I water the plants. For some reason the last four years or so of my life suddenly got very busy and different - not always in good ways. I moved from Syd to Coffs just less than four weeks ago - head far less stressed but still insanely busy. I totally agree with what others have said. This site will never die 8-) 

• Like 3

the site is already awash in brilliant knowledge seeping from every crevice 

i feel I have no real input or can say anything thing that hasn't been said 

although

ill post as I will in time 

shit Still got nothing to prove 

work , gardening , mycological explorations , family , forays into real life explorations after untold time in the cavernous depths , experiencing life shit I've run out of time to sleep let alone shit or shave 

lucky if I sweep in once or twice a day with a like to bring an interesting topic to the spotlight of another SABer who maybe has an opinion on the subject that I may read an enjoy at a later date 

if I suddenly find myself with lack of beauty to be found in living life itself I'll spam the living crap out of the forum with knowledgable insights for less of a better phrase of terminology 

or maybe I'm rambling and none of this matters at all

if it's all just words in the wind 

or ones and zeroes on the intersnaz 

the corroboree with live on 

even if our perception and or participation changes 

:bong::wave-finger::blush::drool2::slap::wub:

or whatever and so on and so on and so on and so 

Edited by fozzking
West west North South East ya'll
  • Like 5

i think its definitely evolved over time, in the beginning there was lots of great minds breaking new ground on all kind of things. Unfortunately, i think, these days there isnt much new ground we can break while staying legal (if any). So unfortunately all that activity has fallen away. this site will never die though, lots of us have learnt skills to last us a life time and made great friends that will be forever. 

• Like 8

I am sort of sad that I missed the "golden age" everyone remembers so fondly, but I am very grateful this searchable resource exists.  Great place to land and I hope it sticks around for years to come.  

• Like 1

I highly doubt the site itself is ever going to go anywhere, just the people will come and go, I'm sure there will be many a golden age to come

This site makes it hard for noobs to become contributing members with the whole mod approval post thing.

To many rules kills web forums.

This site makes it hard for noobs to become contributing members with the whole mod approval post thing.

To many rules kills web forums.

I find too much spam kills sites much quicker and we've done a pretty good job of eliminating spam from this site.

SOME noob posts are moderated, but that only applies to the first few posts and only to a very small umber of new members. Essentially, if your sign up process matches certain criteria then you will be approved without moderation. This applies to about 80-90% of noobs. If you were put on mod queue then chances are you used TOR to sign up, or used an overseas IP, or your email address is a known spam source and was flagged by the system. If you look like a spammer then you need to put up with a bit of filtering for a few days.

• Like 6

Can I please be taken off moderation olease torsten. it did prevent me from getting more involved years ago..

i think its definitely evolved over time, in the beginning there was lots of great minds breaking new ground on all kind of things. Unfortunately, i think, these days there isnt much new ground we can break while staying legal (if any). So unfortunately all that activity has fallen away. this site will never die though, lots of us have learnt skills to last us a life time and made great friends that will be forever. 

Yep I agree. Although I regret the lack of sharing due to surveillance culture, it's also pretty reassuring to have the archives and the knowledge that lives on in places they can't yet get to :)

• Like 3

I have watched discussion forums evolve and apart from the obvious migration to social media I think peoole are more likely to check in with a miniaturised device these days.  It's harder to type and harder to reference other material or media, so people are less likely to participate or include their extended thoughts.

This is a tenacious bastion right here but it would be a mistake to ignore the writing on the wall... or rather the lack of it. 

Is the forum less active than it was in 2010? Or more?

less. but there's also less fights so it's not a bad trade off

• Like 2

Is the forum less active than it was in 2010? Or more?

I would say much less active as well.  i've never really been a social creature so i missed most of the fights,  i just see an overall drop in content.

well that's an interesting topic. Especially with all those posts of mine left unanswered recently, lol. Sometimes I think, while I type, that someones's gonna think "why does this dude doesn't use the search engine? - I do, I do,  but most of the time the threads are a personal question with a not so good worded title, so I try to start a thread with the form of " XXX  - cultivation notes and discussion "  , I want hear many opinions, that is my way of learning , many sources... that is like a megathread, like they do in some forums..  or like the sticky threads some other forums do,,,

other times while searching, I try to post to thread's that contain lots of information, even if they are older, and not open a new one, because they indeed have the character that a mega-thread could have. 

I almost never read chill space. I doesn't show but I am here from 2007-2008... I am from southern greece, but I have been here so long and this place is such a big place for me that I , kind of , feel semi-ozzie. When I watch ozzie films I think of SAB, and if I ever came to oz the first thing I would like to try to do is meet with some people from here. Really. You would be my  sightseeing. The fact that non- ozzie people regard this place as special and home is amazing, even in an anthropology sense, IMHO. 

SAB will never die. But since other forms of media indeed seem to be antagonistic, maybe we should use the forums superior structure to create something great .  

