The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
2XB

tech support

Hi all-

I'm a little out of the loop technology wise, I was hoping some tech genius members could help me with some advice....

It appears my telstra netgear cg3100 cable modem/router is starting to fail, telstra tech support say its had it and of course I need to purchaSE a new modem....
My problem seems to be that the modem NAT are full (my problem seems consistent with this common complaint over the telstra supplied modems)... so i guess I need to disable nat on my modem and bridge a wireless router?????

The modem has seemed to be fine for a few years, only recently starting to drop out regularly...

Would love if anyone can tell me if I am on the right or wrong track and any suggestions for what I should buy if I need to purchase equipment- 

my requirements are to connect like 4 or 5 devices via wifi, with a reasonable range ( better than the cg3100 would be great as this modem struggles to serve my household) and..... should it be future ready...??? like this nbn thing i hear about??? oh and cheap :-)

Thanks in advance!

Assuming there is no extra traffic on your network it could be a hardware problem.

I'd try a few things before I rush out and buy a new modem/router.

Check the logs on the router and look for repeated disconnects from DoS attacks or repeated DEAUTH flooding.

If you don't find anything of interest in the logs, change your DNS servers that your network is using to open DNS or Google DNS. Sometimes a compromised router will have had it's DNS server changed so someone can remotely monitor your DNS requests and that can slow things down. Open DNS offers some level of protection against that and it's very fast and reliable. It might be worthwhile changing your WiFi network name and password while you are logged in to the router. You'll have to go through every device and change the connection details if you do though.

That last paragraph is assuming telstra hasn't installed some half arsed cut down firmware on your router that prevents you accessing all the settings.

You don't need to create an open DNS account to use their servers for DNS resolution, just set your router to use it.

https://www.opendns.com/setupguide/

Then go to shieldsup and run their diagnostics on your router. They probe your router from the WAN side & test for any problems. Chances are you will also learn a bit about NAT from the second link while you're there as well.

https://www.grc.com/shieldsup

https://www.grc.com/nat/nat.htm

It seems like it's just an older router not keeping up or starting to fail, but those steps above will give a few avenues to investigate before you ditch it and buy a new one.  The shieldsup site could help educate you before you do buy a new router.

Edited by Sallubrious