The Corroboree
sagiXsagi

Planting Trichocerei and other cacti in the ground general discussion

I know there are lots of threads with people showing their experience and pics with the wonderful ways they have created a cactus patch in ther garden and plot...  I thought I might create a thread with general tips and exchange of experiences and opinions on garden architecture with cacti (and succulents) 

I am thinking (well I should!) of placing a couple of cacti in the ground, some of which would definately be my biggest terschecki & pasacana  and a couple , propably 3 types of taquimbalensis wilka . Am thinking other columnars too, but also considering a huge astrophytum ornatum , a very wide notocactus and also a huge echinopsis grusonii I got.. ( well who is gonna lift these mountains I dont know, certainly not me :P ) 

but also smaller cacti, like perhaps making a patch with my largest Mammilarias. Well cacti I have. 

The area and chosen species to plant are tested for frost and the spot is completely sunny. 

As I saw the very interesting video from zelly the other day, I was thinking about distances from each other.  Zelly seem to have his trichocerei planted pretty dense (or they are so branched by now that the real distancing doesnt show. 

So I am wondering about the distances and all.. Of course there should be many more parameters: how big holes one is digging and to what extent the soil is "freshened" (dunno the term) by digging,  if one is adding fert in the holes (obviously a must-do) , but also how to handle the weeds by design (I think I am going with groundcover and stones) 

So I am not currently thinking of planting many Trichocerei of the pachanoi/peruvianus/etc family yet, but for sure planting 4-5 fatty trichos , perhaps a couple other culumnars, and some spherical ones...  

I suppose spines are a parameter in the distance seeing how teerschecki taquimbalensis and pasacana can reach 10 cm spine length if they are planted next oneother (which they should, plan to plant them in a row next to each other) .. perhaps they like it close but they might damage from spining each other ...  especially future pups and all... 

I any case, please share you experiences, how did you design your cacti patches?? I mean it might be somewhat easy when you have 1m^2 of surface, but its different in 15 m^2 or more. 

Ps: I suppose most people use the soil material present when making a cactus garden and enhancing them, so along with fertiliser material, one might want to also add some perlite for drainage, what do you think? 

Ps2: any recommendations on which plant to plant / sow  in between to fight weeds is more than welcome.. I am thinking chives, but this contradicts my plan for groundcover. maybe some succulent, some delosperma perhaps? Has anyone planted delosperma crawlers inbetween columnars? 

Edited by sagiXsagi
  • Like 1

sagi-

i recommend less thinking and more action

• Like 2

I am having the most action my back problem and other shit allow, besides, I enjoy drinking beer, thinking and making plans

so

you among all people could add something useful in here , or not  

This is a great idea for a thread sagiXsagi. 

I would like to see pictures with a brief explanation and USDA Hardiness Zone.  That would go a long way to moving many of us in the community toward making the leap. 

• Like 1

I enjoy drinking beer, thinking and making plans

a multitasker eh? 

well then I would recommend a beer in one hand and a shovel in the other. 

• Like 6

im planting mine in rows, I like rows.

rows 3m apart, plants in the rows 2m apart. mainly for ease of viewing, wandering and mowing.

no ferts, no big holes, just straight in the ground, no hand watering...yet, ill just play that as it comes.

• Like 2

I just planted a few around a house I work at; a year later they are all doing fine. I didn't think too far ahead and planted a trichocereus terscheckii just over a foot away from the wall in the back. I didn't fertilize initially but did add some top soil and slow release ferts due to very sandy native soil. I didn't really work the soil to loosen it but there is a rock layer just 6 inches deep. If it was my land/house I would have dug deeper to loosen the soil a bit but I'm sure that the roots will work their way deeper and will run far and wide. Some cacti in the back are in too much shade but were planted in the summer time where they get sunlight. I've also planted a well calloused unrooted cutting directly on top of the soil maybe just 1 inch deep and it rooted and is growing fine (besides not getting enough sunlight now)

In a few years the close proximity of the cacti I planted will cause issues but I can just remove those that are a problem or just prune back ;) I hope I am able to get flowers before their size becomes an issue.

The soil here is already quick draining so I didn't need to amend the soil other then some ferts due to poor soil. Perlite seems like a terrible additive as it will eventually float to the surface after heavy rains. Pumice would be a better option or even any others like lava rock.

I'm in zone 10b and don't get anywhere near freezing temps rarely get sub 45 temps.

• Like 1

On 04/11/2016 at 0:12 PM, zelly said:

a multitasker eh? 

well then I would recommend a beer in one hand and a shovel in the other. 

That's how I garden

• Like 1

I dont have a camera currently, I will take some shot eventually... 

I have put some cacti in the ground in the past, some in real wild state, some of them are doing fine considering (some have survived a fire) , but they are either in a terribly weedy state and far away from home they have been unattended for some time and need a clean up , or  close, but in pretty inadequate spot light wise.. 

The spot I am now thinking has very nice conditions for something more special , planned and tidy, that's why I am thinking of planting some of my favourites there

Edited by sagiXsagi