The Corroboree
MountainGoat

Free fruit plants - you pay postage...

Hey all, I've got too many plants... I'm offering a few for free, takers pay postage and box...

Ive got several Rollina deliciosa, abiu, and curry leaf seedlings. I've also got a few cuttings of aibika striking now too...

Let me know if your keen...

• Like 5

You've made me drool all over the keyboard. I love those weird Annonaceae fruits, but sadly I think the mostly-subtropical but also hard-frosting climate that I'd be planting them in would not be their happy place. Can I pay postage for regular packages of fruit instead?

I'm also jealous of people who have proper cold winters and can grow apples & stonefruit. And gardeners who have Mediterranean climates. And tall people. And sea lions.

I feel pretty ripped off that we have changed the climate of this planet so much, and I still can't grow cherries and coconuts together in my backyard - remind me why we're doing it again?

We now take a break from Anodyne's tangents to return to the original thread topic, which was MountainGoat offering up sumptuous food plants for FREE! You champion! Moderate tropic-envy; much love. :worship:

• Like 6

@Anodyne My trees aren't fruiting size yet, but I'll remember you when they finally get there... Im happy if you want some of these seedlings to try anyway. There'll be new seedlings of different things after the tropical fruit season...

If you're struggling with coconuts, have you tried growing jubaea chilensis? It's friggin awesome, coconuts the size of macadamias, better tasting, HUGE palms from central Chile. You can get seeds from chileflora.com in march/April. 

• Like 1

I must admit I've never even thought about trying to grow coconuts in NSW, and have never heard of jubaea chilensis, they sound like a real possibility - drought-tolerant, wet-tolerant, (relatively) frost-tolerant. And having coconuts (or tiny imitation-coconuts) would be one step closer to having a self-sufficient garden. Thanks for the tip!

• Like 1

its a rarity, only native to one valley in parque nacional la campana. I found them by good fortune really, a mate and I were fear and loathing style our way through chile, jumping from national park to national park in a beat up car we bought. We were out of food, and the nuts looked edible, so gave them a try. Out of the few fruits and berries there this was the one that felt the best. We later found out that they are highly prized for their nuts. Its a protected species, there's 'banditos de cocitos" (small coconut bandits) that get into the national park with mules and load up and try to sell them on the black market. We were actually stopped at a road block on our way out of the park for the car to be searched for them, we had a sack full, but I didn't speak spanish at that stage and they just let us through because it was too much effort to get us to understand.... Good times and a great find...  

• Like 5

ps. They are definitely frost resistant. I've heard they can go down to -15 or something. Canadians seem to love them as they can grow them there... It is the only species in the genus jubaea 

Sounds sweet as , MountainGoat 

how generous of you 

pm sent 

• Like 1

They arrived today

look fantasticly health

Thanks for the couple bonuses 

Thanks once again for sharing 

really was quite nice of you to give these away even if it was only to free up space haha B)

Cheers 

Do you still have any of your fruit trees left? I would absolutely love to have any one of those in my collection. Please let me know if you have any left. :)

• Like 1

yeah mate, i've got loads of different fruit seedlings that i'm happy to share... but are you in Oz? 

Hi Mountain Goat very generous im keen as bean if you have any left im in nsw also looking for some dragon fruit cuttings?

Cheers

Thanks will pop you a msg 2morrow im a newbie stuck on 1pm a day doh ;)