The Corroboree
thoughts

P. Viridis Help

Hey guys I'm wondering if you can give me a hand my p. viridis has started to develop brown patches and a yellowish fading of the leaves the past week. It is kept in a hot house (shaded area) and misted regularly for humidity. Any ideas what might be happening?

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.e589ad3ce7123d47854d58beebe407f1.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.6fb55914a67a030803af806fa03dfd7d.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.e589ad3ce7123d47854d58beebe407f1.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.6fb55914a67a030803af806fa03dfd7d.jpeg

Fungus gnats? Similar looks anyways deficiency wise. So long as your soil is a good mix and it's not a nute/micronute problem is say gnats. Also considering you day you water and mist often, perfect gnat house! Neam oil or pyrethrum will help but make sure to kill the larvae cycles if it indeed turns out to be the dreaded flying fungus gnat.

infact if you put a slice of potatoe on the soil surface gnat larvae should appear and look like little white worms at the soil surface 

Hmm. Would you reccomend neem oil as a foliar spray or in the soil to help combat the problem? Are there any other preventative measures I can take to deter the buggers? Unfortunately I don't have any potatoes at the moment but next time I do I'll see if I can spot some...

Some mites will also cause damage like that. Sometimes you need a loupe or a magnifying glass to spot them though. Knowing your enemy is the best way to design a strategy to eradicate them with a selective treatment. Those little magnifying lenses for mobile phones are a great tool for that, you can take a pic & then zoom right in to see what's going on.

For a quick broad spectrum knockdown of unknown pests you can make a fumigator using a normal bucket and ordinary fly spray. Put the pot in the bucket and spray fly spray in it until it's fogged up in the bucket, don't directly spray the plant or the potting mix though.  Cover the bucket to keep the fog in and wait for an hour or so.

Then re-pot it into some fresh potting mix & don't ingest any of the foliage until new leaves have grown back.

• Like 1