I am an egoist and individualist, but in the times we are going through, I understand the need of collectivizing of things, or at least trying it out.. 

Paradox said we should maybe try to get the content into a readable html form.

Why not trying to start an army of contributors which will complie info from threads for certain topics of interest in the form of monogrpah, f.e. Psychotria sp. = one single project resulting in a public megathread - monograph, which is going to be pinned.  Of fuck the pin, this should be done in a separate forum names SAB collective projects.. 

I know that "encyclopedia of psychoactive plants" has been done before, but, hey, we can make it better! We should make collective monographs , then publish them as books through crowd funding. 

and of course, our compilation of monogrpaphs will not focus on ethnobotany only (has been done)  but rather on botany and cultivation, among others...  but hey, I am jsut saying, we could discuss anything... 

who said most of the work is done??? I disagree, but if this is true, then lets compile it and publish it in collection of monographs written collectively and sponsored by SAB. WIth all the references , of course... 

I know it sounds somewhat kiddish , especially in such a thread, but hear out my drunken vision. 

NEW FORUM

we make list of plants that we are to contribute to , so as to make an even better monograph

and plants of little knowledge, for which we essentially attempt to write a monograph.. 

heck if we think this is fun, we can even create common plants like chilli - well they are psychoactive - or chives monographs. 

so, we make groups that compile material from the forum through the search engine and try to edit them and compile the best of it, essentially it should be a project of many perspectives, and many gardening collectives. 

A great goe that could be archieved , it would be to collectivele write a gardening book from many perspectives, many gardening styles and climates. monographs would f.e. both the notes of both a person that grows P.vridis in the tropics and the persons that grows it in the dry& warm mediterranean and the persons that grows it at zone 7. 

One knowledgable (or willing) person should be in charge of each monograph and everyone should be called and welcome to contribute in each monograph, even old , non active members could perhaps be called to contribute..

the trichocereus monograph has of course been written, heh, but eg could try to write an abstract or we should attempt to write an abstract and review after we read EG's book..

I dont know why I thought of this. Maybe because I am quite plant passionate these days. Maybe we do a nice retrospecive work, "what do we know up to know" ... 

I am willing to take up Ephedra sp. and Mandragora sp.  monographs, as I already am studiyng them 

I dont know where I should propose this, or if I should propose this elsewhere... 

I also want to say that this place has made me feel really like it accepts me. Kudos to T and the whole crew and members for that. I know I am somewhat an dick sometimes, at least that's how I come out, but this place has tolerated my aggressive tone. I value and respect this a great lot. 

PS: about the fights, I have said this elsewhere I dont mind saying again. We had fights with some dude, doesn't matter why it was a matter of dose, he was pro big dose and telling me i dont understand cause I am not doing enough, and I was telling him that it was a bad trip, and it meant he should do less... years after that, that dude PM'ed me and said how he missed our arguements.. It was a surprisingly sweet and even romantic message from a person with whom we had disagreed with passion... heh... this place is pagical... like I said, kudos to T 

Edited by sagiXsagi
  • Like 4

Before my account was approved it took a couple of months, not sure if this was an exception.

I intially went to shroomery cause they have easier picture upload functionality (not really a filesize limit), and also better display functionality (site won't scroll underneath the picture overlay)

I just wanted to keep some grow log for myself and the community is just added fun for me..

The (domain) name of this forum also had me hesitate to join here since i'm not from australia, but as you all got the most extensive and quality info couldn't pass up on this..

Possibly it makes sense for most of you to have people from similar climates/seasons on here tho

Lack of ssl certificate also doesn't help google results much btw

Edited by DualWieldRake
  • Like 1

All i can say is: PFFFT!

• Like 6

How can we get more traffic on the o

IMHO

Remove the crazy number of pinned threads blocking the view of newer stuff

Remove SWIM like policies so interesting discussions can evolve.

Remove half the retarded hippy userbase

sounds like a decent idea

ya maybe make it slightly less Aussiestraliocentric (:P)? to me this is the best ethnobotany forum online... what do y'all think? if it's not this one then which?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Teotzlcoatl said:

ya maybe make it slightly less Aussiestraliocentric (:P)? to me this is the best ethnobotany forum online... what do y'all think? if it's not this one then which?

The trade off would be not being able to access trades or giveaways overseas and if you did you'd fall into illegal territory. 

It may turn into a bit of a facebook group too like the dmt nexus

Or maybe im just racist ;)

Edited by TheMooseZeus
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Teotzlcoatl said:

Nah theres plenty of info around for other countries but australia. Sab is australian and we have a nice little ozzie CV trading ring here. You have thenook the nexus that mushroom one and that other mushroom one if you want americocentric ethno sites. This is basically the only ozzy site in existence apart from facebook so it yeah i think we should keep it oz focused. 

• Like 6

that's true discostu it is one of the only aussie sites, i just think its the best so id like to see it active and widely known! 

• Like 1